Bushing extraction

/ Bushing extraction #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've got to remove some bushings from the end of the dipper on my backhoe. It appears that either the wrong 'length' bushings where used, or they somehow moved. The upshot is that I cannot get the bucket off.

What are ways to do this? Are their simple (cheap?) tools like a gear puller type of thing?

What can I expect?

Thanks.
GregM

/ Bushing extraction
I have always just driven them out using a good sized hammer and punch that is slightly smaller than the pin to be driven. The main thing is to be sure everything is supported properly so that it does not fall down on you !

/ Bushing extraction #3  
Yep, drive them out. Mine was very tight the first couple times. Partly due to paint on the inside of the holes. You could use some 3/4 or 1" rod, etc.. thats what I used on the first pin. Then I took a punch and marked a point in the center and used the air hammer to gently drive them out. When putting them back in again I cleaned up the paint and greased the pin. Still had to tap on it firmly with the 5lb hammer.

/ Bushing extraction #4  
The old BFH and long driver punch to drive them out is usually the way. But I also used an air chisel with a bushing driver bit if you have or can get one. Has the bushing spun or elongated the hole in the dipperstick? Some bushings I had to use a BIG slide hammer with a pulling paw to get them out. It is a PITA job when they are all pooched up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good luck on the task.

/ Bushing extraction
The previous two responses seem to be about the pin, and not the bushings.

If I understand your answer, there are two things required:
1) A slide hammer (BIG)
2) A pulling paw.

or

1) An air chisel
2) a bushing Driver bit

I'll look around for these.

GregM

/ Bushing extraction #6  
They way I read it was you needed to get the bucket off first(I.E. remove the pins) before you could get to the bushings.

An air hammer and bushing driver would make short work out of removing the bushing.

/ Bushing extraction
Help me out with the bushing driver. Where would I find such a beast.

GregM

/ Bushing extraction
To restate, I can't get the bucket off the backhoe, because the bushings hold it on even after the pin's are removed. The bushings seem to be too long. It's a little hard to explain.

GregM

/ Bushing extraction #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Help me out with the bushing driver. Where would I find such a beast. )</font>

I'd try Harbor freight, NorthernTool, Sears, Napa, etc...

/ Bushing extraction #10  
Sounds to me like the bushings may have worked their way out of the diperstick mount hole and holding the bucket in place. You may have to drive them back in enough to allow the bucket to drop off. BE VERY CAREFUL doing this as any fingers and hands in proximity of the bucket and links could be injured, not to mention feet and toes when the bucket drops. I would lower the bucket to the ground or as close as possible to minimize the risk.