Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #21  
I purchased a used Kubota L3240 five years ago and it came with lots of issues, It was a private party sale, and I knew little about tractors other than what I'd read on forums like this. Kubota gets a lot of good recommendations, but I guess those folks never had an L3240. First thing I had to do was split the tractor to replace an impeller shaft seal on the transmission. Found out that's not an uncommon problem.

Then I bent the 3PH linkage backing up with the box scraper. Straightened that out with a hydraulic press, and now I don't back up with the box down.

Next to go was the cover plate on one of the front 4WD hubs, which caused the wheel to fall off. Had to limp it back to the garage using the FEL to hold the front end up. Apparently the design is too weak to take much side load, and living on a hillside side loads are unavoidable.

Once back together, one of the couplings between the impeller shaft and the front axle stripped as I was headed down hill with a load of rock in the bucket. There are no brakes on the front axle and with all the weight up front the back wheels just slid when I hit the brakes. The thing took off down the hill like a rocket and the only thing that kept me out of the lake at the bottom was dropping the bucket. When I removed the failed coupler I found the splines on the ID completely worn off while those on the impeller shaft were fine. Sure, nothing lasts forever, but total failure on a safety critical part like that after only 1300 hours?

The main pivots on the FEL boom arms were shot when I got it, and yesterday I finally started in on a repair. Turns out Kubota didn't use bushings on the pivots, the box sections on the loader arms are too thin to use with a magnetic based drill, and I'm not man enough to keep a 1 3/16" drill from spinning out of my hands. I've got a mill, so I've started to disassemble the FEL so I can move the arms to the shop. That's when I found that the welds that hold the stiffener tube between the two loader arms are cracked half way around on each side. That's maybe a good thing because I may have to separate the arms anyway to get them on the mill so I can re-bore the pivot hole.

Two years ago I replaced the FEL mounts because the old ones broke and my attempts to weld repair them also broke. The dealer gave me a "good will" discount, but it still cost almost $1000 for the replacements. When the new ones finally showed up they had been re-designed with thicker sections where the old ones broke, and an Internet search showed that I wasn't the first to have the same problem. When I asked the dealer for some help with the cost, both he and the Kubota warranty person accused me of abusing the tractor. The only abuse that tractor's seen is hauling bucket after bucket of dirt and gravel around the property as I graded and landscaped my home. But as I said, a lot of that was side hilling, and after maybe 1000 1/4 mile trips, the weaknesses in the design became apparent.

My tractor has the HST, and with all the shuttle work it's done, and with mowing, it's easily the best part of the tractor. I really like just having one pedal as well.

If all you want to do is mow, push snow, and maybe rake out a gravel drive once in a while, the Kubota would probably work out just fine. But like my neighbor with a JD says, if you want to build something, you're going to need more of a construction grade tractor, and it'll be either yellow or green.

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #22  
I purchased a used Kubota L3240 five years ago and it came with lots of issues, It was a private party sale, and I knew little about tractors other than what I'd read on forums like this. Kubota gets a lot of good recommendations, but I guess those folks never had an L3240. First thing I had to do was split the tractor to replace an impeller shaft seal on the transmission. Found out that's not an uncommon problem. Then I bent the 3PH linkage backing up with the box scraper. Straightened that out with a hydraulic press, and now I don't back up with the box down. Next to go was the cover plate on one of the front 4WD hubs, which caused the wheel to fall off. Had to limp it back to the garage using the FEL to hold the front end up. Apparently the design is too weak to take much side load, and living on a hillside side loads are unavoidable. Once back together, one of the couplings between the impeller shaft and the front axle stripped as I was headed down hill with a load of rock in the bucket. There are no brakes on the front axle and with all the weight up front the back wheels just slid when I hit the brakes. The thing took off down the hill like a rocket and the only thing that kept me out of the lake at the bottom was dropping the bucket. When I removed the failed coupler I found the splines on the ID completely worn off while those on the impeller shaft were fine. Sure, nothing lasts forever, but total failure on a safety critical part like that after only 1300 hours? The main pivots on the FEL boom arms were shot when I got it, and yesterday I finally started in on a repair. Turns out Kubota didn't use bushings on the pivots, the box sections on the loader arms are too thin to use with a magnetic based drill, and I'm not man enough to keep a 1 3/16" drill from spinning out of my hands. I've got a mill, so I've started to disassemble the FEL so I can move the arms to the shop. That's when I found that the welds that hold the stiffener tube between the two loader arms are cracked half way around on each side. That's maybe a good thing because I may have to separate the arms anyway to get them on the mill so I can re-bore the pivot hole. Two years ago I replaced the FEL mounts because the old ones broke and my attempts to weld repair them also broke. The dealer gave me a "good will" discount, but it still cost almost $1000 for the replacements. When the new ones finally showed up they had been re-designed with thicker sections where the old ones broke, and an Internet search showed that I wasn't the first to have the same problem. When I asked the dealer for some help with the cost, both he and the Kubota warranty person accused me of abusing the tractor. The only abuse that tractor's seen is hauling bucket after bucket of dirt and gravel around the property as I graded and landscaped my home. But as I said, a lot of that was side hilling, and after maybe 1000 1/4 mile trips, the weaknesses in the design became apparent. My tractor has the HST, and with all the shuttle work it's done, and with mowing, it's easily the best part of the tractor. I really like just having one pedal as well. If all you want to do is mow, push snow, and maybe rake out a gravel drive once in a while, the Kubota would probably work out just fine. But like my neighbor with a JD says, if you want to build something, you're going to need more of a construction grade tractor, and it'll be either yellow or green.

Sounds like you bought an abused tractor my friend. Bad luck.

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #23  
I was in about the same boat you are in. I about had my mind made up on an new LS XR4046 but the tier 4 stuff made me re-think and I ended buying 2007 Kubota L3940 with 600 hours on it instead. Been happy with my decision so far.

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #24  
But like my neighbor with a JD says, if you want to build something, you're going to need more of a construction grade tractor, and it'll be either yellow or green.

Apparently he's never looked at Massey/CAT-Challenger/AGCO (same tractor, built my Iseki) ... When I was comparing different tractors, these tractors appear to have heavier/thicker built components (axles, loader parts, 3pt parts) than the green ones.

Last edited:
   / Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #25  
We just bought a DK55 and you get a lot of bang for your buck with Kioti. It's a little noisy in the cab, but still a really nice unit!

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti
Well was planning to visit Kubota Dealer and look over the used L4240 in detail and try to negotiate a bit more but got email from dealer that it has been sold. Finally got a price on a Yanmar LX4500HST at 26,900. Specs look similar to Kubota L4060, maybe a bit more 3PT and Loader lift capacity and 5 year powertrain warranty and it does have the Tier 3 engine. Just worry about the dealer as they are basically a lawn tractor chainsaw dealer. Got prices on an LS XR4040 and LS XR4060, spec's look good prices are about 1,500 more than comparable Kioti. Dealer is about 40 miles away but sounds like a great dealer. May drive over and check them out. Trivial but not a fan of the blue color and worry about resale on the LS. So back looking at the Kioti DX4510HS and then I read a forum thread on Shuttle Shift vs HST and so now trying to decide if I should just spend the bucks and get an HST model. Need to get a price on the Kioti DK4510HST to compare to prices on Kubota L4060 which has been priced to me at 27,000. Then again I may read a few more forum posts and end up changing my mind again. Have thought about renting a tractor to do some initial maintenance on my property and see if that helps with my decision making process, but I hate to spend money on a rental that I could put towards tractor purchase. Thankfully, I have to go out of town for two weeks so I will have to put a lot of this on hold. Maybe I will get lucky and a used Tier 3 40+HP Kioti or Kubota will pop up while I am gone. Never knew tractor shopping would be so hard!!!

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #27  
   / Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #28  
Well was planning to visit Kubota Dealer and look over the used L4240 in detail and try to negotiate a bit more but got email from dealer that it has been sold. Finally got a price on a Yanmar LX4500HST at 26,900. Specs look similar to Kubota L4060, maybe a bit more 3PT and Loader lift capacity and 5 year powertrain warranty and it does have the Tier 3 engine. Just worry about the dealer as they are basically a lawn tractor chainsaw dealer. Got prices on an LS XR4040 and LS XR4060, spec's look good prices are about 1,500 more than comparable Kioti. Dealer is about 40 miles away but sounds like a great dealer. May drive over and check them out. Trivial but not a fan of the blue color and worry about resale on the LS. So back looking at the Kioti DX4510HS and then I read a forum thread on Shuttle Shift vs HST and so now trying to decide if I should just spend the bucks and get an HST model. Need to get a price on the Kioti DK4510HST to compare to prices on Kubota L4060 which has been priced to me at 27,000. Then again I may read a few more forum posts and end up changing my mind again. Have thought about renting a tractor to do some initial maintenance on my property and see if that helps with my decision making process, but I hate to spend money on a rental that I could put towards tractor purchase. Thankfully, I have to go out of town for two weeks so I will have to put a lot of this on hold. Maybe I will get lucky and a used Tier 3 40+HP Kioti or Kubota will pop up while I am gone. Never knew tractor shopping would be so hard!!!

I think you are confusing your Kioti models.

The old tier 3 models (in this size) were the DS and DK. The DS series were the more "basic" tractors (similar to Kubota MX) and the DK were the premium line packed with features. The DS series did NOT come with HST, but did have a hydraulic shuttle.

Fast forward to tier 4... The DK series moved onto the "NX" series, and the DS are now called DK. Seems overly confusing, and I'm not sure why they bothered with the name changes.

Anyhow, the current new "DK" tractors do not, to my knowledge, come in HST... Unless they are adding that to the "DS" line for the new models.

To add even more confusion, ironically, the original DK series became the DS series several years ago, when the "new" (tier 3) DK tractors were rolled out.

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti #29  

It's easy for me to spend someone else's money, but in deciding on features vs. price you need to remember an old saying: You will remember the money you saved buying a cheap tool every time you use it.

This doesn't exactly apply to your situation, but you don't want to be in the position of wishing you had spent a few more dollars on some features (such as HST transmission) that would make your tractor work better/faster for you.

/ Buying Advice Used Kubota or New Kioti
TSO you are correct. I was confused the DK4510HS is the hydraulic shuttle not the hydrostatic transmission. I will need to move up to the NX series to get the HST. So now my mission is to compare the features and prices of NX4510HST with the Kubota L4060HST and maybe throw the Yanmar LX4500TL into the equation as well. I wish the tractor dealers were all next to each other like the car dealers!!!