BX filter relocation

/ BX filter relocation #1  

sandyc

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX 2380
Just bought and installed the Botaproducts filter kit. Excellent execution and quality. Gave me the gumption to take care of this problem. The Kubota filter they supply is for the L series tractor which has a positive on/off valve and is made of metal. The bowl is translucent so you can see if there are contaminants or water. The filter mount will outlive anything I can throw at it!

/ BX filter relocation #2  
If I had a BX, I would also do this modification.
I did a similar job on (2) ZD mowers which have a similar filter setup, although I used a large spin on type 2 micron filter. I still have another ZD and L4060 to possibly modify also.
How about a picture?

/ BX filter relocation
Trying to upload a pic
20210312_145257_03.jpeg

/ BX filter relocation #4  
I’ve had mine sitting here since fall. Haven’t had time. I endured gelling this winter, which I believe to be an issue with the first factory filter sitting right at the hydro fan getting a steady stream of ice cold air being drawn to the tranny. I will get my new filter installed before the mower goes on. Then I’ll order a few spare filters for the shelf. I’m still considering installing a set of quick disconnects to change the factory filter on the side of the block.

On a side note, I just ordered yesterday the replacement steering boots from the same guy. I still may sleeve the replaced boots on the tie rods with bicycle inner tubes and zip ties just to keep them protected.

/ BX filter relocation
I didn’t have any gelling yet, we’ve had a warmer than normal winter, but decided to change things out on my time not the randomness of the weather. Lying on cardboard on a cement floor at my age is bad enough and can’t imagine trying to change filters in the snow outside.

/ BX filter relocation #6  
I installed a similar system years ago that I put together myself and is pictured on TBN somewhere. I’m still using the original filter element and it’s nice to have a clear bowl beneath the filter to check for contaminants. I still have the filter in the engine compartment and have had zero problems.

/ BX filter relocation #7  
I’m not sure why Kubota has two filters on the BX other than covering themselves due to a poorly designed filter system that utilizes poor filters. After have a small engine business for 9 years when I was young, the Kubota filters aren’t much better than those used on a lawnmower or snowmobile. That said, I’m sure the secondary filter should remain very clean since the primary filter should snag 99% of the debris. When I install the new L-type filter and bowl, I’ll replace the secondary, and probably make it habit to do the secondary every time I change the primary. For the $4.95, it’s cheap insurance in my book.

/ BX filter relocation #8  
I’m not sure why Kubota has two filters on the BX other than covering themselves due to a poorly designed filter system that utilizes poor filters. After have a small engine business for 9 years when I was young, the Kubota filters aren’t much better than those used on a lawnmower or snowmobile. That said, I’m sure the secondary filter should remain very clean since the primary filter should snag 99% of the debris. When I install the new L-type filter and bowl, I’ll replace the secondary, and probably make it habit to do the secondary every time I change the primary. For the $4.95, it’s cheap insurance in my book.

My Cummins has two fuel filters. I'm no mechanic but everybody I've talked to says it was a giant step forward for diesels.

/ BX filter relocation #9  
Is it pretty stout? I could see it getting hit, there.

/ BX filter relocation #10  
I've had mine for over three years. Best mod I ever made to the tractor. Very stout, haven't hit it with anything....yet. It's a relief knowing I don't have to change the OEM filter any more, and this one is much bigger and of course highly visible.