BX2230 bush hog

/ BX2230 bush hog #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I just "inherited" a BX2230 with FEL, 60" mid mower, and a 48" tiller. Need a mower for rougher stuff, pasture. Our land is not level, as in mountain steep. I am wondering about the size of bush hog to get. I can find 4' units used, have not seen a 42" used yet. Can I use a 4' or do I need to go smaller? Or, would it be better to look for a flail mower? Size?

/ BX2230 bush hog #2  
I run a 62" Woodmaxx Flail mower on my BX2200 and it works fine for mowing tall grasses.

I recommend either a 48"/54" flail mower or a nice 48" rotary brush mower.

If you are mowing mostly tall grass, then go with a flail mower. If you are planning on hitting rocks and hard stuff, get a rotary brush cutter.

/ BX2230 bush hog #3  
I use a 4’ Landpride R1248 on my B2320 and it handles it fine through a lot more than pasture. Little bigger motor than your BX but PTO HP close. Where I cut looked just like where I didn’t before I started. IMG_0342.JPG

/ BX2230 bush hog #4  
I also run a Landpride R1248, use it on a BX2200 as well as BX2660. Woods use to make a 42", but you'll be fine with a 48". The 3PH is a bit different, so a cutter designed for a SCUT, LP, KK and Woods makes them.

/ BX2230 bush hog
I'm leaning toward a new 47" Bellonmit flail from AgriSupply. Seems light enough for the tractor, and I like the cut of a flail. I use a 26"flail with my BCS, love it and it will go place I can't take 4 wheels. I'm just too old/lazy to mow 7-8 acres with a walk behind.

/ BX2230 bush hog
Ok, Final report. I ended up with the 47" Bellonmit flail from AgriSupply. Tractor seems to handle it fine, will cut head high weeds no problem. 2-3' thick fescue will slow it down, but I think that grass would slow anything down. the mulch cut is much better for me than what a bush hog would leave. Even took out some decent size multiflora rose today. Over all I'm happy, just need to figure out how to get more traction for these hills, and what the slope limits are for this little tractor.

/ BX2230 bush hog
OK, now that I have used it a little more. Added chains to the rear, a real difference in traction. Dismounted FEL, seemed to help stability, but I will need to add some front end weights. Hills are steep enough I have to back down, mow up. No turn around at the bottom. Front end is a little light going up, have to be real careful if I need to pick up the mower. Still like the way it cuts. With my slopes, I would not want a mower any bigger or heavier for the B2230.

/ BX2230 bush hog #8  
I ran a 48" Brush Bull on my 2660 and leave the FEL on for front end weight. I too go straight up and down the fall line. I keep the FEL as low as possible for stability reasons. When traction is sketchy, I'd loaded the FEL with some gravel and that seemed to help. For me, ground conditions have to be right or I can't make it up the hill, so I gauge my mowing by that. Here in the foothills I can't run the mower much past 6/10 due to fire fears and the grass is about baked by then anyway. I sold the BB last year as I had gotten the slope to the point that I could handle it with the MMM. I needed it the first few years though.