BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities
GenLee,
you will be VERY impressed with the BX23S. The BX1870 isn`t near the machine that the BX23S is. Buy it..! You wont be sorry.
It is a VERY strong tractor... i was very surprised on what a powerhouse it is for its size. I got the quick-attach FEL on mine.
Its capabilities will amaze you.

Thank you. I'm leaning towards getting it. Decision has to be made by tomorrow to get the current incentives.

I'm curious how many here use the BH w/ the MMM attached? I'm assuming on level clear ground it shouldn't be a problem except losing some ground clearance. AND is it a "MUST" to have the loader attached when doing BH work? for stability reasons? This will be primarily mowing this summer and trying to get a feel how much I'll have to be removing the Loader, BH and MMM depending on the job.

I don't want the loader or BH on while mowing. Lets say I need the BH for a quick job....does MMM have to come off and Loader need to be on?

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #12  
Geez, all day to dig around a 12'' stump? I understand I have to dig around a stump to loosen it up and probably cut some trouble roots, I'm fine with that. Can always loosen it up and pull it with my bigger tractor. But all day for a stump? I must be underestimating 2000 pound digging force. But this is the feed back I'm looking for. Thank you.

Must of been alotta standing around and looking at it...lol.
It only took me 2 to 2-1/2hrs to dig just one out that was 2+ft in diameter.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #13  
Thank you. I'm leaning towards getting it. Decision has to be made by tomorrow to get the current incentives.

I'm curious how many here use the BH w/ the MMM attached? I'm assuming on level clear ground it shouldn't be a problem except losing some ground clearance. AND is it a "MUST" to have the loader attached when doing BH work? for stability reasons? This will be primarily mowing this summer and trying to get a feel how much I'll have to be removing the Loader, BH and MMM depending on the job.

I don't want the loader or BH on while mowing. Lets say I need the BH for a quick job....does MMM have to come off and Loader need to be on?

GenLee,
that BX23S can have ALL 3 implements on the tractor at the same time.
Yes, ground clearance is limited with the MMM on it, but i know you know that already.
And yes, if you have the BH on it, do the smart thing, put the FEL on it for stability.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #14  
You are going to be very impressed with how fast you can take the FEL & BH on/off this BX23S tractor.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #15  
The only thing i find disappointing with the BX23S is, is how fast you can dig with the BH... mainly because you`re gonna get tired of getting on an off the tractor & flipping the seat back an forth...lol. Make sure your steering wheel is fully tilted forward so the seat will clear it when flipping back an forth from BH to tractor position. And KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR OF THE SEAT when locking it back into position both ways. And watch out for the little rear fender tool box, the seat CAN hit it if your not watching for it.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities
The only thing i find disappointing with the BX23S is, is how fast you can dig with the BH... mainly because you`re gonna get tired of getting on an off the tractor & flipping the seat back an forth...lol. Make sure your steering wheel is fully tilted forward so the seat will clear it when flipping back an forth from BH to tractor position. And KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR OF THE SEAT when locking it back into position both ways. And watch out for the little rear fender tool box, the seat CAN hit it if your not watching for it.

I saw a video of a guy using a board (like a 2x4) to turn around and reach the forward peddle, to move the tractor some to re position to dig. Eliminates getting off the tractor for minor movements.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #17  
I saw a video of a guy using a board (like a 2x4) to turn around and reach the forward peddle, to move the tractor some to re position to dig. Eliminates getting off the tractor for minor movements.

BAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAAAAA, thats a great idea....lol lol lol, i`ll be trying that trick myself...!!!...lol
To bad kubota didnt put a temp drive lever in the BH position just for that reason alone. Liability reasons i guess.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #18  
It's a Sub Compact Utility Tractor just like your BX1870. The BH on the SCUT is good for home landscaping as is the FEL. The SCUT isn't as good for mowing as are the F and Zero turn mowers and shouldn't be. It's a SCUT and the BX23/24/25/23S are the Swiss Army knife of tractors. It does a bunch of different things but none of them as good as the jobs dedicated machines nor should it.
Digging stumps with a BX?? BH is a task that is doable but very time consuming and as already has been pointed out a stump in sand can be removed much quicker than a stump in clay and size and type root structure/tap root/feeder roots all make a difference. Anyone comparing sizes of tree stump alone in time it took has no clue as to tree structure and soil makeup. I've spent hours on a 12" stump and under hours on 24" stumps so no way to compare them but the BX?? will always be slower than a B or L or B21/26 heavier stronger hydraulics machine which cost more.
I'm an old supporter of BXs but they are what they are. I'd much rather have a BX23s than a BX18?? because of the BH but it costs more and twice on the BX series I felt it was worth paying the difference but it didn't match the BH on my B nor did the BX cost as much or weigh as much as the B.
Love what you got and compare what you have actual experience with in similiar situations but book reading/sales brochures don't match actual on the ground personal experience. Some times it's best to not try and compare but to tell ones actual experience with clear description of working conditions and how many helpers it took to do the job. I almost always work alone and it makes a big difference vs having helpers which is OK as long as it's told so everyone can understand and then make their own decision and not take everything someone else does different so personal. :2cents:

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #19  

This really is the most annoying thing about the tractor, but I knew that going in. The BX23S is a good little tractor. I am clearing some woods and I am digging out stumps every weekend. Some come out easy, some make me say some not so nice words to them. It all depends on the tree and what it is growing in. If you are patient and take your time, you can get them. You will need an axe or chainsaw for the larger roots, unless you want to dig a very big hole. As long as you know you don't expect to just reach out and rip them out of the ground, you will find the 23S to be up to the task. My thoughts....

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #20  
having a bx24 for many years--- i find that its really no trouble to drop the bh and fel to do mowing. i do leave my mmm on at times when using the bh -- most of the time i dont need the clearance underneath or deck sticking out the side - but thats the beauty of the bx -- its has " implements" not a attached mower deck, permanent mounted bh .etc . you can just go by whats your needs are that day and decide - do i leave it on or drop it.
in a single day i have tilled with BX with MMM, dropped tiller - mowed the lawn, hooked up the FEL picked up grass clippings with it and dumped in compost, hooked up a BH for a small stump, left mmm on and then disconnected everything (fel,BH,mmm) and attached post hole digger for a job next day and loaded the trailer . gonna push 50 soon.. np !

i wouldnt sweat the details buddy -- if you want a bx with BH - go for it. even if you finish everything you wanted the BH for - it will still be useful once awhile for the rest of your life as long the tractor is still running. no rental fees to deal with and no racing renting clock, dropping it off all clean or dealing with deposit and stuff.