Bxpanded piranha tooth bar

/ Bxpanded piranha tooth bar #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Bought a couple of new tools today. A Toothbar and and homeowner Poulan pro 42cc with an 18 inch bar ... It did a great job and made short work cutting up a dead Oak tree that was threatening our house. I had it dropped last week it was only about 10 feet away from our back deck so it had to go..

Have not had a chance to use the Piranha Toothbar for digging but I have read a lot of great reviews about this bar.. It's sharp and solid should do a nice job of cutting our rocky clay soil. I plan to expand our upper parking area.

For the heck of it , I lifted half of this old tree to give the ol girl a workout.. I know this tree was easily 900 pounds if not more. Love my little tractor on steroids.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_9926.JPG
    IMG_9926.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_9932.JPG
    IMG_9932.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_9938-001.JPG
    IMG_9938-001.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_9992.JPG
    IMG_9992.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9953.JPG
    IMG_9953.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9974.JPG
    IMG_9974.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_9984.JPG
    IMG_9984.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9986.JPG
    IMG_9986.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9988.JPG
    IMG_9988.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9991.JPG
    IMG_9991.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 259
   / Bxpanded piranha tooth bar #2  
Nice pics

Love my piranha. I'm sure you will too.

/ Bxpanded piranha tooth bar
Nice looking bar. :thumbsup:

One good thing about having your log up in the air, makes it easy to buck up.

Yep my old Kubota BX wouldn't have been able to even budge this tree. I know because I tried to move one that was half that size... No go .. It was starting to do the pucker when I climbed off of the tractor but I have loaded tires in the back and they work pretty well.

/ Bxpanded piranha tooth bar #6  
Nice! :thumbsup:

Toothbar looks very aggressive and that it should work better than the factor teeth, too.

The saw.... I have the same one. I've had it for over 10 years. We've been heating with wood since 2008, so I've cut about 6 cords per year with it for 10 years... that's 60 cords, plus several trees for friends and family. I had an 18" saw from my dad, so the bar and chains worked on this one, too. And over the years, my neighbor also gave me an 18" saw with similar parts....

Anyhow, the saw is a little underpowered for a really hard wood like locust, but it is just fine for oak, maple, sassafras, cherry, etc... It's light, starts fairly easily, is dirt cheap, and if you break it, you can pick them up for $129 on sale. :thumbsup: I've never regretted owning that saw.

Only problem I've ever had with it are the fuel line went mushy where the line passes through the tank wall. It was littteraly twenty cents worth of fuel line to replace. And the coil ground bar cracked last year. That's a $35 part. I have about 6 chains, two bars, and a harbor freight $29 chain sharpener due to the locust. The chains dull out after 2 tanks of gas in that wood, and its faster to change the chain than sharpen it in the field, so I keep the 5 extra chains sharp in a baggie with some oil, and sharpen them when I get home after a day of cutting. Also have a few files for field touch up if I'm not cutting locust.

Sure, it's not a Stihl or Echo, etc... but for the price and frequency of use, it works great. I'd buy another one if it every wears out.

Nice! :thumbsup:

Toothbar looks very aggressive and that it should work better than the factor teeth, too.

The saw.... I have the same one. I've had it for over 10 years. We've been heating with wood since 2008, so I've cut about 6 cords per year with it for 10 years... that's 60 cords, plus several trees for friends and family. I had an 18" saw from my dad, so the bar and chains worked on this one, too. And over the years, my neighbor also gave me an 18" saw with similar parts....

Anyhow, the saw is a little underpowered for a really hard wood like locust, but it is just fine for oak, maple, sassafras, cherry, etc... It's light, starts fairly easily, is dirt cheap, and if you break it, you can pick them up for $129 on sale. :thumbsup: I've never regretted owning that saw.

Only problem I've ever had with it are the fuel line went mushy where the line passes through the tank wall. It was littteraly twenty cents worth of fuel line to replace. And the coil ground bar cracked last year. That's a $35 part. I have about 6 chains, two bars, and a harbor freight $29 chain sharpener due to the locust. The chains dull out after 2 tanks of gas in that wood, and its faster to change the chain than sharpen it in the field, so I keep the 5 extra chains sharp in a baggie with some oil, and sharpen them when I get home after a day of cutting. Also have a few files for field touch up if I'm not cutting locust.

Sure, it's not a Stihl or Echo, etc... but for the price and frequency of use, it works great. I'd buy another one if it every wears out.

Your right these saw's get no respect because of the cheaper price. I also have the 20 inch version slightly more powerful / 46 cc's. I've had for about 8 years. It's starting to get old so I bought this one as a backup. I also plan to buy a chain sharpener should have done it years ago..

For occasional use around here the 20 inch has performed flawlessly with the exception on fuel line you mention. I've had to replace it on the old on one time. No biggy.. So far the 20 inch has been very reliable and done everything I've asked of it.

I expect the new one to do the same. And it yes it was only $129.00 came with a case extra chain / gas mix just can't beat it for the price. I know this tooth bar will come in handy for a lot of things .. Especially with this crappy clay soil around our place.

/ Bxpanded piranha tooth bar #8  
I've always wondered about their 20". It's a different bar and chain style from the18", isn't it? If it was the same, I'd be tempted to put the 18" bar on the larger CC saw and imagine it would be about perfect. But, as we both agree, $129 is hard to beat for our uses. :laughing:

I've always wondered about their 20". It's a different bar and chain style from the18", isn't it? If it was the same, I'd be tempted to put the 18" bar on the larger CC saw and imagine it would be about perfect. But, as we both agree, $129 is hard to beat for our uses. :laughing:

I'd have to look but from first appearances where the bar attaches, it looks pretty much the same setup with the exception of the bar on the 20 being slightly wider and longer. Next time I'm out there take a closer look. We don't have any locust here but for Oak and what we do have it cuts through the wood like a hot knife through butter .. ;)