Can anyone identify this item?

/ Can anyone identify this item? #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
does any one have an idea what this thing was original?

It has set behind the door of the old farm shop for at least 60 years and most like a lot longer than that,
my dad used it for a make shift anvil for riveting and some other small things,
But I am sure that that was not it's original purpose.

Have always wondered what it may have been off of or used for originally.

/ Can anyone identify this item? #2  
1st off give some size of it. 1st thing that came to my mine is a cap.

/ Can anyone identify this item? #3  
We've got some unidentified objects lying around the farm too and I'm afraid everyone familiar with the old machinery they came from are no longer alive. I hope you get the right answer on yours.

/ Can anyone identify this item? #4  
Looks like about the size a 2x4 might fit inside. A tamper or crusher for something?

Bruce

/ Can anyone identify this item? #6  
Looks like about the size a 2x4 might fit inside. A tamper or crusher for something?

Bruce

What Bruce said. Used for tamping with a 2 x 4. More weight and area.

/ Can anyone identify this item? #7  
I'll suggest it was just what Dad used it for. Portable anvil that can eat placed on a number of different supports.

[video]http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/c9eae6c5ceed47b2a8e7e24955f54ba3/a-large-german-anvil-16th17th-century-a-large-iron-blacksmiths-anvil-brggpj.jpg[/video]m

image.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Can anyone identify this item?
What Bruce said. Used for tamping with a 2 x 4. More weight and area.

even a rough 2x4 fits loose in the pocket, and I would think there would have been a hole in the side of it to help retain it on the 2x4 when tamping, this was a thought I have had but I do not think so,

the portable anvil is a possibility but I would think it would have a pointy area and even a hole in it, for some hardies.

one person suggested a test Ingot, from a foundry (from another forum) but have never seen any thing like beside this one, but I would think its shape would not be what it is, I would think a test ingot would be a bar or disked shaped,

it is either cast steel or iron,

but thanks for your ideas and thoughts,

one thought I did have was part of counter weight system on a pump jack but again no retaining hole for a bolt,

/ Can anyone identify this item? #9  

Bruce

How would you keep the 2X4 in the hole when tamping?

Steve

Edit -- BHD beat me to it, but just barely.:)

/ Can anyone identify this item? #10  
just looking at it i would say it was for a forge to melt stuff down....:eek: lol