Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"?

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #11  
This was a topic of discussion soon after the 911 attacks, where we discussed amending the standards for cockpit doors. It was required that the doors be modified to be impenetrable by terrorists, but still accessible by rescue teams, should the pilots actually simply need to be rescued out of a cockpit after a crash. Make the door impenetrable, but not so much so that rescue crews can't get in - eventually. I recall that a minimum specified energy had to be expended (measured in Joules, if I recall) to get into the cockpit, and having expended that amount of energy, entry was somewhat assured. I don't think "firm whack" was a standard, but I recall a lot of discussion about swinging a fire axe!

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #12  
I’d say a firm wack would be about equal to a 16 oz hammer free falling a foot.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #13  
Light tap = drawing a 12 oz hammer to a 45° angle and allowing it to drop using its own weight
Firm Whack = drawing a 16 oz hammer a hair past vertical using forearm muscle and a flick of your wrist
Ass Whack = drawing a 2 lb hammer well past your ear, thrusting your pelvis, body weight, and hammer motion in consecutive and rapid motion to utterly flatten your opposing thumb.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #14  
That type of terminology might be variable as to the type of occupation you are in!

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #15  
4630abffa05723607b8573b8c3eda39d.gif

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #16  
A firm whack is the opposite direction of a firm yank. Calibrate it that way.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #17  
Totally false. Ever been whacked by a big guy? Much less preferable to being whacked by a small guy.
And we have not yet even touched on the "whacked with" part...

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #19  
As in "When my Ford F350 starter wouldn't work the tow truck guy told me to just give it a firm whack"
And how hard is a "light tap"?
A firm whack is using your favourite ball peen hammer and giving it a swing hard enough to bend a 3/8" bolt in a vise. A light tap is using any metal object and hitting with the heavy end if there is one.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #20  
To understand a "firm whack" you must first complete a full apprenticeship program, followed by several years of independent hands on work. You must be able to strike the faulty part, encouraging it to miraculously repair itself without damaging it.
Only then will you fully understand the art of the firm whack.

BTW on Fords, it's usually the Bendix, not the starter itself