Can I weld to a compressor tank

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #11  
You can safely add a hose reel like I did to my compressor. Just weld it on to the bracket that the compressor and motor are attached to or the handle bracket or strap it on,[/QUOTE]

Just wondering how the bracket is attached to the tank??:D:D

Might it be welded on? Then there are the nozzles. They may just be welded on to!:D

So what can and can't be welded to the tank?:D

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #12  
Usually, they are nailed on, but duct tape will work;).

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #13  
Welding to a pressure vessel doesn't require stress relieve or whatever else was said. Unless it is a certain type of metal and a certain thickness,this tank would be neither one.

Being a certified welder means next to nothing and has nothing to do with him welding on his own tank.

Unless you know your stuff, I wouldn't weld on it,but if you do,let the air out of course,and leave a hole/vent open. practice on something real thin and get your heat right. Ground it to the tank itself,don't put a great big weld on it,put no more thans needed to hold it good,if you need to put a bigger weld to hold whatever,weld a little and let it cool a little.

No need to pressure/hydro this,he is not recertifying it,yeah,it will void manfactors warrenty,but who cares,main thing is he don't burn a big hole and ruin it.

If you want to see if it leaks,make you up a bubble mix[dish liquid and water mixed up to a froth],pressure tank and take a little brush and put it on are,if theres a leak,you'll see it.

IF YOU WELD TO THE TANK and it let's go and you KILL somebody who is going to be responsible, should I just tell them green mule said its OK then you can pay the lawsuit or spend the jail time!

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #14  
You can safely add a hose reel like I did to my compressor. Just weld it on to the bracket that the compressor and motor are attached to or the handle bracket or strap it on,[/QUOTE]

Just wondering how the bracket is attached to the tank??:D:D

Might it be welded on? Then there are the nozzles. They may just be welded on to!:D

So what can and can't be welded to the tank?:D

It's all done in the factory and yes they are ALL welded on under ideal conditions and factory specs,then they are pressure tested to a higher pressure than you can achieve with the compressor.

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #15  
are nailed on,[/QUOTE]

Galvanized or spiral?:D:D

IF YOU WELD TO THE TANK and it let's go and you KILL somebody who is going to be responsible, should I just tell them green mule said its OK then you can pay the lawsuit or spend the jail time!

Could it be assumed that the original tank had the base and nozzles welded on? Could it also be assumed that a procedure was followed? Could it also be assumed if the proper procedure was followed by a competent welder additional welds could be made?:D

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #16  
Thanks for the input. I'll have to find another way. The tank is a 30 gallon cheapo Kobalt compressor (compressor on top) already mounted on wheels. I am very much a beginner welder. So, I won't risk it. Maybe I can attach it somehow to the pull handle and band the bottom to the tank.

There is a ring factory welded to the bottom where the wheels attach. Can I weld to that ring safely?

I'm a novice welder also. So, instead of possibly boogering up your tank and creating a safety hazard, use this opportunity to improve your welding skills by designing and welding up something like a small trailer to carry your hose wheel.

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #17  
are nailed on,[/QUOTE]

Galvanized or spiral?:D:D

Could it be assumed that the original tank had the base and nozzles welded on? Could it also be assumed that a procedure was followed? Could it also be assumed if the proper procedure was followed by a competent welder additional welds could be made?:D

Yeah I guess so as long as he has a 200 gal. hydro test tank in his back pocket.and a compressor that will put out 375 psi:D

BTW I made a tray bracket for all my connectors and used some beam clamps to hold it on the saddle no welding no drilling

Last edited:
   / Can I weld to a compressor tank #18  
Yeah I guess so as long as he has a 200 gal. hydro test tank in his back pocket.:D

Why would a 200 gal hydro test tank be required?:D What purpose would it serve?:D

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #19  
You need a water tank to put the tank your testing in .

/ Can I weld to a compressor tank #20  
ken,been around[done] a bunch of hydro testing on vessils,pipe,etc[never on a air compressor I will admit],but,never heard of putting the thing you are testing inside a tank full of water,we always filled the vessil WITH water and pressure it up,sometimes to thousands of psi,[water is much more safer if it lets go than a gas],now maybe you are talking about an air test? That might be how they do it at a air compressor factory? put the tank in another tank of water and look for bubbles? but that ain't a hydro test.,
if you want to do an air test alls you need is some soap bubbles,they call it snoop,but you can make your own.

And yes,thats the way you hydro test something to asme.I mean you could put it in a tank of water if you wanted to,but you don't need to,generally 1 1/2 times design pressure is what you test at,doubt if that tank has more than a 300 psi design pressure?

As to your question about should you tell them green mule said it was ok if it kills somebody,can if you want,but I ain't welding on his tank,so...

I wouldn't be worried about welding on an air compressor tank[if I had to],welded on much more dangerous stuff than a little ole cheap air compressor tank,but like I said,do not plan on welding on mine,he's talking about his,and if he wants to,its his,