Can't see when welding

/ Can't see when welding #61  
Back when I did production welding on automobile bodies we would change every morning before we started the day. We had good drag out ventilation, very little smoke. The man fans helped a lot also. At that time I, and a few others would burn up a 35 pound spool of wire in a day.

When I think of car body welding I think of car body tack welding, when I think of tack welding, I think 35 lbs. of wire in one day for tacking is a heck of a lot of wire for tacking= a lot of hand on gun trigger time with out a coffee break, which makes since if your in China........

/ Can't see when welding #62  
Picked up a set of 1.5X magnifiers for my helmet. Wow! What a difference. I can see the puddle again. Gee, my bead even improved, who'd a thought!

/ Can't see when welding #63  
I use 1.5 reader under my Lincoln VIKING™ 3350 Black Welding Helmet (VIKING? 3350 Black Welding Helmet

At 66 and I had a tear in my retina and a lazar repair. The lead to cataract repair from the lazar it can happen in some people.
Now the retina need a retina peel to smooth out the retina from the retina tear repair. Now after all that I can see just fine 99%. The 1% is glare from the implant.

So the morel to the story don't be cheap on you eye site. Buy the best welding helmet, sunglass, and safety shield you can.
I got lucky. You have only one set of eyes that we take for granted. Don't . When your site is gone it is gone.

/ Can't see when welding #64  
When I think of car body welding I think of car body tack welding, when I think of tack welding, I think 35 lbs. of wire in one day for tacking is a heck of a lot of wire for tacking= a lot of hand on gun trigger time with out a coffee break, which makes since if your in China........

You obviously were not in a Ford auto assembly plant in the 60's and 70's building the LTD's There were 8 of us in the weld booth. There are places where a spot gun can not get to. Like where the roof meets the quarter panel. Four or five one inch welds there. Those joint's were leaded after the weld booth. Where the roof meets the A pillar in front. Maybe one, one inch weld and a shorter one there. There were the roof bows that were put in after the roof was put on and spot welded where possible. The bows were welded to the upper body side. The floor pan tunnel where the drive shaft went through had about four welds per side. The floor pan was in two pieces or more from front to back. Behind the rear seats was a panel from the package tray to the floor pan that had three or four welds per side. From the floor pan to the rocker panels there were a lot of welds, both sides. On the lower cowl area there was a panel that was welded to the rocker panel. On the four door hardtop, the center post that the rear door was hinged to. There was a brace welded to the post and the floor pan. There was also some brazing done around the tail lights. There were other welds put in by others who's jobs I never did. Those body's came through the booth at around 50 per hour. Every weldor did not burn 35 pounds of wire s day, some a little less some a little more. Before my time in the weld booth those boys used 5/32 electrode's. I have no idea how they did that. I think wire machines came into the booth sometime in the early 60's to mid 60's I think.

when the body sides were assembled they started with the quarter panel on what was called a merry go round. there was a right and left saddle or fixture. That was placed in a fixture and located with locating pins and clamped down. When another a piece of sheet metal was added to a body it was clamped down. and maybe spot welded. A lot of times sheet metal lapped over so maybe two or three pieces was welded all at once. Pieces of sheet metal was added and welded until a complete left and right body side was made. No wire welding or tack welding These body sides were conveyed back to the floor pan area where thy were clamped to the floor pans and the upper back and the piece below the deck lid and the cowl was clamped on and spot welded together. The body's left the bucks and went down the main line where more spot welding took place then the roofs were put on and seam welded along the drip rail. More pieces were put on and spot welded. When that body reached the weld booth it was pretty much complete except doors and front fenders and hood. The weldors then welded what the spot guns could not get to or weld at all. After the weld booth there was no more welding done on a body unless it was a repair.

After the LTD's we built pick-up truck', first the F series then the Ranger. On the Ranger One man welded both sides. I think all of the welding was done where the roof met A pillar in front and at the rear were the roof met the body sheet metal.

Here are a couple of pictures of the last Rangers out of the Twin Cities Assembly Plant. The picture of the single Ranger is the last one built at Twin cities. The other two are just empty conveyor lines.

Attachments

• 100_0439 - Copy.JPG
    100_0439 - Copy.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_0448 - Copy.JPG
    100_0448 - Copy.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_0450 - Copy.JPG
    100_0450 - Copy.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_0451 - Copy.JPG
    100_0451 - Copy.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 140
   / Can't see when welding #65  
The new helmet I ordered will solve that problem. I ordered this one based on a recommendation from a poster above and over 600 good reviews.

Antra AH6-660-101S Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with AntFi X60-6 Wide Shade Range 4/5-9/9-13 with Grinding Feature Extra lens covers Good for Arc Tig Mig Plasma CSA/ANSI Certified By Colts Lab - - Amazon.com

Also ordered a cheater lens. I'm expecting great things !!!!
Anxious to hear how you like the new helmet.

/ Can't see when welding #66  
It looks like Lincoln helmet with the price tag.

/ Can't see when welding #67  
"You obviously were not in a Ford auto assembly plant in the 60's and 70's building the LTD's"
Your right, never welded in an auto plant, 35lb of wire in a day tells me you earn your pay for sure, I was going to ask how the guys before you tacked with 5/32 rod but you said not to.
The most I done in a day was 5 rolls of .045 wire, 10lb ea. I've eye ball measured several times that that one roll does about 80 ft. of 1/4" weld, and the constant cleaning of weld spatter is at times more work then welding.

I'm not a car builder, more of a ship builder, there miles and miles of welding in this ship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uODo63d3exk

/ Can't see when welding
got a 'sorry we missed you' card in the mailbox from USPS. They didn't miss me, they never came to the house. I get this crap all the time from them. They always make it look like it's my fault they didn't deliver stuff.

Amazon sent me an 'undelivered due to signature required' email.

Gotta go to the PO tomorrow to get it.

Doesn't make much difference, I guess, as I loaned my welder to my son and won't have it back for a week.

/ Can't see when welding
No, I do have a Lincoln AC tombstone. I might just have to try that.

Go America !!!!!