Car battery. I am confused

/ Car battery. I am confused #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
Short version. Ford Motorcraft battery BXT-96R-590 Series 081517. I assume thatbis the manf date
Completely dead. I put it on a 15 amp charger overnight. In the morning The charger indicated that it was charged. I disconnected and it read 12.7 v. I checked it again the next morning and it was 11.6 v. I put it on the charger again, charger stated it was at 31% and I left it overnight. In the morning it read 12.7. The next day it still reads 12.7

First, should I trust it? Second, why would this series of readings occur.

Long version/ background info
My daughter has a 2014 Ford Escape Platinum. In early summer 2022, Her battery died and she had to get a jump. I sent her some cash and told her to get it replaced. Auto parts store told her it was good. But she had to get it jumped again soon.

Just about that time, due to illness she stopped driving last summer. I jump started her car a bout 2 months ago and drove it 60 miles. When I turned it off it would not start. I pulled the battery- not easy as it requires some disassembly of air filter box and everything is hard to reach. Not sure I believe auto parts place actually tested her battery because of how hard it is to get to.

Should I just replace it to eliminate the battery from being cause of any issues? It is 5 years old.

/ Car battery. I am confused #2  
Sounds like a dead cell. I would replace it, especially at 5 years old.

/ Car battery. I am confused #6  
My truck is a 2017 and I replaced my battery 6 months ago. I’ve had them last longer but not this time.

/ Car battery. I am confused #7  
Short version. Ford Motorcraft battery BXT-96R-590 Series 081517. I assume thatbis the manf date
Completely dead. I put it on a 15 amp charger overnight. In the morning The charger indicated that it was charged. I disconnected and it read 12.7 v. I checked it again the next morning and it was 11.6 v. I put it on the charger again, charger stated it was at 31% and I left it overnight. In the morning it read 12.7. The next day it still reads 12.7

First, should I trust it? Second, why would this series of readings occur.

Long version/ background info
My daughter has a 2014 Ford Escape Platinum. In early summer 2022, Her battery died and she had to get a jump. I sent her some cash and told her to get it replaced. Auto parts store told her it was good. But she had to get it jumped again soon.

Just about that time, due to illness she stopped driving last summer. I jump started her car a bout 2 months ago and drove it 60 miles. When I turned it off it would not start. I pulled the battery- not easy as it requires some disassembly of air filter box and everything is hard to reach. Not sure I believe auto parts place actually tested her battery because of how hard it is to get to.

Should I just replace it to eliminate the battery from being cause of any issues? It is 5 years old.
Did you disconnect the battery from the car and it lost voltage overnight? Or did you charge it while it was still in the car?

That wasn't clear.

/ Car battery. I am confused #9  
Run the engine and check the voltage to make sure alternator is working properly. Five years? REPLACE. I don't run any of my vehicle batteries hardly over three. I buy three year replacement warranty batteries. After three years when I get another, I keep the previous battery, because it's still good. I turn in another for the core charge. No way I'd let a girl run around with an old battery.

/ Car battery. I am confused #10