Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #31  
Scardychicken.... If there are feral hogs in BC I would expect it to be the lowest of the lower mainland.. ?? Also, yes, my red neck, Cajun, swamp savage Gulf coast cousins say it is VERY good eating... But at times they are not very picky what they cook up.... Best not to question what is in the pot at times.. Maybe that is why they use so much hot sauce... eh...
You've brought up a very good question that had never occurred to me but now can't wait to find the truth. I really like the food cooked up by relatives near Huma LA. and like you I've learned not to ask what it is. I have been around domestic hogs since I was born and one thing everyone I know agrees on is boar meat is nearly uneatable. The odor while cooking is enough to make you sick and that applies to young ones not even of breeding age. I wounder if cajuns forgo cooking domestic boar or if they know how to deal with it. I had always left wild boars for coyotes and buzzards until my brother-in-law asked me to help him take the backstrap from one I trapped on his place. About 375 pounds with knockers big as my fists. He explained that Eurasians are different but I had my doubts until I ate some of it. If there isn't enough young gilt meat when i want meat I no longer hesitate dressing a boar. We take as many backstraps as practical and occasionally whole roast one like op caught. Looking at the two side beside one would think the Russian Boar would be the one that stank.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #32  
Wild hog is fine, just don't consider it "pork". The fat will have strong flavor like deer fat. If you clean it right and treat it more like venison than pork it works out fine. Just like wild turkey the flavor and texture depends a lot on what they have been eating at the time.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #33  
Wild hog is fine, just don't consider it "pork". The fat will have strong flavor like deer fat. If you clean it right and treat it more like venison than pork it works out fine. Just like wild turkey the flavor and texture depends a lot on what they have been eating at the time.
I agree that what animals eat is reflected in meat quality. I don't know what you are referring to when saying wild hog should be treated like venison rather than pork. I treat wild hog and venison different in two primary ways. #1 I strive to get both into refrigeration soon as possible but in 50f or less temperature I will alow venison to remain without refrigeration twice as long as hog before discarding. #2 Once in refrigeration I process hog asap and find hanging doesn't improve meat. I hang older deer 4 days, younger and/or fatter deer up to 7 days. I find that processing and freezing without hanging remarkably reduces meat quality.
How do you treat wild hog that is more akin to deer more than to pork?

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #34  
Thats amazing according to the map there is a patch in the UP of MI . They must be russian mixed with feral and piney woods rooters . But then again many a rattler has been seen on elk hunts at 9000'
elevation .

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #35  
I agree that what animals eat is reflected in meat quality. I don't know what you are referring to when saying wild hog should be treated like venison rather than pork. I treat wild hog and venison different in two primary ways. #1 I strive to get both into refrigeration soon as possible but in 50f or less temperature I will alow venison to remain without refrigeration twice as long as hog before discarding. #2 Once in refrigeration I process hog asap and find hanging doesn't improve meat. I hang older deer 4 days, younger and/or fatter deer up to 7 days. I find that processing and freezing without hanging remarkably reduces meat quality.
How do you treat wild hog that is more akin to deer more than to pork?
Cooking methods and cleaning. If you cook it like "pork" it does not turn out well most of the time. My wife can explain it better, I don't cook these days.
As for hanging deer, I would hang em longer but so often it's shorts weather during the season and getting them in the fridge is the only option. Well until I build a walk in.
Sorry for the confusion.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #36  
Those little cages dont work: Most hogs are too smart for it anyway, and if they werent, they are as soon as you catch the first ones.

Drop cages, that dont look like a confined space, work better

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #37  
bring your set up over here, saw the 2 sows yesterday outside my cabin

1659866966758.jpeg

1659867035833.jpeg

1659867212987.jpeg

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #38  
Last year, I made a trap for wild hogs( feral hogs) because they were damaging my orchard and gardens so badly.
This morning , I caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, a total of 8 hogs ever since.
And still so many hogs I can see in the video.
It is happening in northern California.
Unbelievable...

Time for a pig roast.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #39  
Wild hog is fine, just don't consider it "pork".

I agree that what animals eat is reflected in meat quality.
--- ---
Yes... Diet of the animal ....and time of year.... seems to make a big difference on how it taste..

We have that issue here with black bear depending if you get one in the spring or fall hunting season...
It would seem bear and wild hog have things in common when you go to cook them.. I usually use a liberal amount of my homemade Formula 2 dry rub.. I lost the recipe for Formula 1.... One of my favorite methods is to rub lean bear roasts with anything spicy you want.. cook low and slow to finished pork internal temp in the smoker.... Doesn't matter what type of wood pucks you use it seems..

Slice thin, cover with lots of BBQ sauce...

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #40  
Wild hog is fine, just don't consider it "pork".

I agree that what animals eat is reflected in meat quality.
--- ---
Yes... Diet of the animal ....and time of year.... seems to make a big difference on how it taste..

We have that issue here with black bear depending if you get one in the spring or fall hunting season...
It would seem bear and wild hog have things in common when you go to cook them.. I usually use a liberal amount of my homemade Formula 2 dry rub.. I lost the recipe for Formula 1.... One of my favorite methods is to rub lean bear roasts with anything spicy you want.. cook low and slow to finished pork internal temp in the smoker.... Doesn't matter what type of wood pucks you use it seems..

Slice thin, cover with lots of BBQ sauce...
Did you really mean bear ? Or boar ? 😬