Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #31  
Some guy lurking in the bushes and making a hasty retreat when spotted would certainly freak us out too. We have unposted acreage and over the years have spotted folks walking threw for hunting and have no problem with that...but imo to flee when spotted so close to the house means you're up to no good.

/ Caught an Intruder #32  
I agree with camera's, camera's, camera's. Also like others have said learn your state laws about personal protection. If you're not sure you could shoot someone or worse kill someone then dont get a gun.

Wedge

/ Caught an Intruder #34  
A friend of ours took his family out for breakfast and someone kicked in the front door and stole as much as they could get. they were only gone an hour.
When we replaced our doors we went with the strikemaster 2 system.
strikemaster 2 - Google Search
and longer stainless steel screws in the hinges.
I dont want to be sitting watching tv and have someone kick in my door.

/ Caught an Intruder #35  
If the guy was there after dark, that is a big concern. Most residential burglary's occur during daytime hours when they know no one is at home. For him to be there when he knew you were there most likely means he has ulterior motives. I'm not trying to scare you, but non burglary/theft motives are extremely dangerous. Deal with this quickly and thoroughly, get recording cameras up high and black out their "red light" if equipped. Put dummy cameras down where he can see them. Motion lights are always good. Arm yourself even in the house and make frequent unscheduled patrols of your property.

Go out during the day and take a real slow walk along his suspected path. Don't only look for foot prints, look at the vegetation, grass bent over or crushed, dislodged rocks....humans leave a trail. When and if you find his entry point smooth out some dirt so any future track will be left and easily seen. An camouflaged game camera watching this area would be a good idea. You will have to get creative to keep any camera hidden, but it can be done.

I know you want to chase him off and not have a confrontation. But....this type of guy will move on only to find another victim. At least if you can identify him in a photo, then LE has a chance to catch him.

/ Caught an Intruder #36  
sixdogs said:
Could the guy have just been a Peeping Tom? I don't mean "just" but that's less than a potential intruder.

+1 to this. If the guy was scoping the house, why would he approach with someone outside? Makes no sense. Might have just been curious and gotten caught being so. It happens. I had someone walk right across my property, straight line like, while I was entertaining one afternoon. Sometimes people have it in their heads if they aren't damaging/ stealing anything it isn't illegal. To an extent, they are correct. Almost nobody prosecutes for simple trespassing. The person may have simply been walking and stopped "for the show".

He could have been a mass murderer, but what is more likely, really?

Enjoy your day, lock your doors for a while, give it no more thought. After all, even if he was there to case your house, he'll case the next place instead, a place where they haven't seen him and suspect nothing. An alert owner is too risky for most crooks. There are plenty of easier targets to be had.

Sorry I didn't give you a reason to build an arsenal of weapons and bury land mines, with a perimeter of lethal attack dogs which haven't been fed in weeks, but I like to think most people aren't deserving of death for taking a walk, trespassing or not.

Live is too short to be paranoid.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet

/ Caught an Intruder #37  
Make friends with some hunters. I'm a mile off the road - too far the average lazy thief - and I have dogs and personal protection. But I also have several great hunters who are frequently on the land scouting, just enjoying a walk or hunting. Nothing repels the unwanted trespasser more than encounters with guys with guns who ask who you are etc.

/ Caught an Intruder #38  
Nighttime lighting is relatively good around my property right now, but the spot where my wife saw the guy happens to be one of the few dark areas remaining. It's something I plan to address very soon.

Was this during the day or night?

Later,
Dan

/ Caught an Intruder #39  
It is not paranoid to take reasonable precautions and be prepared in case of an intruder no matter how unlikely it may seem.

/ Caught an Intruder #40  
How far from your house was the guy on the "edge of the property"?