CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I know that chain drag harrows are used primarily for pasture maintenance, dethatching, and seedbed preparation. But I feel sure they can be used for so much more. Does anyone have any good recommendations, suggestions, or experience with uses for a drag harrow? Both normal boring traditional uses as well as totally unique uses are welcome! And, of course, photos are encouraged!! Looking for reasons to justify getting one!:D

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #2  
I hook my 6x8 to my excavator bucket and rotate the house around and around and back off large fields/areas that I have been digging in for a final grading. Erases all the tracks, smooths out the low/high spots and does an all around nice job.

The only down side, I get dizzy as all get out. I'm not good on carnival rides either. (Insert barfing smiley here).

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES
atgreene said:
I hook my 6x8 to my excavator bucket and rotate the house around and around and back off large fields/areas that I have been digging in for a final grading. Erases all the tracks, smooths out the low/high spots and does an all around nice job.

The only down side, I get dizzy as all get out. I'm not good on carnival rides either. (Insert barfing smiley here).

Too bad you don't have a picture!
Also too bad we don't have a barfing smiley on THIS forum!;)

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #4  
Horse (and cattle) owners report they're good for breaking up and dispersing clods of manure in the pasture. And dressing horse rings. One fella used one to dress ATV trails through the woods.

I once let one of my pastures go too long between mowings, and ended up with a bumper crop of brome sage seed heads. After finally getting them mowed, I used the chain harrow to rake the seed heads into a long row for a controlled burn. (I didn't own a landscape rake at the time). Of course, it helps that I can lift mine with the three point hitch. Otherwise it's a bit difficult to windrow with a chain harrow.

When I finally bought a landscape rake, I found it better suited for seedbed prep. Once the seed/fertilizer is spread, I then follow with the chain harrow to cover it. Once the seed germinates, you could fool people into believing it was done with a no-till drill.

//greg//

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #5  
Here's one...just used mine to finish out a small baseball infield area. Bunch of family coming for the 4th and we needed an infield for the kids games. Did a great job of smoothing it out.

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #6  
Glowplug said:
I know that chain drag harrows are used primarily for pasture maintenance, dethatching, and seedbed preparation. But I feel sure they can be used for so much more. Does anyone have any good recommendations, suggestions, or experience with uses for a drag harrow? Both normal boring traditional uses as well as totally unique uses are welcome! And, of course, photos are encouraged!! Looking for reasons to justify getting one!:D

Are you sure that a chain harrow is what you think that you want? Or do you want a fixed bar harrow like this?

Attachments

• PC220019.JPG
    PC220019.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,367
  • PC220020.JPG
    PC220020.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,035
  • PC220022.JPG
    PC220022.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,367
   / CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #8  
My chain drag has a three point attachment set up. It's a very useful attachment. I use it for pasture maintenance, breaking up the horse manure, leveling field, and groom gravel. It does a wonderful job with gravel.

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #9  
Brian,
Nice setup. How big is that harrow? What brand is it?

/ CHAIN DRAG HARROW USES #10  
greg_g said:
** Of course, it helps that I can lift mine with the three point hitch. Otherwise it's a bit difficult to windrow with a chain harrow.

//greg//
Wouldn't want to use one I couldn't lift.Er make that one the tractor couldn't lift.