Chain/Drag Harrow

/ Chain/Drag Harrow #21  
Thanks Guys - I'll take a look. Now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense to connect it that way.

/ Chain/Drag Harrow #22  
We have 2 sets of 5' wide x 6'6" long drag like in post #1...

I pull them side by side with a 5' wide spreader bar.. For us, this works well to pull over a little used pasture to break down un useful weeds and brush growth..

Pulling it over the pasture several times a year for weed control, and to break up and scatter rabbit and chicken house cleanings in thin spots to promote more grass growth.. All this helps feed good grass which springs back easily after the other materials are broken down by the drag..

/ Chain/Drag Harrow #24  
Always heard drag harrows was poor mans fertilizer spreader
Depends on your individual situation... if you're 'storing' manure from a barn/stock-shed, then a manure spreader makes sense to get the stored manure out to the fields/paddocks.

A chain harrow is for breaking-up and spreading the manure that is already on the field/paddock. It can, of course, be used to smooth arena sand.

The logic of your statement is like saying that a shovel is a poor mans backhoe. :)

/ Chain/Drag Harrow #25  
Post #13 here Amazing Find.............a Drag Harrow shows me using my drag harrow on the loader bucket offset on the left hook. I just back up with it. I don't lift it off the ground unless I am on level ground. I can stop and swing it and lower it into a corner and back out, if I want to drag a corner. It can be pulled 4 ways. The spreader bar unhooks and goes on either end. I use it mainly to plant bermuda grass seed.
hugs, Brandi

/ Chain/Drag Harrow #26  
^^^ Yep, and that's another advantage of a chain harrow = multiple uses/applications.

I really like an implement that has more than one use.

/ Chain/Drag Harrow #27  
I just completely redid 1/2 acre front lawn. Roundup, box blade, 1600lbs limestone, 200lbs fertilizer, tiller, 100lbs of seed and then used a drag harrow to turn the soil just enough to cover the seed. Worked out great. It's almost 3 weeks now and I have an awesome vivid green lawn instead of weeds.