Chain for my FEL bucket?

/ Chain for my FEL bucket?
TSC & Lowes are about an hour drive from here :(
But I'll be taking a trip soon!!

Thanks Guys

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #12  
I bought straps with hooks on the end at TSC. All I use them for is moving my implements around and I like the fact that it doesn't scratch them up. They were cheap and rated at something like 5000 pounds each (maybe more) and since my heaviest implement is about 800 pounds I think I'm pretty safe.

Not intended to start a chain vs strap free-for-all, I usually use and prefer chains, but for this job the straps work perfectly.

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #13  
Here's the picture that I like to show off that contains the chain that I use. :) The chain is very, very overkill. It's what my dad used years back when he had a service station that had some tow trucks, before rollbacks became so popular.

Attachments

• BigStump.jpg
    BigStump.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 328
   / Chain for my FEL bucket? #14  
botayota said:
TSC & Lowes are about an hour drive from here :(
But I'll be taking a trip soon!!

With fuel prices, you might be better off paying the shipping and ordering something online. :(

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #16  
rdsaustintx said:
Is it me or is that stump wrapped with poison ivy??

Well, I hope it's the stump and not you that's wrapped in poison ivy. :D I see some leaves at the bottom left that are leaves from the tree (tulip poplar), but elsewhere, I guess those leaves could be poison ivy. All I know is that poison ivy has three leaves. I can't really identify it otherwise, because I'm lucky enough to not be allergic to it. My wife ID's poison ivy around our property, and I just grab it and rip it out and wash my hands later.
</div>

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #17  
Nice thing about the G70 5/16's chain is its 'double duty' as binder material on your trailer. It is VERY tough stuff. I've only seen it break once...very abnormal use (the story involves an F550 diesel stickshift in 4WD Low and Granny Gear getting an 8 foot running start at full tilt trying to pull a 30' roll-off dumpster full of the demolished remains of the rear half of my friend's house...yada, yada, yada...and the chain finally broke. Dumpster moved maybe 1/2" after repeated attempts.)

I like the 5/16" because it is a "useable" diameter. Not like you're lugging around this 3/4" stuff that would haul up the anchor for the Queen Elizabeth. But the G70 has more capacity than your tractor (most tractors) could ever deliver.

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #18  
RayCo said:
Here's the picture that I like to show off that contains the chain that I use. :) The chain is very, very overkill. It's what my dad used years back when he had a service station that had some tow trucks, before rollbacks became so popular.
I tried the stumps I had and they laughed at my BX.

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #19  
KeithInSpace said:
Nice thing about the G70 5/16's chain is its 'double duty' as binder material on your trailer. It is VERY tough stuff. I've only seen it break once...very abnormal use (the story involves an F550 diesel stickshift in 4WD Low and Granny Gear getting an 8 foot running start at full tilt trying to pull a 30' roll-off dumpster full of the demolished remains of the rear half of my friend's house...yada, yada, yada...and the chain finally broke. Dumpster moved maybe 1/2" after repeated attempts.)

I like the 5/16" because it is a "usable" diameter. Not like you're lugging around this 3/4" stuff that would haul up the anchor for the Queen Elizabeth. But the G70 has more capacity than your tractor (most tractors) could ever deliver.

I agree, G70 5/16th's chain is just about the perfect size/weight and has the strength for all of my needs without breaking the bank...

/ Chain for my FEL bucket? #20  
Grade 7 chain does not stretch it breaks, grade 8 and 10 are lift grade chain, stronger for sure. Grade 10 3/8" chain will take 8800lbs with a 4:1 safety factor.

KC