Chain Guards for Flail Mower?

/ Chain Guards for Flail Mower? #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
I have a Peruzzo flail mower, as I've mentioned here before, which works well except for one thing. I only mow twice a year, and by fall the growth has typically reached about two feet tall. The mower cuts the grass well enough, but some of the weeds have gotten pretty stiff by then. The belting front guard Peruzzo supplies pushes them down nearly flat, and many don't pop up enough for the mower to cut them. The result is a really poor job.

I've found that taking the front guard off lets the weeds stand up enough that most are cut. But taking off the guard of course lets some debris fly out the front which isn't great. I'm thinking a chain guard would solve the problem. The stiff weeds should slide between the chains and stay up enough to be cut, while the flying debris will largely be caught by the chains.

I've contacted Peruzzo but they do not make a chain guard.

I've searched for third party suppliers, and have found Marsh Bros. Tractor company in Dundas, Ontario, offers them in various sizes. Has anyone found another supplier? Has anyone done business with Marsh Bros.?

Any other ideas?

/ Chain Guards for Flail Mower? #2  
How's your welding?...
Just finished these. Hoping to get the whole machine finished in a couple weeks.

20220520_084513 (Medium).jpg

/ Chain Guards for Flail Mower?
   / Chain Guards for Flail Mower? #4  
Not that good, I'm afraid. It's been 60 years since I've done any, and as long since I've had a welder.
Dont *need* to weld. Cut metal tube (conduit?) spacers for the chain if really needed. Even UV rated conduit (grey) would work.

Just finished these.
OK, Midniteoyl's got me thinking. Could you explain what you did?
What's the size of the chain?
Where did you get the yellow blocks that hold the rod? That's a neat way to hang it.
Did you use a rod with spacers between the links?

/ Chain Guards for Flail Mower? #6  
OK... The yellow blocks are just 3/4" steel stock cut something like 1" x 2". Hole in the face for the hanging rod (7/16" in this case), and then two holes for 1/4" bolts the other way. Cut the blocks in half, and you've got mounts. They're only yellow, because I happened to be painting something else that day. I used whatever rod I could find enough of in the scrap pile. Cotter pins and washers on the ends. It's 1/4" chain, of whatever happened to be around. Then there's little pieces of pipe between each chain section to hold the spacing.

The piece it's all built on is some 6" channel I had hanging around, and I tapered the ends in simply because the OEM unit for that mower was shaped that way, and I wanted to play with my plasma cutter.

Figuring out the safe chain length to stay out of the blade, and then cutting all that was the hardest part. Otherwise it was a pretty simple, if a little tedious project. On a flail it should be pretty straightforward since you can use a straight mount.

Thanks, toolslinger. Yes, making it for a flail is simpler. The clearance to the blades is considerably more than the length needed for the chains.

I could mount them directly to the face of the mower and avoid having a separate mounting plate. I'd prefer that to avoid adding more weight than necessary, as this is a ditch and bank mower that can be extended to the side which is a load when mowing side hills.

I was puzzling your description of your mounts - why cut them in half? Then I figured that that lets them tighten on the rod to make it more secure than just the cotter pins holding it.

/ Chain Guards for Flail Mower? #8  
Yep, the rod is clamped tight. The rod I had was extremely rusty as well, so it also meant I didn't have to try to slide it through a tight clearance hole.

Thanks, toolslinger. I think this is the direction I'll be going. Since I don't have either the materials laying around or much in the way of metalworking tools, I'm thinking I'll offer this opportunity to our local welding shop to make up the mounts, and maybe to cut the spacers.

FYI, to anyone in the US considering using the one offered by Marsh Bros. Tractor company in Dundas, Ontario, the answer to all questions about the product is "The freight and customs will make it expensive." So I have no idea how well their product might work for me.

/ Chain Guards for Flail Mower? #10  
Another option to throw in the basket is found on the NH 918H flail. Swinging metal panels line the opening and basically only swing backwards. Hung from a !/2" metal rod and secured through the end panels with a couple of center supports. The panels have 1/2" metal pipe welded as the pivot point. This could be substituted with 1/2" U bolts.

100_0617.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0618.JPG
    100_0618.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 100_0619.JPG
    100_0619.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85