chain performace

/ chain performace #2  
I've alway used the Oregon brand. Chisel tooth or round tooth - properly sharpened they will do a fine job. My only trees here - Ponderosa pine. Here is a chunk of one that I left to rot. It's 38" on the base. View attachment 677517

/ chain performace #3  
Thanks for pointing out that video. That guy was really good at doing an impartial test!

/ chain performace #4  
Good test. I usually buy Stihl but I noticed it did poorly after it ran through the sand. I may try Oregon next time.

/ chain performace #5  
I have watched many of his videos, and much appreciate the, quick pace and to the point videos. I am often left wondering, which product to buy in the end, with so many variables and wonder if there is any reasonable hope that any product you buy twice will be the same. I am always amazed (just to confuse the issue) that wheras a brand may be generally a good value, some of their offerings are not.

I will have to watch this. Curious too if one size is representitive of the other sizes and pitch for that brand.

/ chain performace #6  
This was mentioned in another thread, and I will say the same thing here which I said there.
I try not to cut in the dirt, but when it happens I expect to sharpen again.

I really hate it though when trying to get just a bit more done before nightfall, and start seeing sparks flying off the end of the bar.

/ chain performace #7  
Ha - Jstpssng - "start seeing sparks flying off the end of the bar". Back when we burned wood - it was a necessity to "debark" the fallen pines before cutting to length. Hard to believe, but there is still a whole lot of 1980, Mt St Helens volcanic ash tied up in the bark of all my pine trees.

At first - I just couldn't figure it out. The chains were getting so dull - so fast. Then one evening - cutting to length. It was like I was holding the butt end of a kid's giant 4-of-July sparkler. That's when we started taking the time to debark prior to any further cutting.

/ chain performace #8  
Watched this one the other day when it came up my youtube feed. He does some great comparison videos, but there is just something about his voice & way of talking that drives me almost insane. To much.... I don't know....'AND JUST WAIT, THERE'S MORE IF YOU CALL NOW' feeling/vibe. Would like to have seen him use some Tri-Link branded ones. That's what my local Rural King and other farm store stocks for the most part. Those chains last a while, but they stretch super fast and way more than Husky/Stihl branded ones.

It was pretty amazing to see just how much slower the chain is once you get into the dirt with it.

/ chain performace #9  
^^^^
I had a little Stihl 170 for a short while until I blew the engine up. I was using it to do a precommercial thinning and was constantly losing that tiny chain. I bought a "prestretched" Stihl chain and immediately stopped throwing them.

/ chain performace #10  
A local forestry company runs Husqvarna saws with Stihl chains. After speaking with the owner for a little while, I concluded they had done a fair amount of testing. Maybe not as much as the gent in the video though.

Thanks for the link!