chain performace

/ chain performace #21  
Any forestry supplier like Baileys will carry it. But I'm surprised that it's not available locally as it's pretty common.

/ chain performace #22  
Any forestry supplier like Baileys will carry it. But I'm surprised that it's not available locally as it's pretty common.
I'm sure it is available somewhere in the St Louis area, it's just knowing where to shop for it.

/ chain performace #23  
Depending on the customer base that the dealer has they may or may not stock full chisel, or may not sell it to a consumer grade customer.. No professional customers they most likely will only stock semi-chisel or be sold semi-chisel. It is an ansi code safety thing. Me in my case, other than the 3/8 lp I don't stock semi-chisel and only stock full chisel in the .325 and full skip, full chisel in the large 3/8 in .050 and .063 gauge chains, and .063 in .404

/ chain performace #24  
I could see only stocking anti kickback "safety" chain if you don't have pro customers, or only selling safety chain to non professional customers. When I go to my local dealer and ask for a chain without specifying, they will give me safety chain. But as far as I know chisel/semi chisel does not affect safely, only cutting speed and how long the chain stays sharp.

/ chain performace #25  
I could see only stocking anti kickback "safety" chain if you don't have pro customers, or only selling safety chain to non professional customers. When I go to my local dealer and ask for a chain without specifying, they will give me safety chain. But as far as I know chisel/semi chisel does not affect safely, only cutting speed and how long the chain stays sharp.
I don't think I have ever seen safety ansi standard chain in full chisel. Closest might by the Oregon Vanguard chain with the wide curved depth gauges.

Edited to make a technical correction

Last edited:
   / chain performace #26  
All the safety chain I have is full chisel: Stihl 63PS3 (3/8 LP) and RS3 (3/8). That's what came on a couple saws (plus I bought more, especially the 63PS3 which is really good). Maybe it's a regional thing?

/ chain performace #27  
I'm sure it is available somewhere in the St Louis area, it's just knowing where to shop for it.
Like RandyT said everything is semi chisel safety chain.
Randy would you give the the name of your local dealer?
If necessary Effingham isn't THAT far away.

/ chain performace #28  
I go by Illinois Engine. About 80 miles east of St. Louis.

/ chain performace #29  

Look up Oregon 73 and 75V they are a low kickback full chisel chain, not that many years ago I could get square chisel in safety chain.

Oregon 73/75V are the same as Vanguard.

/ chain performace #30  
Look up Oregon 73 and 75V they are a low kickback full chisel chain, not that many years ago I could get square chisel in safety chain.

Oregon 73/75V are the same as Vanguard.
Sold a couple new Dolmars a few years back that came from the factory with that chain. That is the only full chisel safety chain that I have seen. Stihl, Husky could have their own version I don't know.