Chain Storage Ideas Wanted

/ Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #41  
Quit worrying about drilling or not. Just clamp it to the ROP with a square-end u-bolt from the hardware store or a couple of bolts with a steel strap between the ends.

Bruce

Square U-bolts are great! Look how many I'm using to attach my canopy & polesaw-holding 4x4 to my ROPS:

attachment.php

Attachments

• square u-bolts.JPG
    square u-bolts.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 5,658
   / Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #42  
Im no engineer, just repeating what i heard. Also if yours fails or something you will never sue if your hurt wont hold up in court. NO i dont worry about the sky falling.

Whoa down I wasn't talking about you or anyone here I didn't even read your post until now clemson geez awful touchy today. :laughing:

And if I ever flip it over it will be because I did something I shouldn't have been doing thats my fault not the rop 4 bolts wont cause a failure I am 99% sure.

/ Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #43  
Whoa down I wasn't talking about you or anyone here I didn't even read your post until now clemson geez awful touchy today. :laughing:

And if I ever flip it over it will be because I did something I shouldn't have been doing thats my fault not the rop 4 bolts wont cause a failure I am 99% sure.

Didnt really take it like you were jumpin on me. I was just pointing out for those who worry about such things. If i had thought to weld mine first i prolly would have, but the fact that metal is so high and i really dont have any laying around i never thought to weld it. The U-bolts were my first thought and with all the vibrations there one of the few things that hasent vibrated loose on there.

/ Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #44  
Here is how I attached mine if it helps and I see I used 2" angle for all of it.

For me it would have taken a trip to town for u-bolts which I would have to close shop to do so and a different design all together plus they cost a lot more money than bolts which I have on hand so thats how I decide how to do things right or wrong.

I know without a shadow of doubt my design will be right there 50 years from now and just as strong as it is today with only 2 bolts holding it on fwtw. There is a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to fit in the bottom so the box has added rigidity and it will save the box from wear and a couple drain holes also which cant be seen.

Attachments

• Yanmar tool box 032 (1024x768).jpg
    Yanmar tool box 032 (1024x768).jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 533
  • Yanmar tool box 035 (1024x768).jpg
    Yanmar tool box 035 (1024x768).jpg
    459 KB · Views: 571
   / Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #45  
Did either of you Clemsonfor or Car Doc have any issue with the top link coming in contact with the tool boxes at high lift? I tried to locate a toolbox at this location first but realize it protrude too far out, and the link would hit it when lifting all the way up, I could have simply not lift it all the way, but would have always need to be alert about it, I guess the location of a factory ROPS might give enough room for the box, the Location of my ROPS did not, or could be that I have the seat all the way back,

/ Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #46  
Mine did at first so I raised it and so far its been ok. The holes I have the tarp strap in are the old holes I mounted it the first time fwtw.

/ Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #47  
Here is what I had to do to mine to clear the top link. It can definitely be a problem.

Attachments

• 100_3546.jpg
    100_3546.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 472
   / Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #48  
Love it!:D

I'm wondering what size space the OP tractor would have between the rear tire and under fender? a pc of PVC pipe has been mention, just wondering could a section of 2 1/2 pipe be used under the fender to hold the chain,on the of course caping off one end and having a thread cap on the other, on this end one could cut a slit down below the thread so could slip on link of chain in to prevent the end of the chain from falling beyond reach, this PVC pipe could be held in place with muffler pipe U-clamps, through the inner fender skirt,
I say this because I think my 1700 would have room with the existing tires i have and by them being reversed;)

Last edited:
   / Chain Storage Ideas Wanted #49  
Did either of you Clemsonfor or Car Doc have any issue with the top link coming in contact with the tool boxes at high lift? I tried to locate a toolbox at this location first but realize it protrude too far out, and the link would hit it when lifting all the way up, I could have simply not lift it all the way, but would have always need to be alert about it, I guess the location of a factory ROPS might give enough room for the box, the Location of my ROPS did not, or could be that I have the seat all the way back,

Naah, my toplink comes nowhere close. I have a different ROPS style than Doc. Mine is a closed loop that mounts around the PTO housing. C Docs is the type that goes to each axle i beleive?

/ Chain Storage Ideas Wanted
THANKS for everyones ideas...The were all very good.

I decided that I was WAY over thinking. This is what I ended up doing - I installed one small tool box on the fender and it over hangs - I have just some wrenchs, hammer etc...and it caught the quick hitch but I tightened up the lift arm chains and its seems to have stopped... the other one is mounted between the rear upright on the ROPS. You can notice that the husky tool box lost a battle with the 3 point hitch....a little adjusting upwards and banging out the crushed bottom and sides and it works for storing my chain. I think this box will also hold a car battery that will run the winch I have to get me unstuck from time to time.
100_3991.jpg

100_3994.jpg

100_3992.jpg

100_3993.jpg