Chains instead of a top link for bush hog?

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #101  
On my first tractor and cutter, I often used a chain for the top link for the 9 years I had that tractor/cutter combo. See no problem with it. Just keep the chain short enough so it WILL lift the cutter but long enough to allow as much up/down as you want.

Ralph

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #102  
Three advantages for a chain top link. First you can back up to a ditch or steep slope and the mower will drop into the low spot. Same with a pond levee or other pile of dirt. Second advantage is that the mower will tend to follow dips and rises in the terrain. Third advantage, and this is the embarrassing one, you won't get stuck on a two wheel drive tractor with the front wheels on one side of a ditch, bushhog on the other side, and drive wheels spinning over the ditch. That has happened to me twice. Well maybe three times that I can remember.

Anyway.

RSKY

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #103  
Re: Chains instead of a top link for

I suspect that Farmswithjunk might have more mowing time (although rumor has it that as one of those highfalutin money grubbing business owners, he doesn't get much seat time anymore :D :p :D)

Aaron Z

Iam 62 been bush hogging since I was 15 I like chain for top link for backing into steep banks because it痴 better for bush hog and tractor

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #104  
Few years back I tried a flail mower for cutting yard. Had area where the road bed had rather steep side to it and backed the cutter up backwards to mow it. Had my third arm disconnected as recommended by a friend so it would follow the grade better up the slope. It followed it very well, but also push back hard enough against the pto shaft it damaged the shifting linkage for believe it or not the mid pto, not the rear one. Made shifting the mid pto next to impossible. Not much of an issue as did not and still don't use the mid pto.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #105  
I sometimes used a chain instead of the top link on the LX4 when I had the JD 4010. There are many places on the property where it comes in handy, as it provides more length than the moving top link's approximately 3 to 4 inches of movement on the LX4 (and now on the Frontier, the same). Just connect the chain where the top link goes, making it long enough to allow the tail wheel to still be on the ground when lifting the front. The main disadvantage to the chain is you cannot lift the rear of the cutter to lower it onto some things that it won't cut by backing into it.

Ralph

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #106  
How do we feel about using a chain with a tiller or landscape rake for the purpose of following uneven ground?

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #107  
I sometimes used a chain instead of the top link on the LX4 when I had the JD 4010. There are many places on the property where it comes in handy, as it provides more length than the moving top link's approximately 3 to 4 inches of movement on the LX4 (and now on the Frontier, the same). Just connect the chain where the top link goes, making it long enough to allow the tail wheel to still be on the ground when lifting the front. The main disadvantage to the chain is you cannot lift the rear of the cutter to lower it onto some things that it won't cut by backing into it.

Ralph

I don't think you have ever used a chain top link or used it correctly if you can't lift it over stuff like you would with a top link bar then you're doing it wrong. You don't leave a ton of slack in the chain. You use a length of chain that would keep the mower level at the height of cut. Then when you lift it it acts the same as it would with the top link arm. The only advantage is if you have hills or slopes that you would rather back the mower up vs driving up or down it. The chain allows the implement to pivot at the 3 point connection instead of lifting the entire implement.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #108  
How do we feel about using a chain with a tiller or landscape rake for the purpose of following uneven ground?

I use a chain a lot with my rake, but a tiller wouldn’t work well.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #109  
Mine came up with a chain... but I bought it used IMG_20160607_204609377.jpg

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #110  
I use a chain a lot with my rake, but a tiller wouldn’t work well.

Why not?

I've been having a problem with the tiller digging in deeper as I exit a tilled area onto turf while trying to get that last few feet. Front wheels raise up forcing the tiller down. I'm hoping a chain would help alleviate that.