Chains instead of a top link for bush hog?

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #91  
...................For the record, when using NO top link OR when using a chain as a top link, I've NEVER seen the mower "kick up" when the leading edge hit an obstacle. That "theory" is just that....a theory.....One that just doesn't seem to exist in real world FACT. .............................

For the record:

I have had my JD 413 brush hog "back flip" when it hit a small hidden stump. The top link did it's job and stopped it, but it was surprising and not pretty.

No telling how far forward it would have gone?

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #92  
Acknowledging this horse might have been mostly dead 8 years ago when the thread was started, this kind of topic is sort of universal and may well trigger comments for a long time.
As far as a rotary cutter doing a back flip I do not think there is realistic danger of any of them going "too far." Over the last 30+ years I have operated a cheap King Kutter, a Landpride finish mower, etc. I currently use at various locations a JD413, Bush Hog 5ft, and a Bush hog 7ft 297. Some with stock metal strap style top linkages and some with a chain. At no time have I ever had one of them kick up significantly or do any "back flip" when hitting an obstruction or otherwise. In my opinion that is far-fetched and at most an obscure, unlikely possibility. As I stated in one of the earlier posts in this marathon, I have definitely bent beyond a usable state (and broken) the original steel lifting straps that come on Bush Hogs. In part from that experience I prefer chain for the top linkage. More decisive than that are the many old codgers, even older than I with rough, heavily used equipment who use chain. In other words the old timers seem to eventually migrate to chain.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #94  
Hey! This thread may be old but it just solved a mystery for me. My old tractor had a funny fixture just above the holes for the top link pin. Ahah! It was a chain grab to drop this top chain into!

Really useful to know, after owning it 25 years and trading it in less than a month ago....

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #95  
Hey! This thread may be old but it just solved a mystery for me. My old tractor had a funny fixture just above the holes for the top link pin. Ahah! It was a chain grab to drop this top chain into!

Really useful to know, after owning it 25 years and trading it in less than a month ago....

Hmmm,, typically, a dedicated chain connection point near the top link connection spot is for the height control chains for a finish mower,,,

RFM's used to come with only two wheels on the rear,, then chains were used to gauge the front,,
It is a good system, especially on rough terrain,,

650-1_zpsuf37o6g1.jpg

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #97  
In my book, using a chain is little more than an accident waiting to happen. Most folks who consider it a solution either don't have - or aren't familiar with the operation of - a flexible toplink bracket.

Do you connect your tractors toplink directly to the pair of holes on the top of the bush hog A-frame? or to a moveable bracket that is pinned (or bolted) to those holes?

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, look at the U-shaped bracket that's attached to the top of the A-frame on this rotary cutter. If you don't have one of those, you need to get one. If you do, let me know and we'll go through how it works.

//greg//
3327075_1.jpg

I disagree with you totally but then I noticed this post of yours was 8 years ago. I'll give benefit of the doubt that your views have changed by now. Sorry for my knee jerk reaction.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #98  
JWR,, the pics do not work,,, :eek:

I'm working on it. They worked fine initially and something went berserk after I had to re-start the post. The Saved Restore feature failed in some rare manner.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #99  
I agree with you CADplans regarding the purpose of the chain grab palce on the back of the other guy's Kubota;

I do not think that Smallchange's chain grab on the Kubota was for a rear cutter top link. It might work in that role, but your "height control chains for the front of a finish mower" description is more likely. I try to keep the front part of the Hog support structure and remove the rigid or strap-like lift members behind that (as do many others I have seen.)

Mine looks like this

View attachment 606255

View attachment 606256

Notice the actual top link happens to be an hydraulic one and it stays in place. The chain is replacing the "straps" that used to go from there on back to the rear of the hog. In the picture below you can see the two steel straps around 1 1/2" wide and five or six feet long going from the front structure to the back top of the hog. Those straps are what I replaced with chain (after one broke due to fatigue flexing.) A Bush Hog mistake was to put about a 3/8" hole in each of those two straps. One of them holds the manual booklet canister. The other is unused. The point is of course the weak point in the straps where eventually they flex and break.

View attachment 606254

Many of the old timers do attach chain right to the tractor top link attach point and get rid of the the original top link entirely. Works well for many people. I like my configuration better because I retain top link adjustment flexibility for lift height without undoing the chain. There are many variations but the point is to facilitate reliable hydraulic lift of the hog while avoiding stiff restrictions to the upward movement of the deck. The classic case is going down through a sharply deep gully where the hog is denied ability to conform to the land and something is going to give/bend/break.

/ Chains instead of a top link for bush hog? #100  
Originally Posted by CADplans --
"JWR,, the pics do not work,,,"

I'm working on it. They worked fine initially and something went berserk after I had to re-start the post. The Saved Restore feature failed in some rare manner.

Take a look at post #99. It seems OK now with the pictures. If it won't come up for you I'll do it over tomorrow.