Chainsaw bar question

/ Chainsaw bar question #1  

MMagis

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, JD 2550
This week I bought a new bar and two new chains for my chainsaw (Stihl MS260) The current bar/chain size is 16? .325, .063, 62 teeth. I thought that it was a 67 tooth chain, and ordered that. When I got it I realized my mistake, but decided I would prefer to switch to the 67 tooth size (it makes no sense how two chains of entirely different lengths can both be called 16" but that's another discussion). I tried to out the new chain/bar on and found it simply won't work. The bar will fit, but it't not possible to tighten the chain enough to make it work. This bar is supposed to work with my chainsaw, but unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't. If the post on the tensioner was in a different location, it would work. It would also work if I drilled a new hole in the bar, but I'd prefer not to do that. Anyone know, or have an idea, as to why I can't get this to work?

/ Chainsaw bar question #2  
Sounds like the wrong chain -- if it's 0.325 pitch, then you do need to have the proper number of cutters to work within the range of the saw's tensioner system. With 67, you have 5 more cutters and rakers @ 0.325" each, so that's going to be a noticeably longer chain than a 62.

/ Chainsaw bar question
So, is there another tensioner I need to get? When I look at tensioners, I see no reference to anything other than what saw it fits.
Everything I find says this saw will work with a 67 tooth chain, but I'm starting to wonder.

/ Chainsaw bar question #4  
You don't count the teeth, you count the drive links (tangs)
Count the tangs on each chain. A 16" bar uses 67 tang chain.
Are both chains .325 ?

/ Chainsaw bar question
Yep, sorry. Wrong terminology. Both bars are 16", both .325. Original is a 62 tang, new is 67.

/ Chainsaw bar question #6  
If you look on Ebay, a MS250 uses a 16" bar with 62 tang chain,and a MS260 uses a different 16" bar with 67 tang chain. Something is mixed up???

/ Chainsaw bar question
If you look on Ebay, a MS250 uses a 16" bar with 62 tang chain,and a MS260 uses a different 16" bar with 67 tang chain. Something is mixed up???

Yep, there sure is: me. For four years I thought I had a 260. Your post prompted me to go look. Guess what, it's a 250.:confused2: It couldn't have been more obvious and I still messed it up.
Thanks for the help guys.

/ Chainsaw bar question #8  
From Bailey's - just a sample bar for the 260:
This bar uses 67 drive links of .325 pitch x .063 chain - WPL 23RC67 or 60 drive links of .375 pitch x .063 chain - WPL 33RC60 (Check the pitch of your chainsaw first)

And another bar:
This bar uses 64 drive links of .375 (3/8) pitch x .063 gauge chainsaw chain - WPL 33RC60
This bar has a 11 tooth sprocketnose tip
Are you sure the new chain (67 links) is .325?
Check out Bailey's online.

If you were close I'd break and spin the chain shorter. Any good Stihl shop should be able to do that.

/ Chainsaw bar question
Turns out (above) I was mistaken as to what saw I had. :confused2: This bar/chain isn't going to work. Thanks for the website, I'll check it out.

/ Chainsaw bar question #10  
Yep, there sure is: me. For four years I thought I had a 260. Your post prompted me to go look. Guess what, it's a 250.:confused2: It couldn't have been more obvious and I still messed it up.
Thanks for the help guys.

Wow! That explains it! All the plastic on the 250 should have been your first clue -- the 260 is a pro saw, and has a metal case.