Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,851  
Something to note for those with the Nighthawk MR1100 (4g) is that the WiFi on it really sucks. You might get good signal to the tower, but unless you run it through the Ethernet port to another WiFi router or WiFi hotspot, it will max out at about 40mbps and limit the number of attached devices (to 6 or 9, I think).

Mine runs to a switch, then to several devices via Ethernet cable and a EXT7000 hotspot. 19 connected devices and 120-220mbps speed, depending. I only have the 2.4Ghz radio on in low power as a way to connect to the router in emergencies.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,852  
Something to note for those with the Nighthawk MR1100 (4g) is that the WiFi on it really sucks. You might get good signal to the tower, but unless you run it through the Ethernet port to another WiFi router or WiFi hotspot, it will max out at about 40mbps and limit the number of attached devices (to 6 or 9, I think).

Mine runs to a switch, then to several devices via Ethernet cable and a EXT7000 hotspot. 19 connected devices and 120-220mbps speed, depending. I only have the 2.4Ghz radio on in low power as a way to connect to the router in emergencies.
20 devices on the current model I have. You can up the power in settings. They call it "Range". From the factory it is set to low. I bumped it to maximum. That comes at a cost to battery life, but mine lives in the basement plugged in 100% of the time so no big deal.

Also if you want to attach to an external switch or router you have to adjust a couple settings to make the ethernet port on the device always on. Again that comes with a power drain, but I am plugged in.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,853  
20 devices on the current model I have. You can up the power in settings. They call it "Range". From the factory it is set to low. I bumped it to maximum. That comes at a cost to battery life, but mine lives in the basement plugged in 100% of the time so no big deal.

Also if you want to attach to an external switch or router you have to adjust a couple settings to make the ethernet port on the device always on. Again that comes with a power drain, but I am plugged in.
Is that 20 devices on the Nighthawk's wifi?

'Range' (wifi radio power) isn't the same as 'throughput' (speed). The physical WiFi radio in the Nighthawk is limited to ~40mbps throughput.. 2 examples: Slow one connected directly to the Nighthawk's Wifi, other one's when connected to the AP's WiFi ('hotspot' which is connected to the Nighthawk's ethernet port)

Also, double check your ethernet timeout. Some reported the last update reset theirs to 2 minutes. Doesn't stop you from accessing the internet, but does introduce some lag while the port wakes up.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,854  
Is that 20 devices on the Nighthawk's wifi?

'Range' (wifi radio power) isn't the same as 'throughput' (speed). The physical WiFi radio in the Nighthawk is limited to ~40mbps throughput.. 2 examples: Slow one connected directly to the Nighthawk's Wifi, other one's when connected to the AP's WiFi ('hotspot' which is connected to the Nighthawk's ethernet port)

Also, double check your ethernet timeout. Some reported the last update reset theirs to 2 minutes. Doesn't stop you from accessing the internet, but does introduce some lag while the port wakes up.
Correct 20 devices connected to the Nighthawk Wifi. It has an ethernet port so you can just hook up whatever wifi router you want behind if you desire. We have it hooked to a point to point system to beam signal out to our barn. Then a wifi router hooked to that to provide internet coverage out in the barn.

Given our signal strength we are getting about 20-30 down regardless if we use the Nighthawk or a router attached to the ethernet port.

I just changed the settings on the port to "unlimited" or whatever the setting is to not go sleepy sleepy on me. Since the router is pluged in all the time power consumption is not a worry.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,855  
How expensive is the nighthawk if you buy it outright $249.99. I mean what is the monthly bill after that?

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,856  
Your service through AT&T doesn't change just because you switched devices. If you had the service at $20/mo that's what it remains.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,857  
I think I pay like $23 a month, cheap

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,858  
   / Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,859  
The Mobley plan I have is no longer available for new customers. I have had it 2 years I think

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,860  
How long have you had it for? I think it is a lot more now.
Nope. Those who got in on the plan still pay $20/month (plus taxes, so $23-ish).

But if you didn't get in on the Mobley plan then yes it would cost a lot more to get a comparable hotspot plan today.