Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #61  
There is only so much a cylinder rod will take. If the "scoop" had only been used to lift at the tip I doubt you would have had an issue. Pushing down on the tip exerts a lot of force on the rod. Imagine pulling up on the front edge of the standard bucket and the hydraulic pressure created within the cylinder. Now imagine putting a 5' cheater bar on the bucket and lifting up and see how much hydraulic pressure it creates trying to compress the cylinder.
then you realize there is a pressure release valve in the system, that would have stopped it.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #62  
Looks like the absence of the pivot linkages is probably what is causing the issue, hopefully you get it worked out real soon.

Yes, that is the problem. The pivot linkages that prevent the cylinders from over extending at a high stress angle are missing.

They MF adv. photos are also missing the same parts, and that's a problem too. You can see the holes and bushings where they are supposed to be.

This is all pretty basic linkage mechanics. Any design engineer will get it right. Apparently the loader designer did, hence the unused mounting holes. Apparently the parts got lost.

That's all easy enough to fix. Just have the dealer get the parts and new cylinders and bolt them in, or make the linkages yourself and order better made universal cylinders for a quarter the price. Some hydraulic shops will make up cylinders and they still won't be $1000/set.

We see the problem, the solution seems equally simple. It's a new world of supply and interaction. Be glad the rest of the tractor works & you can get one.
rScotty

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending
I'm trying to figure out why this isn't a Kubota tractor? I mean, he's "rich enough to by the best".. :unsure:
Just for you...
loader-arms-from-drivers-seat-jpg.2478995

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #64  
then you realize there is a pressure release valve in the system, that would have stopped it.
Not necessarily or you would need a relief valve for every loader function. Likely there is just one relief valve for all functions. As long as the valve is open, it may have access to the relief valve system. If the valve is closed, it may be a closed system on the cylinder side of the rod piston. Stick the cheater bar in the ground, hit reverse and you instantly may have thousands of PSI in the cylinder. And the rods weakest point is fully extended.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #65  
Oh man!! I had one of those stump buckets. After I broke the SSQA brackets on my FEL I sold it (luckily the welds had bad penetration and I got it warrantied). I miss it sometimes. Kinda wish I would have kept it for digging ditches or gingerly digging small holes. But probably better that I just got rid of it.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #66  
Not necessarily or you would need a relief valve for every loader function. Likely there is just one relief valve for all functions. As long as the valve is open, it may have access to the relief valve system. If the valve is closed, it may be a closed system on the cylinder side of the rod piston. Stick the cheater bar in the ground, hit reverse and you instantly may have thousands of PSI in the cylinder. And the rods weakest point is fully extended.
yes and said he never moved the tractor. and simply lifted it, you can see it in th video, no relief ever popped.

i go into relief so often its annoying. although i agree with everything people are saying, i still feel the relief should have kicked in.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #67  
yeah, I agree with aquamoose. From an engineering standpoint, there should be triangulation brackets so the cylinders just move on the arm. The arms should be moving the bucket, not the cylinders. This keeps the cylinders in optimal operating angles and doesn't side load them which is what we see here. cheaper cylinders may also have a smaller piston with a looser seal that would allow side loading to bend the rods. Even high strength solid steel rods though would bend with enough load. As far as overloading the FEL, I don't think it did as I didn't see the front or back end come up off of the ground as I know all of us at one point or another has lifted at least one end up with our FELs.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #69  
Yes, that is the problem. The pivot linkages that prevent the cylinders from over extending at a high stress angle are missing.

They MF adv. photos are also missing the same parts, and that's a problem too. You can see the holes and bushings where they are supposed to be.

This is all pretty basic linkage mechanics. Any design engineer will get it right. Apparently the loader designer did, hence the unused mounting holes. Apparently the parts got lost.

That's all easy enough to fix. Just have the dealer get the parts and new cylinders and bolt them in, or make the linkages yourself and order better made universal cylinders for a quarter the price. Some hydraulic shops will make up cylinders and they still won't be $1000/set.

We see the problem, the solution seems equally simple. It's a new world of supply and interaction. Be glad the rest of the tractor works & you can get one.
rScotty
Its not a simple fix.

Its not simply a matter of getting the parts everyone thinks are "missing".

A FL2814 and FLX2815 loader booms are identical.
The 2814 has SHORTER curl cylinders and uses linkages
The 2815 has LONGER cylinders to do away with the linkage.

So you would have to replace the cylinder as well. But the loader this thread is all about is missing NOTHING according to massey.

And loaders can be designed either way. There are THOUSANDS of loaders out there with the cylinder directly attached and do not have this issue. ITs not a matter of which is better or direct pin vs 4-bar. They BOTH have pros and cons and they BOTH work just fine.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #70  
Just for you...
loader-arms-from-drivers-seat-jpg.2478995
Point? Still doesnt explain why you rag on people for not having a Kubota while showing you have a MF.