Chipper accident

/ Chipper accident #21  
They were. In 1987 I worked a while for a small company out of Athol, Mass. and the chippers they had were self feeding
I was a utility forester in Indiana from 94-98 and we didn't have a single self feeder within my 6 crews until around 97, Used Altec Whisper chippers up until then. Seems like they were all gas engines also. the first self feeder that we got in my territory was a diesel, but don't remember the details.

/ Chipper accident #22  
This is good. Growing up, I did a lot of tree work. My best friend‘s dad did it, full time. I about died, several times. They had a giant trailer chipper that could take anything we could feed it. As kids, it was fun to put the large stuff in, just to see if it would eat it. It always did.

One day we were putting stuff in the giant chipper, by ourselves. I was probably around ten years old, maybe a bit younger. I got a big (for me, anyway) branch started and turned to get the next branch. As the chipper pulled the branch in it snagged me. Since I was facing away from the chipper, to grab the next branch, I was pulled backwards. I ended up getting pulled up onto the feed tray and in a full panic was able to twist enough and hang onto the edges of the feeding tray tight enough the branch went in, without me. It did rip my shirt and I had some skin missing and I was terrified, but continued working like nothing happened. When they asked what happened to my shirt, I just said a branch got it. I’m still scared of those damn things. I’ll use them, but I’m much more careful, many years later.

Another time I about died was when I about fell out of a double bucket truck at near full extension. The truck was parked as close to the house as it could be and we were over a house. I had a chainsaw, in one hand, and would hold the cut branch, with the other. After making the cut, we had to swing the branch, so it wouldn’t hit the house. Unfortunately, I was too short for my feet to reach the bottom of the bucket and still work. I used the edge of the bucket, to hold my waist, while I had my legs pushed against the sides of the opposite side of the bucket to lock me in. One of the branches gave way as I was cutting, before I was ready and was too heavy, for me to stop it. It jerked my legs out of the bucket before I could let go of the branch and get the saw clear. Fortunately, the way I got pulled I ended up jammed between the bucket and the linkage holding the bucket, just not in the bucket. I also managed to not drop the Stihl saw. I sat there, frozen, one hand holding the saw, the other arm wrapped around part of the boom (stick? I don’t know what the part is called). My friend was in the other bucket and tried to help me get back in my bucket, but he was too far away and too little to really to help. I managed to relax enough and get back in my bucket and back to work, but since then, I’ve had trouble with heights. After that, I only worked in the bucket truck, when I had to.

My friend took over his father’s business. Sadly, next week will be the fourth anniversary, of his death. Nearly four years ago, he was in a bucket and accidentally hit a power line. As it was reported, by his brother, who just happened to stop by to pick something up, my friend hit the line and was immediately on fire. The brother jumped on the truck and started moving the bucket to the ground. When he got about ten feet away, my friend, who was flailing around due to actively being on fire, fell out of the bucket and landed on his head. His brother got the fire out and help on the way. He was then flown to a burn unit. I drove a hundred miles to see him, even though we had not spoken, in a few years. I had been a cop and a fire fighter, for several years, and have seen about everything bad there is to see, but didn’t go in and see him. I made it to his door. I talked to his family and left. He died a couple days later.
My God, a 10 year old feeding a big chipper. Where were your parents? You are lucky to be alive. There was an incident some years ago in Kenosha Wi where an experienced chipper guy disappeared into the pile. Gruesome accidents can and do happen in real life.

/ Chipper accident #23  
My God, a 10 year old feeding a big chipper. Where were your parents? You are lucky to be alive. There was an incident some years ago in Kenosha Wi where an experienced chipper guy disappeared into the pile. Gruesome accidents can and do happen in real life.

My parents didn’t know what, specifically, I was doing. They knew I was working, but no working knowledge of what tasks I did. At the time, I didn’t know I was doing things that weren’t normal, for my age. My friend was my age and he could do it. I was capable of working, why wouldn’t I work?

I‘m lucky to be alive, after a lot of things.

Last edited:
   / Chipper accident #24  

Here is an article, about that incident. Terrible tragedy.

/ Chipper accident #25  
i spent a lot of time using the "old" drum type chippers. They can be dangerous. They can kill you!
To feed the chipper, you stand to the side and throw the branch to the drum. It will dissapear quickly.
I never used gloves. I taught my guys not to watch it chip. Toos and move to next piece.
Never, ever stick any body part into the chute if you like that body part!
If you have a piece of brush stuck, you can use a push stick. I used a 5' branch with small fork on end. Stay safe!

/ Chipper accident
There was a mill worker killed years ago after crawling into a big drum chipper before it had stopped turning.. His coworker in the crane watched, unable to do anything.

/ Chipper accident #27  
The Bandit looks like a man eater. Why would any company make such a large "chuck and duck" machine? Controlled feed with safety bars to stop and reverse make way too much sense over the lower cost. My Champion gas powered unit requires a lot of attention.

If you’re climbing and cutting trees all day a chuck and duck chipper is the safest thing you’ll do all day.

/ Chipper accident #28  
There was a mill worker killed years ago after crawling into a big drum chipper before it had stopped turning.. His coworker in the crane watched, unable to do anything.

He just crawled in? A suicide?

/ Chipper accident
He just crawled in? A suicide?
He apparently shut it down and went in to work on it, not realizing that the drum was still turning.