Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail)

/ Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #31  
Hello everyone,

This is my first time here, just pulled the trigger on a 2022 Kioti DK4210 this week.

I don't have much experience plowing/pushing/blowing snow, so I was wondering what would be the best attachment that I should get to clear the snow in my 3 Kilometer long wood trail?
I just want to make a path wide enough for the tractor to collect wood.
My tractor doesn't have snow chains yet, but my land is pretty flat so I figured I'll wait and see how much traction I'm able to get in the trails.

Oh, and by the way we get a fairly decent amount a snow here in Quebec, Canada
You will need snow chains because once the snow warms up it will become greasy and
you can load up the lugs on the tires with ice and snow making it hard to gain traction
without snow and mud chains.

Making a path only wide enough to travel through will eventually create ice berms
and it will become hard to travel through or clear.

If the rear tires were not loaded with liquid ballast you need to have that done at a minimum.

As you have a dirt trail you are going to need good chains at least, having good chains and
liquid ballast in the rear tires will pay dividends for your sanity.

Putting a plow on your front loader will pretty much guarantee that you will damage it from
pushing snow back and having a snow bucket will only make it worse.

For right now the best thing you can do is call your tractor dealer and ask them to mount good
4 link V bar snow chains on the tractor WITH CHAIN TIGHTENERS and have the tires loaded with liquid ballast
AND purchase a rear back blade with rear tires on it (mk martin makes those rear blades) so you can
plow and then stack snow in piles if there is room to stack snow.

I also posted and uploaded the mk martin motorized snow blowers that could be mounted on your front end
loader if it has a SSQA attachment plate.

/ Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #32  
I've had R1s, R4s and Turf tires. The turf tires did better in the snow than I expected. The R4s turned into racing slicks in greasy snow. The R1s were bt far and away the best in all types of snow.

1643065007324.png

Last edited:
   / Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #33  
You will need snow chains because once the snow warms up it will become greasy and
you can load up the lugs on the tires with ice and snow making it hard to gain traction
without snow and mud chains.

Making a path only wide enough to travel through will eventually create ice berms
and it will become hard to travel through or clear.

If the rear tires were not loaded with liquid ballast you need to have that done at a minimum.

As you have a dirt trail you are going to need good chains at least, having good chains and
liquid ballast in the rear tires will pay dividends for your sanity.

Putting a plow on your front loader will pretty much guarantee that you will damage it from
pushing snow back and having a snow bucket will only make it worse.

For right now the best thing you can do is call your tractor dealer and ask them to mount good
4 link V bar snow chains on the tractor WITH CHAIN TIGHTENERS and have the tires loaded with liquid ballast
AND purchase a rear back blade with rear tires on it (mk martin makes those rear blades) so you can
plow and then stack snow in piles if there is room to stack snow.

I also posted and uploaded the mk martin motorized snow blowers that could be mounted on your front end
loader if it has a SSQA attachment plate.
Wow, I respectfully disagree. He's got leveling ground, he gets only 10" snowfall at a time. He doesn't need the tires loaded, just add, removable weight to the hitch. he's not going to bend up his Loader Arms unless he's crashing into trees. Heck, my neighbor has an L3000 series kubota (30hp) we get 30-40" snowfalls at a clip. His homemade snowplow with a weight box small front chains on his cat 1 hitch has been happy for 12 years. The front chains is to help with Side slide when pushing a full plow of snow

Last edited:
   / Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #34  
Hello everyone,

This is my first time here, just pulled the trigger on a 2022 Kioti DK4210 this week.

I dont have much experience plowing/pushing/blowing snow, so I was wondering what would be the best attachment that I should get to clear the snow in my 3 Kilometer long wood trail?
I just want to make a path wide enough for the tractor to collect wood.
My tractor does'nt have snow chains yet, but my land is pretty flat so I figured I'll wait and see how much traction I'm able to get in the trails.

Oh and by the way we get a fairly decent amount a snow here in Quebec, Canada

Get a blower. 3 km is a long way, and plowing will just build up the berms until you can’t even get the tractor through.

/ Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #35  
As long as we are still debating this issue and while the OP has not commented since Sunday,
we do not even know what this area looks like, let alone whether it has a rut dirt road so it
seem like a fishing expedition.

/ Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #36  
That Pronovost logo is too close to the same as my Agro-Trend also made in Quebec. I've had mine for probably 25 years. Pronovost must be a successor to Agro-Trend ?
Looks like Agro trend was bought by Art's Way of Iowa in 2014 so I'm guessing no. Lots of souffleuse makers in QC

/ Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #37  
Not very often, from my perspective, a one foot plus snowfall is a lot. The snow falls we get are more like 3-4 inches maybe 5-6 times a month. And then maybe 2-3 times a year a bigger one that would get closer to the one footer.
We just got 18" plus several 1-2 snows. I have a 72" HLA snow pusher on a MT-352 LS tractor with R4 tires dont need chains. Pushed about 20" down our trail no problems. When I got tires spinning just backed up lifted bucket a 4" ish and pushed pile to the side and resumed up the trail.

Float function on FEL dont even dig up any gravel or dirt. Got a nice trail to our wood pile now.

/ Clearing snow (3 kilometer long wood trail) #38  
I had 3 old skidsteer tires laying around. I bolted them together to make a triangle shape with an eye bolt out the front and just hooked it up with a rope and pulled it. I was hoping it would pack snow through my trails for country skiers, but it was actually a pretty good plow. The good news is that used tires are cheap so all you need is a few bolts. It isn't really possible to damage the system and it floats over roots. Just an idea as it clears the bulk of the snow. I assume you'd have chains or a heavy tractor anyway after that.

This guy did basically the same thing with some boards.