Close to a deal.

/ Close to a deal. #11  
I found that a new tractor wasn't far off in price than a low hour used tractor

My experience has been the opposite. The last 4 machines I’ve bought have been lower hour machines at a considerable savings over new.

/ Close to a deal. #12  
Was that for a larger tractor or small tractor?

Another reason I'm wary of used tractors:

tractor abuse

My experience has been the opposite. The last 4 machines I’ve bought have been lower hour machines at a considerable savings over new.

/ Close to a deal. #13  
That's a good point. The prices aren't that much different and probably should be. After all, with the low hour used tractor you know where it stands and have some confidence that it will continue. It's now a proven machine, and getting it to that condition took someone some time, money, and attention to details.

With a brand new tractor, the first owner gets to do all those things himself, and in the process discover all the things that the need to be fixed and deal with them.

Tractors are built a little differently from most consumer goods, so the familiar rules that work for evaluating used cars, trucks, appliances, and power tools don't apply so well. Good tractors are still built to last a lifetime.
rScotty
A used tractor.....depending on it's age, is likely absent the Tier IV crap!

/ Close to a deal. #14  
Was that for a larger tractor or small tractor?

Another reason I'm wary of used tractors:

tractor abuse

The last 4 machines I’ve had was a Deere 310 backhoe, Kubota M59, a Kubota KX040, and a Kubota SVL75. If that’s the worst that ever happens to that tractor I’d buy it. He wasn’t ramming the tree it was controlled pushes. Yea I know it’s a loader/scooper not a dozer but practically everyone does that with them. I paid 28k for the Deere with slick tires that cost me another 2k. That’s less than half price on it. The Kubota M59 had 450 hours and I paid $44k. A new one with the options I had was probably 70k. The mini x has 1200 hours and I paid $36k. A new one with the options is for sure over 60k probably pushing 70k. The 75 I paid $42,500 with 700 hours. A new one with a cab is around 60k.

/ Close to a deal. #15  
I can see getting better deals on larger machines where $20k savings is real.

/ Close to a deal. #16  
The last 4 machines I’ve had was a Deere 310 backhoe, Kubota M59, a Kubota KX040, and a Kubota SVL75. If that’s the worst that ever happens to that tractor I’d buy it. He wasn’t ramming the tree it was controlled pushes. Yea I know it’s a loader/scooper not a dozer but practically everyone does that with them. I paid 28k for the Deere with slick tires that cost me another 2k. That’s less than half price on it. The Kubota M59 had 450 hours and I paid $44k. A new one with the options I had was probably 70k. The mini x has 1200 hours and I paid $36k. A new one with the options is for sure over 60k probably pushing 70k. The 75 I paid $42,500 with 700 hours. A new one with a cab is around 60k.
Hope I am not insulting you, but........we obviously think alike!

/ Close to a deal.
I look at used tractors online, a lot, and still, I have to say they scare me off. Tractors hold a good deal of their value. A LOT of people buy tractors that are too small and then beat on 'em. A lot of loader buckets look like they have been through a war. Part of buying a new tractor is the warranty. It adds a level of comfort that a used machine would not. I'm not particularly skilled or patient with mechanical stuff, beyond normal maintenance items. I would never consider splitting a tractor, for example, even a small one. At my age I would expect any new tractor purchase to outlast me by a lot, and I would expect that my current tractor should last at least another 15 years. When I bought it, I christened it "the last big toy before the dirt nap," but now it appears there will be one more if I don't keel over in a matter of days..
My tractor has made one trip to a dealer in 15 years, but it wasn't the one where I bought it. They went out soon after I bought it. Ease of getting to a dealer is a matter of concern for me, even if I'm lucky enough to not have to get there. If I didn't see local dealers here for decades for about every tractor or implement you would ever need, I probably would be much less concerned about distance. Local dealers used to come right out and fix tractors right in the field. You don't see much of that going on anymore. Used to be itinerant tractor mechanics in the yellow pages not long ago. They seem to have gone the way of doctors' house calls..

/ Close to a deal. #18  
I look at used tractors online, a lot, and still, I have to say they scare me off. Tractors hold a good deal of their value. A LOT of people buy tractors that are too small and then beat on 'em. A lot of loader buckets look like they have been through a war. Part of buying a new tractor is the warranty. It adds a level of comfort that a used machine would not. I'm not particularly skilled or patient with mechanical stuff, beyond normal maintenance items. I would never consider splitting a tractor, for example, even a small one. At my age I would expect any new tractor purchase to outlast me by a lot, and I would expect that my current tractor should last at least another 15 years. When I bought it, I christened it "the last big toy before the dirt nap," but now it appears there will be one more if I don't keel over in a matter of days..
My tractor has made one trip to a dealer in 15 years, but it wasn't the one where I bought it. They went out soon after I bought it. Ease of getting to a dealer is a matter of concern for me, even if I'm lucky enough to not have to get there. If I didn't see local dealers here for decades for about every tractor or implement you would ever need, I probably would be much less concerned about distance. Local dealers used to come right out and fix tractors right in the field. You don't see much of that going on anymore. Used to be itinerant tractor mechanics in the yellow pages not long ago. They seem to have gone the way of doctors' house calls..
I live 85 miles from the nearest tractor dealer.
I have 3 tractors, and have never bought one new.

I have a 14K equipment trailer.
My trailer just sits in the barn, should I need it for a tractor, or any other purpose (I keep it on blocks).
The trailer (20' -14K) cost me $4,400 new 4 years ago, and is likely still worth nearly the same as $4,400 in a savings account.
With a trailer, I have absolutely ZERO concern about how/where to get a tractor fixed!

Trailer liability insurance is extended from the towing vehicle, and a Maine trailer tag is $20/year.
Maine residency is not required!

/ Close to a deal.
Do you REALLY feel the need for a close by dealer?
How many dealer trips did you make over the 15 years with your current tractor?
You can buy all the parts or pieces you might need online, and the nice man in the big brown truck will bring them right to your door.
I live 80 miles from the nearest dealer, and have never had a need for him.
Just touching on this subject again, there is one more reason I want to purchase from a dealer that is reasonably close. That dealer hires people in the area, maintains business in the area, pays taxes in the area, etc. It's good for the economy of the area. That also makes a difference to me, though, again, I do miss having dealers locally.

/ Close to a deal.
I live 85 miles from the nearest tractor dealer.
I have 3 tractors, and have never bought one new.

I have a 14K equipment trailer.
My trailer just sits in the barn, should I need it for a tractor, or any other purpose (I keep it on blocks).
The trailer (20' -14K) cost me $4,400 new 4 years ago, and is likely still worth nearly the same as $4,400 in a savings account.
With a trailer, I have absolutely ZERO concern about how/where to get a tractor fixed!

Trailer liability insurance is extended from the towing vehicle, and a Maine trailer tag is $20/year.
Maine residency is not required!
To each his own. My Tacoma isn't big enough to tow a tractor. I'm not a skilled mechanic. We all have/want different things out of a tractor. I want someone within a reasonable distance who can do repairs that I can't. Old tractors are cool, and as with horses, fancy cars, etc. I love to look at them, but don't want to be caretakers for them, lol. Anyway, I bought from the closest dealer and the deal is done. Delivery day, and dressed in pearls for her debut shown below.

Attachments

• new old.jpg
    new old.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 182
  • poils.jpg
    poils.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185