Common rail vs mechanical injection

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #22  
Dang!!!
Must be all the turbos on the farm are shot to heck, most of those turbo'ed diesels
have well over 6000 hours on them a few over 10,000 hours, they are getting a bit tired.
We idle down for the last few minutes and don't work them hard before shutting down,
but they sure as heck don't idle for half an hour.
My little V6 diesel RAM had 98,000 miles and several thousand hours on it when I traded her in
and it had no issues to speak of.
yep The CX 105 has 3000 hrs, cummins has 135,000 miles, kubota has 1000 hrs. I better go ahead and have those turbos replaced before I run into failures ! :sneaky: 🤣

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #23  
Turbo rebuild is 500+ plus all of the piping, so around 1k.

You're not buying new turbo piping if a turbocharger fails. Maybe a new v-band clamp but that's it.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #24  
^^agree. It took diesel a bit longer to get "high-tech" but especially with pick-ups, they are much more efficient than a dozen years ago. Higher compression, higher boost, higher pump pressures, precision injectors, computer controlled, variable cam timing......the list goes on.
But they aren't as fuel efficient as newer diesels without emissions.
Cummins 5.9 without DPF gets better mileage than the newer 6.7 with DPF

I'm betting a newer common rail tractor with DPF, doesn't get as good fuel economy as a non common rail DPF tractor.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #25  

Turbos are killed faster when shutdown hot. Idle for half an hour so they cool down kills any savings.

Average turbo life is measured in 100s of hours before the bearings wear out.

Will never buy a turbo diesel again.

That’s just BS. Turbos rarely give any trouble. I have a 5.9 Cummins with 12,000 hours, a 6.5 Detroit with over 100k miles, a 4 cylinder Deere motor with 4300 hours, and my mini x and skid steer are both turbos. I’m not the original owner of any of it so I can’t say for sure they’re all original turbos but I don’t have any evidence to support they’re not.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #26  

Turbos are killed faster when shutdown hot. Idle for half an hour so they cool down kills any savings.

Average turbo life is measured in 100s of hours before the bearings wear out.

Will never buy a turbo diesel again.
Good grief, If I had to do that, I’d still be doing my first cutting hay. Lol
I ran 15 loads of soil today. Load with one tractor and let it idle maybe 1 minute and shut down. Run the MX-270 with an 8.3L Cummins (5,200 hours of heavy AG work) wide open for 5-10 minutes to spread. EGTs were down to 660 by the time I throttled down and drove back to pile….maybe 2-3 minutes.
I‘ve been running diesel trucks and tractors for 30 years and never replaced one turbo, ever! They’re tough as nails unless you don’t cool down and very forgiving if you forget, just turn engine back on a few minutes

Last edited:
   / Common rail vs mechanical injection #27  
I've been working around or running turbo diesels nearly every day for decades.
Rarely see a turbo failure

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #29  
Glad all your diesel turbos are good. Have one turbo gas engine, will be the last turbo I own.

If I want extra I'll stick with a supercharger, at least they are reliable and perform on demand.