Conoco vs Rotella Oil

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #41  
I beleive it says 0w30 or something like that. Mine has 120k on it and burns about a quart every 2k. Burnt oil on the rings causing this is a known issue. Brought it to honda for this and it was 3months past the warrenty so no warrenty to void.

I have been changing the oil every 2k in hopes that some day the rings will clean them self out. This is mostly due to the previous owner useing the oil percentage showing on the dash. They are complete junk and can lead you to believe that at 7k your oil is still good. Lots of bunt oil in the head on this engine.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #42  
What would be a better oil to use........ Conoco Fleet Supreme Ed or Rotella T4 engine oil? Either brand I値l be using 15w40.

Oh Brother , another 努hat is the best oil拝uestion粕. What is next ? Lead additive for unleaded gasoline , religion or politics .

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #43  
Lots of Rotella fans on here, me included. T6 for me. That said Conoco has to have good oil, I would not worry about that brand.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #44  
Rotella T6 is a good oil, but I feel that it thickens significantly. It seems to perform well in my old 7.3 PS up to about 2000 miles and then seems to runs slightly less smooth. Noticed that the first oil change on the Kubota that the oil was fine for the first few starts, then would trip the low oil light for a second or two at start up. Not a big deal, just not noticeable on the factory fill, nor after the second oil change with Amsoil 0w-40 signature series.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #45  
So to ask the oil guys, would an engine with oil rated 0-20 be be oil starved w/ T6 and possibly void warranty?
like many users here, i use T6 in about everything 4 stroke from tractor to small engines.
recently purchased '06 CRV that calls for 5-20. Think i'll stick with that. just asking

I had a 2009 Ram Hemi and 5w-20 was recommended for it. The oil fill cap had those characters molded into it and the owner's manual specifically stated that a heavier oil was not to be used in the engine and explained why. Part of the answer was the the oil pump was specifically designed for a lighter weight oil. Times have changed. I favored heavy oil all my life but in the early 2000s I started adjusting my thinking and equipment has changed and so have the lube requirements.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #46  
It's not about the oil pump per se....

It's about the Variable valve timing systems now used.
Those systems use oil pressure to fill a port that advances the timing and the internal spring retards the timing as the oil pressure is reduced.
Ford calls them cam phasers.
The Ram Hemi is bit more complex for the 6.4L because it has a electrical and mechanical valve disengagement system as well, called MDS.

These are not our engines of yesteryear. Technology has introduced very complex internal systems sensitive to oil viscosity.
It's about the battle of towing capacity and MPGs and of course marketing and sales.
Even Ford changed oil weight in the 6.2L. 0w-20 to 5W-30.
Tundra still uses 0W-20.

On edit:

These 0W weighted oils have lighter components called aromatics and will evaporate first thus giving the 'my oil gets thicker later on' indication.
So even long interval oil changes should be done with this in mind.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #47  
I had a 2009 Ram Hemi and 5w-20 was recommended for it. The oil fill cap had those characters molded into it and the owner's manual specifically stated that a heavier oil was not to be used in the engine and explained why. Part of the answer was the the oil pump was specifically designed for a lighter weight oil. Times have changed. I favored heavy oil all my life but in the early 2000s I started adjusting my thinking and equipment has changed and so have the lube requirements.
:thumbsup:

That is why I always follow the Owner's Manual, not what I think or what is more convenient for me or what has worked for someone else.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #48  
f
It's not about the oil pump per se....

It's about the Variable valve timing systems now used.
Those systems use oil pressure to fill a port that advances the timing and the internal spring retards the timing as the oil pressure is reduced.
Ford calls them cam phasers.
The Ram Hemi is bit more complex for the 6.4L because it has a electrical and mechanical valve disengagement system as well, called MDS.

These are not our engines of yesteryear. Technology has introduced very complex internal systems sensitive to oil viscosity.
It's about the battle of towing capacity and MPGs and of course marketing and sales.
Even Ford changed oil weight in the 6.2L. 0w-20 to 5W-30.
Tundra still uses 0W-20.

On edit:

These 0W weighted oils have lighter components called aromatics and will evaporate first thus giving the 'my oil gets thicker later on' indication.
So even long interval oil changes should be done with this in mind.

My Hemi didn't have variable valve timing.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #49  
f

My Hemi didn't have variable valve timing.

The modern 5.7 Mopar Hemi V8 engine

May want to look again.

The new variable valve timing system used hydraulic cam phasing, relatively simple and inexpensive. The hydraulic roller camshaft had oil passages in front to drive the cam phaser sprocket, and increase valve lift. A new piston/rod assembly had thinner walls with a stronger-alloy pin.

/ Conoco vs Rotella Oil #50  
I beleive it says 0w30 or something like that. Mine has 120k on it and burns about a quart every 2k. Burnt oil on the rings causing this is a known issue. Brought it to honda for this and it was 3months past the warrenty so no warrenty to void.

I have been changing the oil every 2k in hopes that some day the rings will clean them self out. This is mostly due to the previous owner useing the oil percentage showing on the dash. They are complete junk and can lead you to believe that at 7k your oil is still good. Lots of bunt oil in the head on this engine.

If the rings are coked up and not sealing and the cylinder head cam area is full of varnish and sludge, why not use an additive specific for engine clean up? I have used Rislone on the past to do just that with excellent success.

Engine Cleaner Treatment | Engine Sludge Removal