Considering New Tractor

/ Considering New Tractor #1  

nova3930

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T494
The Yanmar 2420D has been great, and is still going strong, but after acquiring more property I'm getting into some projects that need more power and weight. More heavier box blading, land clearance, discing, dragging, etc etc etc.

I've got a local dealer I've dealt with on some small equipment (Echo stuff) and been well pleased with who's also a Kioti and TYM dealer. Went and looked at a T474, T494, DK4510 and NS4710 and I pretty well like em all.

Once outfitted with options I want, all 4 came out within a couple thousand of each other, not enough to change my mind either way.

The TYM I really like that the engine is mechanical with a federated DPF system along with the dual hydraulic pump.

The Kiotis I really like the operator station. Very comfortable and ergonomic to me.

My biggest issue is all my implements are 5ft. On the 474 or 4510 I could probably skate by without changing, but the 494 or the 4710 I may need to sell everything and start over....

First world problems that all the options are good enough it makes for a hard choice.....

I'd appreciate any thoughts yall can give me to chew on....

/ Considering New Tractor #2  
The Yanmar 2420D has been great, and is still going strong, but after acquiring more property I'm getting into some projects that need more power and weight. More heavier box blading, land clearance, discing, dragging, etc etc etc.

I've got a local dealer I've dealt with on some small equipment (Echo stuff) and been well pleased with who's also a Kioti and TYM dealer. Went and looked at a T474, T494, DK4510 and NS4710 and I pretty well like em all.

Once outfitted with options I want, all 4 came out within a couple thousand of each other, not enough to change my mind either way.

The TYM I really like that the engine is mechanical with a federated DPF system along with the dual hydraulic pump.

The Kiotis I really like the operator station. Very comfortable and ergonomic to me.

My biggest issue is all my implements are 5ft. On the 474 or 4510 I could probably skate by without changing, but the 494 or the 4710 I may need to sell everything and start over....

First world problems that all the options are good enough it makes for a hard choice.....

I'd appreciate any thoughts yall can give me to chew on....
have you looked at the Mahindra 5100 series? i was looking at some of the same tractors and that is where i landed, LS also makes a nice tractor in the MT3 MT4 series.

/ Considering New Tractor
have you looked at the Mahindra 5100 series? i was looking at some of the same tractors and that is where i landed, LS also makes a nice tractor in the MT3 MT4 series.
The 5100 yeah. Dealer I bought the Yanmar from is also a massive Mahindra dealer. I liked the tractor itself, their price was just a little further on up there for comparatively equipped.

My nearest LS dealer is little off my beaten path so haven't breezed through that way yet.

/ Considering New Tractor #4  
With more land and work, go largest. Then consider what implements you really need to use regularly and only buy those. Sell the undersized implements with the tractor. That what I did recently when I bought my MX. and I’m glad that’s where I landed.

With more land and work, go largest. Then consider what implements you really need to use regularly and only buy those. Sell the undersized implements with the tractor. That what I did recently when I bought my MX. and I’m glad that’s where I landed.
That's honestly the #1 option on my list right now. Go with the 494 or 4710 and let the dealer build me a package with new box blade, disc, etc etc. Looking at the local market I might be able to make a little $ compared to what I paid several years ago....

Biggest implement investment in the yanmar is the tiller and honestly I'm not sure how much gardening I'm going to do going forward. Just no time. Even if I find time, I'm at the point I like raised beds better than a traditional garden anyway. Not as hard on my poor back and knees.....

/ Considering New Tractor #6  
That's honestly the #1 option on my list right now. Go with the 494 or 4710 and let the dealer build me a package with new box blade, disc, etc etc. Looking at the local market I might be able to make a little $ compared to what I paid several years ago....

Biggest implement investment in the yanmar is the tiller and honestly I'm not sure how much gardening I'm going to do going forward. Just no time. Even if I find time, I'm at the point I like raised beds better than a traditional garden anyway. Not as hard on my poor back and knees.....
I ended up selling my undersized 3ph tiller to my neighbor and buying a large cultivator plow for my tractor to put the garden to bed and break ground in the spring. Then I bought a walk behind rear tine tiller. For my purposes it better than the 3ph tiller because I can use it during the growing season between the rows.

I ended up selling my undersized 3ph tiller to my neighbor and buying a large cultivator plow for my tractor to put the garden to bed and break ground in the spring. Then I bought a walk behind rear tine tiller. For my purposes it better than the 3ph tiller because I can use it during the growing season between the rows.
I have thought about going to the old bottom plow and disc if I wanted to garden. Lotta used 1 and 2 bottom plows around here for nothing.....

ETA

I just looked, turning plows are going for $100 a bottom or less around here.

Last edited:
   / Considering New Tractor #8  
I have a T474 with 272h with no problems, but if you CAN. Always get the larger frame size T494/T574, weight is your friend when using ground implements. The T474 is a VERY capable mighty gnome tho and nice for tighter conditions like woods and what not.

I have a T474 with 272h with no problems, but if you CAN. Always get the larger frame size T494/T574, weight is your friend when using ground implements. The T474 is a VERY capable mighty gnome tho and nice for tighter conditions like woods and what not.
Woods aren't really any issue for me. My main place has 4 trees total lol. The new spot is just overgrown scrub.

The 494 keeps catching my eye because it comes with basically everything I'm looking for from the factory. Remotes, third function, telescoping links and stabilizers, work lights, etc etc. That plus the all mechanical engine with federated DPF. Federated = easily "mitigated" should it start giving me problems and mechanical = runs till the fuel is gone....

/ Considering New Tractor #10  
I have YET to have a regen on my license made Cummins A2300N4 engine by Kukje in 272h, I run 2k+ rpms when I work it, and PTO speed is 2400rpms. Only ECU on system is on the exhaust valve that closes when and IF it requests a regen.