considering this trailer...

/ considering this trailer... #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I've been thinking of building a fire tank/pump/hose trailer for firefighting for a while and I just ran across this trailer for sale somewhat locally.

The question is, how to determine a likely capacity of this trailer's axles? I see 6 lugs, but from the pic (the ad says nothing) I can't see much more - the brake drums look pretty small. 3500 pound capacity axle?

My thought is probably cut off the risers that held the pickup bed and weld some cross members directly to the round tube such that the flatbed is as low as can be (probably limited to the height of the tongue tube, unless we cut that back a foot and tie it to a new crossmember there). I'm able to do some welding (up to 3/16" mild steel with the current mig rig, but I'm willing to upgrade to weld heavier stuff if I find the appropriate project that requires it (oh no! don't make me buy a better welder!)).

Given that my use would be entirely low speed and very local (ie, pulled my tractor or my truck on my land or immediately adjacent), how tight would you stick to the capacity?
trailer.jpg

/ considering this trailer... #2  
IMHO, that trailer is scary. I doubt if it's even legal. Just WALK or RUN away.

/ considering this trailer... #4  
Homemade, probably has no actual specs for weight/etc.

/ considering this trailer... #6  
A couple thoughts from personal experience....

- water gets used pretty quickly when it’s employed on fires and 400 gallons doesn’t last nearly as long as you’d like.

- water spends weight capacity quickly. That 400 gallons I mentioned pretty much eats up the 3500lb number you mentioned without even talking about pump/motor/genny plumbing fittings and hose.

- it’s a right pain to prime/operate/maintain a pumper system when space limitations dictate design, as opposed to hydrodynamics and user accessibility.... especially in a time sensitive situation.

me personally, I’d look for something that gives you more space and a higher, known carrying capacity. 👍🏻

/ considering this trailer... #7  
I would get rid of the springs and weld a saddle for a 3.5" trailer house axle and use load range "G" tires. That stuff could be found cheap. Shoud be good for any load you are going to pull on it.

/ considering this trailer... #10  
tongue bar looks attached to nothing on the deck side.

I'd be looking much bigger - car hauler size, for that water purpose

at best, this one is a tow behind yard trailer only ... no papers, insurance required for that, so if cheap enough buy it for that