Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #231  
Is it hard lead? It is about the right size to feed into a linotype melting pot. The antimony-lead alloy from the old linotype machines is great for hard casting bullets. Surface discoloration may be oxidized antimony.
I worked at a newspaper that had converted from lead type shortly before I started. Lead pigs for linotypes are not that fancy. Many people had half-pigs for doorstops and bookends. They'd probably have rings on them for the feeder to gently lower then into the pot.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #232  
35C3B76D-D18B-4833-805B-FD93D66B5E00.jpeg

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #233  
I miss monotype and linotype. I always though that there was something magical about the pool of molten lead being turned into lead slugs. Many newspapers were still using individual movable type until well after men had walked on the moon, just like Gutenberg used in the 15th century. Some things change slowly.

I remember seeing one model for casting something like Monoblock in a bookbinding plant that had a very odd five finger "Keyboard". No idea what it was called.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #234  
At one garage sale, i found a real human skull with a black candle on top of it. The proprietor of the garage sale was a bit embarrassed, and said this was not for sale.. :)

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #235  
I miss monotype and linotype. I always though that there was something magical about the pool of molten lead being turned into lead slugs. Many newspapers were still using individual movable type until well after men had walked on the moon, just like Gutenberg used in the 15th century. Some things change slowly.

I remember seeing one model for casting something like Monoblock in a bookbinding plant that had a very odd five finger "Keyboard". No idea what it was called.

All the best,

Peter
Linotype had close to 100 keys.
Never saw a Monoblock.

The first week I started at the newspaper in 1987, I was assigned to help a contractor convert the saddles on the last press unit from lead plates to polymer coated aluminum printing plates. It was a keyed letterpress type printing press. The lead plates were around 1/2" thick. This company machined steel saddles that were the thickness of the lead plates minus the thickness of the aluminum plates. They had spring loaded lockups to hold the new plates. We'd set a saddle template on the press, lock it up like a lead plate, then use a mag drill to drill a bunch of mounting holes to hold the new saddles in place. Then remove the template, tap the holes, and then install the new steel saddles. It was the first time I'd ever seen a printing press, a mag drill, and a tap. It took two weeks to convert that last unit. We had to work while the press was running, so there were paper webs sailing over us for hours at a time. Maybe a foot or two above your head. And it was LOUD in there.

I loved it! Best job I ever had. Lasted 30 years. Still miss it, but life goes on. ;)

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #236  
Linotype had close to 100 keys.
Never saw a Monoblock.

The first week I started at the newspaper in 1987, I was assigned to help a contractor convert the saddles on the last press unit from lead plates to polymer coated aluminum printing plates. It was a keyed letterpress type printing press. The lead plates were around 1/2" thick. This company machined steel saddles that were the thickness of the lead plates minus the thickness of the aluminum plates. They had spring loaded lockups to hold the new plates. We'd set a saddle template on the press, lock it up like a lead plate, then use a mag drill to drill a bunch of mounting holes to hold the new saddles in place. Then remove the template, tap the holes, and then install the new steel saddles. It was the first time I'd ever seen a printing press, a mag drill, and a tap. It took two weeks to convert that last unit. We had to work while the press was running, so there were paper webs sailing over us for hours at a time. Maybe a foot or two above your head. And it was LOUD in there.

I loved it! Best job I ever had. Lasted 30 years. Still miss it, but life goes on. ;)

Nerves. Of. Steel.

I have seen those presses in action, and know the tolerances. Not human compatible. 😱 Sounds like a great start to a great job though.

I had a quick look for the type casting machine that I saw at the Acme bookbinding plant outside of Cleveland. I can't find it in any of the common histories of typesetting. No idea which kind it was...

All the best, Peter

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #238  
Nerves. Of. Steel.

I have seen those presses in action, and know the tolerances. Not human compatible. 😱 Sounds like a great start to a great job though.

I had a quick look for the type casting machine that I saw at the Acme bookbinding plant outside of Cleveland. I can't find it in any of the common histories of typesetting. No idea which kind it was...

All the best, Peter
After that project was over, we had to convert all of the press units from keyed to keyless. Some of that involved sitting inside of running press units while mounting electrical boxes, wiring harnesses, then making adjustments to the new sensors. You haven't lived until you climb inside a running press unit. It sounds like you're sitting inside the engine compartment of a large truck doing 60. The rollers are inches from your head. One wrong move and it would be like putting your head into a giant wringer washing machine. Death would be instant. No loose clothing. No rags in pockets. All shirts tucked in. And I cut my hair pretty short, too. I ranked that part of the job right up there with jump-starting aircraft that had the plug between the prop and the leading edge of the wing. Total concentration or death. 😬

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #240  
When we bought our 25 acre rental property, there was indeed a dump on it. Spent years getting rid of all the stuff, including huge amount of old metal roofing. Still finding stuff today.

The property is one of the original properties on the lake, and was an old lodge once owned by a gold refining company. Never found any gold, however!

However, there is still one underground chamber that looks like a collapsed root cellar that we haven’t yet explored…