Cordless drills

/ Cordless drills #21  
Thanks for the replies, I was just kidding around when I said $60 was the maximum price, under $100 is the accurate one.

So never owning a Lithium ion battery will I surprised at the difference of that and the NiCad?

Basically I just use mine for light duty stuff, like drill some holes here and there and screw some screws when needed, any bigger jobs I always go to the corded drill. Before this sears drill I had a 2 battery 18 volt black and decker that I really liked only problem is some meth head liked it better and stole it along with other assorted tools and chain saws. I never had 2 batteries with this sears one but I sure remember that 2 batteries came in very handy when doing sheetrock work by always having a hot battery to use. One thing Ive ran into researcing drills the last couple days is the RPM specs, would I necessarily go after the highest RPM one or the one that has the highest ft/pounds?

A lithium ion battery will maintain its charge for a long time as opposed to NiCad which is a good thing. NiCad types generally lose their charge during prolonged storage periods for sure my NiMh Makita battteries do. Sucks when you grab the drill find out the charge is gone...and of course in both batteries too! :D

Plus Li-Ion up may charge faster depending on the setup charger and battery amp rating usually within an hour for most and some types in just 30 min.

If having the cordless drill is more for a convenience than being your main go to tool...maybe a 12V drill or combo package would be more economical. They usually run less than the 18V models. I grabbed a Milwaukee 12v drill offer that had 2 batteries, case, charger and came with free impact driver all for $99. CPO an HD both have a similar 2 pc Makita offer for $109 now. I considered both of them at one point a while ago. I preferred the Milwaukee when it was said and done and couldn't be more pleased with the performance of either tool but most especially the little 2462 impact driver.

I would consider a tool's torque rating more valuable than overall max rpm speed...just my opinion. A lot depends on what your doing with it though.

/ Cordless drills #23  
+1.....maybe 1000 on the Ryobi cordless drills...........Mine is an impact/drill. Have used it on bricks, concrete, and of course wood.........Have put on 2 metal roofs with it and built a pole barn, driving 3" lag bolts with ease.......Batteries last a verrrrrrry long time and the motor is STRONG.........good stuff..........God bless...........Dennis

/ Cordless drills #24  
I have several of the Ryobi 18 volt tools (drills, impact driver, pole saw, weedeater). All of them have worked flawlessly.

Same here. And I have one old 9.6 volt Ryobi that is at least 25 years old, and it still works.. Yes it is looking a bit ratty, and has been thru a few Nicad pack rebuilds, but it is still kicking and I still use it.

I really like my 18 volt Lithium Ryobi tools, and I have many. Cheap enough to afford for the homeowner. Sure there are better tools out there for pro's or homeowners that want the best, but the Ryobi is good enough and gives good value for low dollars. At least in my opinion.:)

/ Cordless drills #25  
I know sometimes Lowe's and I think also Hone Depot have the 18V Hitachi on sale for about $60. I know a couple of guys who do a lot of equipment installation and repair that buy these and really like them. They say they last as long as the Milwuakees and Dewalts they have and are not near as heavy to take with them to the jobsite.

/ Cordless drills #26  
Helpful thread. I have burned up a number of drills over the years. Probably need to invest in an impact driver in addition to the drill, as I use the drill as a driver.

/ Cordless drills #27  
I know sometimes Lowe's and I think also Hone Depot have the 18V Hitachi on sale for about $60. I know a couple of guys who do a lot of equipment installation and repair that buy these and really like them. They say they last as long as the Milwuakees and Dewalts they have and are not near as heavy to take with them to the jobsite.

I forgot about Hitachi. I use Makita but I have heard good things about Hitachi from guys that really use things hard.

/ Cordless drills #28  
Helpful thread. I have burned up a number of drills over the years. Probably need to invest in an impact driver in addition to the drill, as I use the drill as a driver.

YES! An impact driver is night-and-day better than a cordless drill for screws and bolts. I burned up a few drills in the past, but since getting the impact driver, I haven't damaged a single drill and the impact driver is still going strong. I used to think the impact drivers were just scaled-down torque wrenches, but they're not -- they work on everything from bolts to screws. That said, I still use the drill with the torque-collar adjustment for driving smaller screws into delicate materials where I don't want to damage anything... or better yet, I do it by hand the old fashioned way.

/ Cordless drills #29  
All of us mechanics in the hangar have either Milwuakee or Makita. Everyonce in a while, someone brings in a Dewalt.............but it soon disappears.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cordless drills #30  
All of us mechanics in the hangar have either Milwuakee or Makita. Everyonce in a while, someone brings in a Dewalt.............but it soon disappears.
hugs, Brandi

So the Dewalt is the one that everybody wants to take home?