Crazy idea?

/ Crazy idea?
Most car pumps Iv seen spin at about crank speed. Your drive pulley on the alternator is spinning almost 2x crank speed. May be ok to run the pump at 2x but ? necessary. Its just more power stepping up through that small pulley alternator drive. If you could find a short multigroove/serpentine belt for the secondary it might reduce the pulley groove depth overhead enough to ease making prudent speed choices. - - More efficient too.
I like that multi groove belt idea. Easier to machine too. Lots easier. Cars, especially small cars, tend to rev higher than the 2700 max my engine spins. So a small car pump looks even better. I can look at pulley sizes at the wreckers to see if any pumps are being over driven. And it may seem crazy, but why not, that's the theme, but I could go as large as 7.5 inches on the pump pulley without running into clearance issues.
Eric.

/ Crazy idea? #22  
I like that multi groove belt idea. Easier to machine too. Lots easier. Cars, especially small cars, tend to rev higher than the 2700 max my engine spins. So a small car pump looks even better. I can look at pulley sizes at the wreckers to see if any pumps are being over driven. And it may seem crazy, but why not, that's the theme, but I could go as large as 7.5 inches on the pump pulley without running into clearance issues.
Eric.

Once you get the pump+reservoir, then something like this to finish the job.

/ Crazy idea? #23  
Eric.

From Hot Rod Magazine on vehicles that never had PS. Can adapt to Ag machines too.

1632274165225.png

/ Crazy idea? #24  
hey hey hey ! I love the NEW forum and the working SEARCH tool.

I found this thread again on PS for YM Yanmars

/ Crazy idea? #25  
OR check out the John Deere kits that fit our YM series machines. Be sure to review the JD compact 50 Series as those kits would be closer to a perfect fit.

/ Crazy idea?
Today I was offered a pump from a Honda. At least the guy thinks it's a Honda pump. He showed me pictures with a tape measure in the picture. It is quite small. It has an approximately 4.5 inch diameter multigroove pulley. I think it will be perfect. I will need to attach a fitting of some sort to the high pressure outlet. Maybe I can get a short length of hose crimped on and have the proper fitting crimped into the other end of the hose. I want to be able to change the long hoses easily in case they get damaged. They will, after all, be exposed somewhat under the tractor. Since it looks like I'm just getting a pump I will still need to buy or make an oil reservoir for the thing. I guess I will need to look at power steering reservoir capacities to know how big to make my reservoir.
Eric

/ Crazy idea?
If I need to I will just TIG braze a fitting to the high pressure pipe that comes out of the pump. This is an easy job. I think I will just buy the correct fitting and TIG braze it. No need for paying for crimps.

/ Crazy idea?
My seat of the pants feeling is that the power steering will be drawing no more than 3 HP at 2000 RPM. The alternator is being over driven by about 2 to 1. So 1000 engine RPM equals 2000 RPM alternator speed. This means that my power steering pump will be driven at approximately the same speed. Furthermore, the vee belt driving the alternator can deliver this amount of HP at the speeds involved. Anyway, more to come,
Eri

/ Crazy idea? #29  
My seat of the pants feeling is that the power steering will be drawing no more than 3 HP at 2000 RPM. The alternator is being over driven by about 2 to 1. So 1000 engine RPM equals 2000 RPM alternator speed. This means that my power steering pump will be driven at approximately the same speed. Furthermore, the vee belt driving the alternator can deliver this amount of HP at the speeds involved. Anyway, more to come,
Eri

Looking forward on how this shapes up. :)

/ Crazy idea? #30  
It would be higher than the water pump but will not fit directly above it. I really need to go to the Pick and Pull auto dismantlers and look at power steering pumps. It would be really nice if I can find a pump that has its own reservoir and fits in the space available. I would rather avoid a separate reservoir, especially since the one from the donor car may not fit where I can put one. Still, I can easily weld one up. I have the material, equipment, and skill needed to do the job.
I have a few Toyotas. There SUVs so I don't know cars but the smaller one is basically a Camry running gear. They all seem to have remote resivoirs, mine do. The pump is fairly small and so is the pulley if I remember right. I have not had my hands on the Highlander one but I have removed the one on the Sequoia for a timing belt job. Its pretty compact. Its the same as the one on the tundra. I have a first gen Sequoia which was the smaller tundra.