Crazy idea?

/ Crazy idea?
I have looked at every vehicle and tractor engine I have. They all spin clockwise when viewed from the front. This of course translates to CCW when viewed from the seat.
All the engines I looked at were mounted in line with the long axis of the machine.
Today I picked up a power steering pump from what was most likely from a Honda car. It probably had a transverse mounted engine. This means the power steering pump could have been mounted on either end of the engine. A person would think that by looking at the intake and exhaust of the pump inlets the rotation could be easily determined. Unfortunately the way this pump is made the direction of rotation is ambiguous. I am going to be talking to a friend who owns an import car repair business if he can help me. Fortunately he owns a 2310D. (I wish mine was a 2310D instead of just a 2310) and he would also like power steering. So he is interested in my little project.
I am glad forums like this exist for the free sharing of experience and knowledge. Though I don't know whether I have gained more or given away more knowledge since I started participating in knowledge sharing on the internet way back in the 80s I know I have benefited greatly from sharing and the knowledge I have gained would have cost me more than I could afford if there was a price.
All that said I will continue posting about my progress and will start posting pictures when appropriate.
I originally wanted this project to be one that could be done with typical tools available to the average equipment owner. But there will be some machining involved. So to make this project cost as little as possible I will post prints of any machining done as well as how I did the machining. That way the info could be used by hobby machinists as well as professional ones. The same goes for any welding.
I will also post my misteaks, er, mistakes. We can all learn from them too.
Eric

/ Crazy idea?
OK, first mistake. I forgot to say that when I picked up the pump today it already had a short length of the high pressure hose attached, 4 inches or so. Now I have a decision to make. Should I have a fitting crimped into the hose that I can thread my new hose onto or should I TIG braze a similar fitting to the high pressure tube coming from the pump? The tube comes off of the pump with a couple screws so it can be removed easily and then cleaned for the TIG brazing.
Eric

/ Crazy idea?
On to to oil reservoir and which oil to use.
I was told in a reply to a post I made about adding power steering to my YM2310 that a certain John Deere oil would work. I will look up that post and most likely use that oil. At this I would rather risk my free pump than the cylinder/valve combo that I bought and may be hard to find seals for.
There are several reasons I think I should use a stock Honda car power steering reservoir. Since it is plastic it will be resilient. If I make one from steel, aluminum, copper, or brass, the reservoir will be relatively stiff compared to plastic. So it will need to be isolated from vibration. A metal one will also need to have the the tubes coming from it sized properly for the hoses. These tubes will need to be made such that they will not crack at the reservoir/tube interface. They will be at low pressure though so that makes things a little easier. The reservoir will also need a cap. Plus it will be advantageous to have some sort of level indicator.
Though I have all the materials, skills, and tools to fab up reservoirs complete with level markings, and I can make cool looking caps too, I think a stock plastic reservoir will serve me, and the next owner, best.
A polished brass, aluminum, or stainless steel reservoir would look great. And even though I'm retired and now have more time for projects, this is one where I need to spend my time being practical. I am putting power steering on a tool that should have had it to begin with. Other folks with the same type of tractor will probably agree. They want a tool that works well and is a good value. So they don't want to spend a lot of time and money to make their tractor easier to drive, but will spend some time and money and elbow grease to make their small tractor more productive. That way some old fart like me can spend a little more time enjoying a beverage on the front porch bragging about the power steering install.
Eric

Last edited:
   / Crazy idea? #34  
On to to oil reservoir and which oil to use.
I was told in a reply to a post I made about adding power steering to my YM2310 that a certain John Deere oil would work. I will look up that post and most likely use that oil. At this I would rather risk my free pump than the cylinder/valve combo that I bought and may be hard to find seals for.
There are several reasons I think I should use a stock Honda car power steering reservoir. Since it is plastic it will be resilient. If I make one from steel, aluminum, copper, or brass, the reservoir will be relatively stiff compared to plastic. So it will need to be isolated from vibration. A metal one will also need to have the the tubes coming from it sized properly for the hoses. These tubes will need to be made such that they will not crack at the reservoir/tube interface. They will be at low pressure though so that makes things a little easier. The reservoir will also need a cap. Plus it will be advantageous to have some sort of level indicator.
Though I have all the materials, skills, and tools to fab up reservoirs complete with level markings, and I can make cool looking caps too, I think a stock plastic reservoir will serve me, and the next owner, best.
A polished brass, aluminum, or stainless steel reservoir would look great. And even though I'm retired and now have more time for projects, this is one where I need to spend my time being practical. I am putting power steering on a tool that should have had it to begin with. Other folks with the same type of tractor will probably agree. They want a tool that works well and is a good value. So they don't want to spend a lot of time and money to make their tractor easier to drive, but will spend some time and money and elbow grease to make their small tractor more productive. That way some old fart like me can spend a little more time enjoying a beverage on the front porch bragging about the power steering install.
Eric

Eric,

John Deere Hy-Gard J20C or Yanmar TF-500A (same stuff). Thus, the same hydraulic fluid for the PS and the 3PT and loader all work. IF you are really fussy, Mopar ATF+4 as it's full synthetic.

/ Crazy idea? #35  
I am putting power steering on a tool that should have had it to begin with. Other folks with the same type of tractor will probably agree.
Eric

Just an FYI, the YM2310 and the other machines above a YM1720 did come with the option of having OE PS. :) In fact Yanmar in their literature boasted about offering PS.

See your YM2310 info here:

Member California here can tell you the 'leaking' troubles with the OE design too. LOL

IF I had to PS my machine, I would go the electric assist PS option. No hoses, no pump, no belts, just mount and plug the connector in. :)

/ Crazy idea?
Just an FYI, the YM2310 and the other machines above a YM1720 did come with the option of having OE PS. :) In fact Yanmar in their literature boasted about offering PS.

See your YM2310 info here:

Member California here can tell you the 'leaking' troubles with the OE design too. LOL

IF I had to PS my machine, I would go the electric assist PS option. No hoses, no pump, no belts, just mount and plug the connector in. :)
Yeah, well, I already have the cylinder made for this tractor, the one that Hoye sells. And now it looks like I have a pump that will work. Plus, those electric units are spendy. I hope I don't have issues with leaky stuff but I do know how to rebuild hydraulic cylinders if it comes down to that. Besides, using the electric option obviates my crazy idea which would deprive me of the fun of making stuff.
Eric

/ Crazy idea? #37  
Not sure if I had posted this in the thread here - - -

This is the Yanmar OE PS system for YM machines

Yanmar YM power Steering Kit pg 1.jpg

Yanmar YM power Steering Kit pg 2.jpg

/ Crazy idea? #38  
Got a bunch of info from members here on TBN and other sources to make the attached.

YM180 & YM187 PS Manual

Attachments

• YM180-D YM187-D YPS Power Steering Manual.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 60
   / Crazy idea? #39  
A Yanmar OE original for the YM186

Attachments

• YM186D YPS Power Steering Manual.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 76
   / Crazy idea? #40  
Alex made a PS unit for his YM1300

Attachments