Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?)

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #1  

Denwa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
Gentlemen,
Witness that wood splitters are basically a hydraulic press, but different, it would be interesting to see what creative and alternative uses folks have put them to. A wood splitter was the first hydraulic thing I had purchased, kicking myself for not having done so 20 years sooner. It revolutionized my wood gathering, and now that I have a tractor as well, furthering the revolution, I have discovered at least one good use my wood splitter.

A week or so ago I was asking the TBNers for ideas on how to straighten the upwardly bent lower lip on my FEL. I was contemplating a Rube Goldberg combination of hydraulic *puller*, a couple of jack stands and a strongback of some sort. Someone who had a better appreciation of his tool inventory said that a wood splitter had done the job nicely for him. Barnyard genius!

Another lister chimed in with the experience of using a wood splitter as a bead breaker, another insightful use for the several tons of force available.

So gents, any ladies(?), manufacturer's cautions aside, what have you found, or can you envision as good alternative uses for a wood splitter?

Regards,
Dennis (WA)

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #2  
What, no pics of the success on the bucket lip? We like pics, not just talk :D :D Please.

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #3  
Trash compactor?

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #4  
mine will "punch" a rim out of tire; making the rim scrap, and leaving the tire for disposal.......

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #5  
Walnut cracker?

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #6  
I use it to push bushings out of the trailing arms on the Range Rover.
Random straightening or bending of steel parts.

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #7  
I use mine to Split Oak firewood. :ashamed:

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #9  
Flip it upside down. Attach to FEL quick attach plate. Make it moving wedge and stationary anvil.

It's a stump splitter!

/ Creative Uses For Wood Splitter. (?) #10  
My home-made splitter has the wedge on the cylinders. I used two 3.25" that I had laying around. shortly after building it, I made a flat adapter for the wedge. It is about 8x10". I use it alot for straightening things or pushing out pins,etc. I mainly built the flat adapter to further mash beer cans that come out of my home-made can crusher, which is air operated. The can crusher flattens cans to a degree that about 160 cans fit in a 30 pack box. I then mash those 6 at a time in the log-splitter....resulting in 30 cans that'll fit in your back pocket !!. thus taking up less room until I cash them in.