CT225 will crank, won稚 start

/ CT225 will crank, won稚 start #1  

GJohnson

Tractor
Bobcat ct225, ford 2000, IH 1086, IH 966, too many
Hi everyone! New to site. I have been looking at posts for a long time. I have way too many tractors not to!

Here is what I have going on and hope for help. CT225 turns over fine, but will not start.
1. Starting from the beginning, the only things that will keep it from CRANKING would be the switches on both PTOs, the seat switch and the treadle switch being at rest (centered). Is that correct?
2. I have completely drained the fuel, checking in sequence every hose and connection to the injectors. I will go through it...Initially I thought my issue was just starvation because the flow from the tank was slowed to a trickle. The cap is not venting, so for now it is loosened. After connecting the fuel line back to the filter, removed filter and filled half+ of bowl with same fresh fuel. I then got all of the air out of the bowl and even checked the vent fuel line back to tank, all good. Once I knew I had fuel past the filter, I took the fuel line loose from lift pump to be sure flow was good. Put that line back on the lift pump and removed the fuel line going to the IP bolster nut from lift pump. Again, flow is good. All injector lines were removed, checked and replaced, return lines all replaced. All injectors were taken out, visually inspected, and replaced. Fuel was drawn up to each injector and nuts closed. I would think it would crank AND start now, but it will not. I checked the usual stuff prior to going through the system such as electric fuel shut off, fuel rail springs toward the hole of same shut off and can be moved with my finger easily. As stated, I have fuel getting to injectors, not sure if timing is off or pressure needed at injectors. I get a faint amount of white smoke from exhaust when cranking. I checked all three glow plug connections with ohmmeter and have juice. They are untested, but it is 85 degrees here. I am close to my mechanical limits on this issue. What am I missing or not doing?

I should say, I just bought this and do not have history on the tractor. However, it has 600 hours on it and I’ve tested every function, loader, three point, etc.. and all work fine.

Last edited:
   / CT225 will crank, won稚 start #2  
I would double ck the safety switches. Debris an get on the contact under the treadle. The hydro selector might not be fully seated in position. I had a 225 and it did the same thing probably a dozen times and it was always a switch somewhere.

/ CT225 will crank, won稚 start
Messmaker, would it crank over if that switch was affected? Like I said, it will turn over all day...just not start. Am I correct in my first question? Or is there something more to safety switches? I appreciate your input, a lot.

/ CT225 will crank, won稚 start #4  
I don't have the exact same model, but my first suspect would be the fuel shutoff solenoid. It has to snap to release the fuel rack on the injection pump in order for it to deliver fuel to the injectors. There are probably two coils on that relay, a momentary coil that snaps loudly to open it when the key initially turns on, and another maintained coil with lower current draw that stays energized while in the key is in the run position to keep the solenoid open. I had that relay go bad on my CT335 and it would just crank continuously with not even a sputter. (It's the only mechanical failure I've experienced so far in almost 10 years of ownership) If both of those coils are doing their job on the solenoid, the rack on your injection pump should be free to move with your throttle and your pump should be able to deliver pressurized fuel to the injectors. So my recommendation is to take a second look at that fuel shutoff solenoid to make sure its actually opening and staying open. It was a stock part at my dealer and literally only takes a couple minutes to change.

Last edited:
Milkman, I really wish it were that simple. That is really good advise but I know with a great deal of certainty that isn’t the issue. I have had the shut off out of the tractor a minimum of 4 times over the last couple of days. I am now leaning toward a weak IP. Like I said, I have fuel up to the injectors, but it doesn’t seem like much pressure. Since I don’t have any way to test this, I compared it to a kubota 2370 output at injector. The CT225 didn’t have as much fuel coming out. Both were set to idle and cranked over. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

/ CT225 will crank, won稚 start #6  
When the solenoid releases the rack, there should be an idle spring on the opposite side of the rack that is supposed to move the rack to the starting position. That closes off the bleed ports in the pump. If the solenoid is releasing, figuring out if the fuel rack is actually moving to the start position would be the next logical step in the process. There may be access to the idle spring and idle control shaft on the opposite side from the shutoff, but I can't really say for sure. It just sounds to me like the next place to start poking.

I had that thought last night, Milkman. I pulled the plate off below the IP and turned the key to on position. I can see the pin in the rack move toward the shut off. I can move that pin with a finger easily. Over the course of a week messing with this thing, I have had no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, no fuel in oil or any place it should not be. All things just lead me back to a weak IP or a full set of faulty injectors (seems unlikely). It never even tries to fire. Not once in a week of going over it and over it. I am hoping someone will look at this that has seen a weak pump and not a failed pump. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated, sir. If you think of anything else, please advise.

/ CT225 will crank, won稚 start #8  
Noting that you have had your injectors out you might consider pulling them, hooking up lines and letting them spray on cardboard. Remembering all the while that is high pressure and staying safe. Your spray pattern should tell you something.

Winston, That is a good idea to know if I have fuel getting to the cylinders at all, and obviously what kind of pattern I have on each one, if I do have pressure from the IP. It would not tell me if the pump is weak or injectors bad, but you’re right. It would be a great start. I see you’re a fairly close neighbor. Where do you buy parts for your machine? Assuming you’ve had to buy anything. I called Four Bros. out of Royce City/Terrell and that guy acted like it was a UFO. They are a Kioti dealer...