Custom ballast boxes

/ Custom ballast boxes #1  

Luke82

Tractor
Ford 6600
I know there have been quite a few custom ballast boxes built and shared in various threads because I've looked at a bunch of them. I'm hoping to get a consolidated listing going as I'm sure there are ones out there I haven't seen and probably many more that some of you have built, but haven't shared on here yet.

A ballast box is probably the most underrated piece of equipment IMO. Many of us, myself included, just throw something heavy like a box blade on the back when doing loader work. However, I've seen some really awesome custom ones out there with everything from integrated trailer hitches, hooks for logging chains, pvc tubes embedded in the concrete to create storage for shovels, rakes, and other stuff.

Please share some pics of your creations so those like myself that want something custom, but aren't that creative, can get some ideas of what can be done.

/ Custom ballast boxes #4  
This was my creation... 2x2x1 ft... Four 2 inch ABS tubes for tool holders (spray can caps to keep crud out of tubes), and weighing in somewhere around 500 (plus) pounds .. Tractor is a SCUT weighing at about 1400 pound's... Made it QH compatible.... And I [normally] use "check chains" to keep it where I want so it does not creep down to where it drags on the ground.... Also lift hoop in case I need to pick it up if it falls over or move it for some reason and not on QH....

20190513_134544.jpg

Dale

/ Custom ballast boxes #5  
I know there have been quite a few custom ballast boxes built and shared in various threads because I've looked at a bunch of them. I'm hoping to get a consolidated listing going as I'm sure there are ones out there I haven't seen and probably many more that some of you have built, but haven't shared on here yet.

A ballast box is probably the most underrated piece of equipment IMO. Many of us, myself included, just throw something heavy like a box blade on the back when doing loader work. However, I've seen some really awesome custom ones out there with everything from integrated trailer hitches, hooks for logging chains, pvc tubes embedded in the concrete to create storage for shovels, rakes, and other stuff.

Please share some pics of your creations so those like myself that want something custom, but aren't that creative, can get some ideas of what can be done.

This is what I built...

KC

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/190530-made-3-point-weight-box.html?highlight=

/ Custom ballast boxes
Thanks guys! Some great stuff there!

/ Custom ballast boxes #7  
Do you use suitcase weights? I built a rack to store my suitcase weights that is also Quick Hitch compatible so I can carry it for rear ballast. I'll try to get some pics.

/ Custom ballast boxes #8  
I helped a friend get a weight set out of his basement and he gave me the weights. I had an old dirt scoop, so I modified it a bit and made it to hold the weights. Totals 1100 lbs.

Ballast 001.jpg001.jpg003.jpgBallast 001.jpgWeights in the ballast 002.jpgBallast in  dirt scoop 002.jpgBallast painted 001.jpg

/ Custom ballast boxes #9  
I just did mine this week. Well, I’ll call it 90% done. I’m not going to paint it until spring. I want to make sure I don’t have the urge to make any modifications or additions after I paint it. It holds 30 4x8x16 blocks and is quick hitch compatible. I had 18 blocks on hand and most of the steel I have had for over 2 decades. It’s in the ballpark of 1100 lbs. I cut and drilled everything first so it made assembly easy.
IMG_1320.JPGIMG_1324.JPGIMG_1332.JPGIMG_1329.JPG