Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #1  

Aviatordave

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Hey folks,

I got a project that I’m starting on that involves some 20ga galvanized steel. I haven’t picked up the metal yet. I’ll have it tomorrow, will probably start work on it this weekend.

I have to cut several pieces out of a 48”x96” sheet. All straight cuts. No curves.

I’ve fabricated a lot but have very little experience with large, thin sheets. I own a set of aviation snips. Think I’ll be ok with the straight snips on 20ga galvanized steel or am I asking for really sore hands?
Should I be looking at a different tool? A nibbler? I can use a grinder with a cut off wheel but I’m hoping to avoid the mess.

What’s your experience?

-Dave

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #2  
I find that snips really bugger up the material. They are my last choice for any kind of cutting.

Air nibbler good for light material but makes a mess with a million little bits. Also, wide curf.

Jig saw good (I have a worm drive saw) but SLOW and not terribly accurate.

PLASMA, Good, but will make ugly smoke on galvanized. And turn material edges yellow. Also, I can never do anything good with PLASMA. Just nice cuts, when it doesn't matter.

Metal cutting Circ Saw Blade. Never tried. Probably good for straight cuts.

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #3  
I use a metal carbide tipped metal cutting blade in a circular saw for metal roofing. It will work for your project. Do confirm it's a metal cutting blade. Wear eye and ear protection. The blade throws little bits of metal. It's fast and cool. unlike an abrasive blade.

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #4  
I've just finished cutting a several roofing panels and I've done other cutting on thin flat steel.
Tools used:
Snips - ok if you have superman hands
Nibbler - great if you have superman hands
Air Nibbler - don't have but would probably do good, but let the chips fly
HF 14 Gauge 4 Amp Heavy Duty Metal Shears - GREAT if metal is flat, corrugated not so good
Angle grinder with a thin blade - very good but I had difficulty following a line and LOTS of sparks
Reciprocating saw w/ good metal cutting blade - Excellent but material needed to be clamped tightly
Jigsaw - couldn't find a special blade, but pretty good for flat metal. Again clamp tightly.
Circular saw w/ special blade - good but threw a lot of small metal pieces.

For your purpose I'd try the Heavy Duty Metal Shears (~$50), if not that then the Air nibbler (if you have one). then the Jigsaw.

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #5  
I find that snips really bugger up the material. They are my last choice for any kind of cutting.

Air nibbler good for light material but makes a mess with a million little bits. Also, wide curf.

Jig saw good (I have a worm drive saw) but SLOW and not terribly accurate.

PLASMA, Good, but will make ugly smoke on galvanized. And turn material edges yellow. Also, I can never do anything good with PLASMA. Just nice cuts, when it doesn't matter.

Metal cutting Circ Saw Blade. Never tried. Probably good for straight cuts.

YUP!
Metal cutting circular saw blade.

I have both the heavy duty shears and a nibbler, and I would not use either.
The 7-1/4" metal cutting saw blade is perfect for straight cuts.
Wear eye and hearing protection

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #6  
   / Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #7  
Hey folks,

I got a project that I’m starting on that involves some 20ga galvanized steel. I haven’t picked up the metal yet. I’ll have it tomorrow, will probably start work on it this weekend.

I have to cut several pieces out of a 48”x96” sheet. All straight cuts. No curves.

I’ve fabricated a lot but have very little experience with large, thin sheets. I own a set of aviation snips. Think I’ll be ok with the straight snips on 20ga galvanized steel or am I asking for really sore hands?
Should I be looking at a different tool? A nibbler? I can use a grinder with a cut off wheel but I’m hoping to avoid the mess.

What’s your experience?

-Dave

If it were me I treat myself to a new electric tool for $44 or maybe a cordless one for more $$$...

KC

Here's a link to 1 of these metal shears:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-4-A...ivel-Head-Electric-Metal-Shear-3650/300676586

Now if it was near my birthday, this is what I would choose:

Milwaukee 2635-2 M18 18V Cordless 18 Gauge Double Cut Shear

Last edited:
   / Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #8  
I've made quite a few cuts with the snips in the first picture here: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/420035-tool-time-tbn-post5597652.html#post5597652

The angle of the handles and the size of the grips cut out the hand stress and fatigue considerably. I've been able to make straight cuts across ribbed roof panels with little trouble. No chips, no sparks, no noise.

Some tools (7-1/4"metal cutting saw Blade) are simply better for specific jobs.
I'll bet that you would not use a battery powered grease gun either.

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #9  
I used a circular saw for many of the panels. It left a very ragged edge, quite capable of tearing skin.

And no, I don't see a need for a battery grease gun.

/ Cutting 20ga galvanized sheet #10  
Depending on the piece sizes, have your supplier shear as much for you as possible.