Cutting grass

/ Cutting grass #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Need advice please. I致e got 3 acres under the power wires, duke power easement. Appx 250 yards long, 75 wide. Slopes away and to the left but not bad. I can稚 do much with the land except pay taxes, graze cattle, horses etc, maybe grow hemp? but no structures. I also have a 1 acre cleared circle adjacent.

I知 building a private golf driving range and chipping area. You folks are invited! I致e cleared the garbage with ratchet rake and now dragging with heavy screen type material to smooth, all good.

I知 looking for something to cut grass in the range and circle. I have a Kubota 1140 rtv that can pull almost anything! Most amazing vehicle I致e ever owned!

Im leaning toward a gang of reel mowers I can pull with the rtv. They come in 3, 5, and 7 reel configs.

I知 going to speak to the local driving range owner but figured you folks would have good advice.

BTW. I have a mx5800 tractor but that seems like overkill.

I知 going to have an acre around my house in zoysia which will require a different solution.

Thx

/ Cutting grass #2  
Sharpening a reel mower sounds like a challenge...but I have never used one. I would use a pull behind finish mower with its own engine.

/ Cutting grass #3  
Maybe good second hand zero turn or tow behind swisher mower.

/ Cutting grass #4  
Getting the grass low enough to simulate a fairway is going to take a reel mower. I've spent over 50 years on fairways and never have seen them cut any other way. Or maybe I did and didn't know how a specific machine operated. lol But I'll go with the former.

/ Cutting grass #5  
Getting the grass low enough to simulate a fairway is going to take a reel mower. I've spent over 50 years on fairways and never have seen them cut any other way. Or maybe I did and didn't know how a specific machine operated. lol But I'll go with the former.

Most of the 3 acres will be a driving range....no need for golf turf quality cut.

/ Cutting grass #6  
Once you've cut with a reel,you will be hooked.

/ Cutting grass #7  
There used to be a golf course across from where I grew up and nearby driving range. I worked Saturdays at the range as a kid mowing around club house with push mower and picking up golf balls. They had these things looked like an umbrella, pipe on bottom with two wires. You push over ball and it would so into the canvas bag.
Early in the morning the owner would set these large wire baskets down middle at the 50,75,100,etc. yard signs. I'd walk back and forth dumping into wire basket.
By about noon I'd see owner coming along in his 58 Chevy truck, Dr Pepper for me. We'd load all the large baskets.
What a job that was! He and wife had two sizes of small baskets they'd fill. $1.25 small, $1.75 large basket.
Back then he had a belly mower for tractor.
I remember thinking with all the floodlights they had it must have had quite an overhead.
I'm thinking like you said it doesn't have to be perfect...just largest finish mower you could get a deal on. I assume nowadays they have some equipment to pick balls up.

/ Cutting grass #8  
   / Cutting grass #9  
   / Cutting grass
Thx everyone, this place is great!

Microsoft, for some reason, has shut down my e mail, security issues? To keep my 30 year old e mail address I must wait 30 days. I won’t get into it but it’s a typical circular exercise. You would think after 40 years they could figure this stuff out.

I’m only worried I’m missing some suggestions from you folks and just want to say thx.

Thx!