Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
So I have been looking at new tractors and getting closer to my decision as far as manufacturer. I currently have a 12 x 12 shuttle shift. I have tested some new tractors this month and I never thought I would say, I am leaning towards HST. They have come a long ways and are smooth and easy to operate. I have also tested the power-reverser and they are nice as well (no more clutching).

My biggest concern is losing power to the ground with HST but I really like the idea of not having to use a gear drive, even a power-reverser.

Main Tasks (16 acres):

1. Grabbing and moving logs, limbs and brush with Grapple.
2. Moving gravel and dirt around
3. Lots of grading. Still building lawn areas on property.
4. Tilling small 1/2 acre garden.
5. Maintaining 1/4 mile drive.
6. Bush Hogging a couple of acres.

My property is somewhat hilly and tractor will be going up and down. My current gear drive handles it no problem. Is the HST going to struggle? I am worried I am going to lose power to the ground with HST.

I know this topic has been beat to death on here but what are your toughts and opinions again on this subject?

Thanks

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #2  
My TC40DA has HST. I run out of tractor weight before power. I can spin the tires pushing into a dirt pile. It runs the 6' Bush Hog cutter and Land Pride 6' tiller just fine.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #3  
If you are really concern about not having enough power... buy more HP.

I didn't want HST but got it for the wife to be able to use tractor... best thing I ever did. She almost never uses the tractor but I sure do love the HST. It gets so much more work done and I'm not tired and sore at the end of the day.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #4  
My machine at work was a 12x12 clutch no power reversal.
56 PTO HP

My personal machine is a hydro also 56 PTO HP.

I don’t miss the 12x12.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #5  
My main tasks are the same as yours, and the only time I wanted a gear tractor was for pulling a big two furrow plow in tough sod. Low range would pull it fine but not quite fast enough to flip it completely, and medium range was geared a bit too high and was working the HST too hard for my liking.
Pulling a big box blade is fine in low range for the lots of earth moving I've done.
IMG_2927.jpg

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #6  
My HST Branson has a big oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I do nearly everything in middle range even climbing steep roads. It's not been a problem. The ability to change ground speed without changing engine speed or stopping to shift gears has been very useful on my steep mostly forested land. The Branson is 6000 lbs with loader and loaded tires and 37hp at the engine. When pulling it runs out of traction before it runs out of power to the ground.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #7  
I have two HST tractors and would never go back to gear. I've never run out of power before the tires broke loose and I've done some fairly large excavations. Would have taken considerably longer to do this one with a gear machine:

IMG_000369.JPG

Some newer HST's like the Kubota L series, have 6 speed ranges and some can be switched on the fly with no clutching or stopping.

You do loose a few PTO HP with an HST, but I bought a 60HP tractor to compensate.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #8  
Small SCUT (MF GC-1715) but has HST & 25HP, will dig holes and bury itself (in 4WD) before running out of power....

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #9  
So I have been looking at new tractors and getting closer to my decision as far as manufacturer. I currently have a 12 x 12 shuttle shift. I have tested some new tractors this month and I never thought I would say, I am leaning towards HST. They have come a long ways and are smooth and easy to operate. I have also tested the power-reverser and they are nice as well (no more clutching).

My biggest concern is losing power to the ground with HST but I really like the idea of not having to use a gear drive, even a power-reverser.

Main Tasks (16 acres):

My property is somewhat hilly and tractor will be going up and down. My current gear drive handles it no problem. Is the HST going to struggle? I am worried I am going to lose power to the ground with HST.

I know this topic has been beat to death on here but what are your toughts and opinions again on this subject?

Thanks

For what you are wanting to do I am reasonably certain HST will be the way to go. Direct gear is better for heavy duty ground engagement which is something you have not included in your list.

Don't get me wrong, I do like gears and it is what I have, but today's HST is much better than before.

Just my 2 cents

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #10  

Main Tasks (16 acres):

Thanks
The only downsides to the HST I have found is if you are on hilly ground an HST won't hold speed on a grade like a geared transmission will, up or down. Down being the biggest problem, I have to ride the brakes when mowing down my 15 to 20% grades making the cruise control somewhat useless. . Other than that I like it for everything else.