Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #21  
------------

I think 60" should be plenty for most uses. Wider would not be my first choice, especially in the woods.
----------------

True for tractors, but not true for skid steer, CTL and my Versahandler with 4 wheel steering. If the grapple fits, the machine will clear the trees.

P7150016.JPG
P4110074.JPG

Last edited:
   / Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #22  
One thing that seems useful no matter what style you go with is get one where the clamshell comes down and makes contact with the lower teeth give you more of a tweezer-like ability. I'm sure many do this, but some slide past each other . If they connect I find it useful for grabbing a single rock or small piece of brush that dropped out of the grapple on my way to a pile.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet.
I wouldn't recommend going with anything other than EA Attachments. They've got a couple videos of their wicked root rake grapple on their SVL I do believe.

I dont think they make a ctl grapple. Just the dudes brother(construction attachments) and at those weights there is a lot of other grapples a lot cheaper.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #24  
I am leaning towards a single lid instead of the dual lid, and the shorter bottom. This will be for a svl75. I have no ability to try them out so watching vids and etc.. my main thing will be woods cleanup, lots of old downed trees, honeysuckle, and undergrowth. I like the bigger rake style lid with ability for back dragging. Anybody got both or bought one and wish they羆*e got the other?
I bought a no-name heavy duty (aka heavy 3/8 mild steel plate) root rake (short base) style with a single lid. Works ok for pushing out roots but not good for moving wood. The single lid also has trouble grasping odd shaped pieces like large tree trunks with a wye in them and I can't grab a full load of logs each time. Mild steel tines are heavy and easy to bend.

I now wish I bought a long bottom style with double lids. I'd find a grapple that was made of AR300/AR400 and lighter weight (ie. 1/4 AR300 will be stiffer than 1/2 mild steel). I'd also spec that all pins were fully bolted and everything needs to be grease-able.

Most of the time I want the grapple for hauling logs, wood and brush. I am tempted to add a thumb onto my forks for the logs. I never feel like I get a full load when handling brush on my current setup.

Put a grill guard on your tractor as your first priority. I was an unhappy camper when I discovered I punched a hole in my new M59 plastic grill. Also make sure your hoses and steel lines are protected, tucked up and out of the way.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #25  
I have a root rake type with single lid made by WR Long. I really like it. I also welded up a brush guard which is needed when using a grapple. Make sure your grapple is as wide as your front tire width. That way you are not driving over debris when pushing up a load.

Club- Clearing Pine Tree Stand 2-25-08 011.jpg

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #26  
I dont think they make a ctl grapple. Just the dudes brother(construction attachments) and at those weights there is a lot of other grapples a lot cheaper.

I didn’t find anything in the EA lineup that I liked for my M59. The largest 125hp and larger grapple was too excessive and the next size down wasn’t enough. I ended up buying a Favor grapple which is really made for a skid steer and I’ve been very satisfied with it. I paid close to 3k so it wasn’t cheap either though. I didn’t care about the price. I’ve welded enough implements back together to know I didn’t want a repeat of that.

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet.
I didn稚 find anything in the EA lineup that I liked for my M59. The largest 125hp and larger grapple was too excessive and the next size down wasn稚 enough. I ended up buying a Favor grapple which is really made for a skid steer and I致e been very satisfied with it. I paid close to 3k so it wasn稚 cheap either though. I didn稚 care about the price. I致e welded enough implements back together to know I didn稚 want a repeat of that.

Ok, I like this grapple. All ar400 and pretty simple. 850ish lb. looks like $3500. I like how tight it closes.

Home

Faver 8410X & 627SCX Grapple Rake - www.faverinc.com - YouTube

/ Deciding on grapple type, not brand yet. #28