Deere 750 clutch stuck

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #1  

svlsmokey

Tractor
Branson 3520h
My dad bought a house that came with a Deere 750. It has about 670 hours. Looks to be in decent shape - starts easy and runs smooth. But, it sat outdoors for 3 years and the clutch is stuck in the engaged position. The pedal and linkage move freely. I adjusted a little slack out of the pedal, but it won't disengage. Any suggestions on freeing it up other than tearing it all apart?

It also might need a new rear tire. I'll check at the local tire shop. Area there any other good sources?

Thanks

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #2  
Rust has stuck clutch plate to flywheel. Do not spray rust buster on it,that will ruin disc. Use a bungee,strap or rope to tie clutch pedal down as if full depressd with foot. Leave it overnight,a few days or month occasionally checking to see if clutch has released. With pedal tied down (ENGINE OFF OF COURSE) pull inspection plate and use large screwdriver or pry bar to pry clutch away from flywheel. Start in gear then while traveling holding clutch pedal down stomp the brakes. Put a plow on 3 point,raise plow,kill engine,put in low gear and start in gear. DRive to an area you don't mind making a mess and do some plowing. As it plows,repeatly push and releash clutch pedal. If none of those jar it loose,alow an old hand to have a go at it before splitting tractor.

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #3  
My dad bought a house that came with a Deere 750. It has about 670 hours. Looks to be in decent shape - starts easy and runs smooth. But, it sat outdoors for 3 years and the clutch is stuck in the engaged position. The pedal and linkage move freely. I adjusted a little slack out of the pedal, but it won't disengage. Any suggestions on freeing it up other than tearing it all apart?

It also might need a new rear tire. I'll check at the local tire shop. Area there any other good sources?

Thanks

Three years sitting outdoors is going to make that a pain to get loose.
Do you have any PTO implements? If memory serves me correctly it has a internal overrun clutch on the PTO which fights you breaking the clutch/flywheel rusted together apart.
But hook up a PTO implement if available, engage the PTO and have it in gear and start the tractor. Increase rpms to 540 PTO and go put the implement to work with as heavy a load as possible. While doing this stomp hard and release brakes quickly. The clutch pedal should be down, clutch released throughout this process.
Your goal is to put as much load on the rusted clutch plate/flywheel connection as possible while the tractor calls for the clutch to be released (pedal down). This will probably take a while with it sitting for 3 years.
Once free, anytime the tractor is parked, keep the clutch pedal in a depressed position. Many tractors have a flip pin for just this purpose. If not so equipped, you may be able to make one. I have seen folks use a block of wood between the tractor frame and the pedal rod for this also. This frozen clutch can happen in a week or so in humid areas even with the tractor stored inside so the clutch store out of contact with the flywheel is a must.
As stated on other comment, do not spray oily rust inhibitors on the flywheel unless you want to replace the clutch as oils will ruin the clutch material.
Be patient! 3 yrs of rust has to be over stressed for separation to happen.

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #4  
Chain it to a stout tree, put it in high gear and slack in the chain (heavy chain). Keep the clutch pedal depressed and when you get to the end of the chain, one of 2 things will occur, either the disc will break loose from the flywheel or the tractor will stall.

Use the drawbar to chain to, not anything else.

When not using it. keep the clutch pedal depressed using a block of wood to keep the pedal depressed or some tractors will have a hook welded on them by the pedal for keeping it held down (DEPRESSED) when not in use.

You could split it but I've used the tree method before.

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #5  
I suggest to acquire a 3 pt post hole digger & drill some holes in the ground or acquire pto tiller & till some ground with clutch pedal depressed.

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #7  
IMHO attempting to loosen stuck clutch powering a trans driven pto with an attached PHD would be a ""lot safer for the tractor &/or driver"" than jerking on a chain with slack in it attached to a big tree.

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #8  
IMHO attempting to loosen stuck clutch powering a trans driven pto with an attached PHD would be a ""lot safer for the tractor &/or driver"" than jerking on a chain with slack in it attached to a big tree.
Depends entirely on the operators level of competence.

I did it to a Massey 1085 with a hung clutch and used a big oak tree. Clutch pedal depressed, tractor in 5th with no TA engaged. Got to the end of the chain and bang, the clutch came unstuck. Took about 10 seconds.

needless to say, I now only own hydraulic shuttle units. NO DRY CLUTCH to ever hang.

/ Deere 750 clutch stuck #9  
:eek: IMHO my tractor driving skills have drastically diminished due to advancing age since I started driving tractors in 1953!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-14 103821.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-14 103821.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 68
   / Deere 750 clutch stuck #10  
Some common thread in the comments thus far.
1) put the tractor under a load
2) have the clutch pedal depressed

A couple of us have suggested a PTO load, a couple have suggested driving only. 1 is a very much safety concern suggesting a sudden jarring stop.

Personally I like the dual load approach of a load on the PTO as well as a load on the Drive Train. Regardless of what approach you do, please do so safely! The chained to a tree sudden stop is a potentially serious injury looking for a victim. The list of things that are likely to go wrong are mind boggling.