Diesel Gelling

/ Diesel Gelling #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
What happens during gelling?

Is gelling "Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP)"?

Is there anyway to tell if your fuel could gel by putting it into a clear container and shaking it, or something similar?

Here what happened what make me concerned.

I have an bulk tank that has off road fuel, heating oil. It was delivered before it was cut for winter. They delivered 200 gallons and I used about 20 or so gallons in early fall. In December I added 2 containers of Power service (white bottle) (will treat 200 gallons). After I put the Power Service in the bulk tank I put the hose in the fill opening of the container and pumped about 20 gallons around to mix it up. The other day I pumped the treated fuel out the tank into (2) 5 gallon cans. The temp was about -10F. The fuel seems slightly thicker but not by much, almost what you would expect at -10F. But what concerned me the foam was also thicker and didn't disappear as quickly as it does in the summer. So is this a problem or is this normal for that cold temp.

I have not used the tractor maybe an hour since using the treated fuel. It was in the upper teens and warmer when I did. The tractor is garaged (warm) most of the time.

I talked with a "true Vermont farmer" he said that the power service should be used more than what the container says. He says that I shouldn't be afraid to dump 32 oz of Power Service into a tank full on my tractor which is 20 gallons.

Can Power Service be over used??

Thanx!

/ Diesel Gelling #2  
Derek, your farmer friend was right. I guess at some point you could "over use" Power Service, but just using a couple of ounces per gallon sure isn't close to it.

/ Diesel Gelling #3  
You can't overuse it but the recommendations from the mfg. are more than adequate. Having temps of -10 to -20 is not uncommon for us. We always put in one gallon of powerservice to 300 gallons of fuel. We have never, not even one time, had any fuel gel. Powerservice guarantees you that it won't gel. And it won't. The foaming you see is normal in the cold temps. If you mixed it according to recommendations it won't gel.

When you put the fuel in the container you will notice that it is a milkier color when it is starting to gel. Now the only thing that will cause the fuel to freeze is if you have alot of water in it. This shouldn't be a problem with a good tank. If you are concerned take some inside a warm area and let it get up to room temp. If you notice separating and water forming then you have a problem.

/ Diesel Gelling #4  
Fill a glass container with a sample from your tank and set it outside in the shade.

If it's gelling, you'll see wax settle to the bottom.

/ Diesel Gelling #5  
Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't Bob Skurka say in another thread that Power Service in the white bottle did little or nothing to prevent fuel gelling. And that there was a product called Arctic Express Diesel Fuel Antigel made by PS for that purpose.

Or did I completely misunderstand? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Diesel Gelling #6  
I don't know what Bob said but Powerservice is 100% guaranteed to prevent gelling. We never get treated fuel. #1 it's more money and #2 the cetane level is lower. We get down to -20 and once in awhile lower and our diesel has never gelled and it's only treated with powerservice. It's 100% diesel and not cut at all with kerosene.

/ Diesel Gelling #7  
Let me quote directly from the back of the white Power Service bottle and then you folks can make your own choices.

Diesel fuel supplement provides optimum fuel reliability even in sub-zero temperatures when engine is in continuous operation. If engine is to be shut down for extended periods during severe cold, add Power Service Diesel Lube or Artvic Express Diesel Fuel Antigel.

The bold lettering that I used is also in bold on the back of the jug.

I don't know bout you folks but my TC-40D isn't running in my pole barn 24 hours a day in the continuous mode, how bout yours? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Diesel Gelling #8  
No, actually I said I was unsure about PowerService's anti-gel properties because while we distribute automotive chemicals, we do not distribute PowerService brand. I was familiar with other brands, from use in our truck fleet and because we distribute them, I did indicate the Gold Eagle product Arctic Express. I have since looked over PowerService and it is basically the same thing. In fact we now distribute it as well as several other brands. I did also say that from what I can see from our fleet use, all of the various brands seem to work equally as well and that I had no preference but I sure would not pay more for any particular brand.

/ Diesel Gelling #9  
Bob that still does not change what is printed on the back of the Power Service jug. It looks to me like the PS folks don't believe in their own product for cold weather use.

/ Diesel Gelling #10  
I have had it sit in tractors for a couple months and never had a problem with gelling. Here is from the website.

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost

This is the product of choice for optimal winter operation. Diesel Fuel Supplement® contains the most effective antigel additive package available in the diesel industry - no blending with No.1 diesel or kerosene is needed to achieve maximum winter protection. The cetane improver in Diesel Fuel Supplement provides up to 4 numbers of cetane boost for easier cold starts and a smoother running engine, while detergents clean fuel injectors to provide more power and less fuel consumption.

While it is preferable to use Diesel Kleen in the non-winter months for maximum injector clean-up and a cetane boost of 6 numbers, Diesel Fuel Supplement can be used on a year-around basis. Although Diesel Fuel Supplement is an antigel, it will not harm your engine to use year-around.

Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40°F. - No Gelling Guaranteed!

Equals the performance of a 50/50 blend of No. 2 and No. 1 diesel fuels
Lowers Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) as much as 36°F. - keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax
Contains anti-icing additives - protects against fuel-filter icing
Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers - engines run smoother with less power lag and reduced emissions
Cleans dirty fuel injectors - exceeds Cummins L10 Injector Depositing Test Superior specifications
Reduces visible exhaust emissions (HC, PM) up to 50 percent and reduces NOx and CO emissions up to 28 percent
Increases power - reduces need for downshifting during high-load conditions
Decreases fuel consumption up to 8 percent - fuel savings exceed cost of additive
Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication - protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
Stabilizes fuel in equipment tanks - improves diesel fuel's resistance to thermal and oxidative degradation
Reduces piston and combustion chamber deposits - reduces soot blow-by and engine oil thickening
Stabilizes stored fuel - protects against conditions that promote microbial contamination
Does not contain any alcohol of any kind