Diverter valve

/ Diverter valve #12  
I have a front mounted hydraulic connection to the hydraulics and controls in the cab via two switches on the loader stick. Controls it perfectly

/ Diverter valve #13  
Smf let me explain. All you and doing with either (grapple) is powering them hydraulically.
The 3rd function is the "right" way but it's not cheap. You'd have a pair of quick connect hydraulic fittings out on the front of your loader for operation of the cylinders on your attachment.
The diverter valve is generic and you're on your own with hoses and fittings. Don't let this scare you off, it is very straightforward once you understand what you doing hydraulically. The diverter is an electrically controlled valve that you'll tie into (before) the dump cylinders. You'll then "plumb" (2 or 4 hoses), 2 to the loader plumbing and the other 2 might just get a pair of quick connect hydraulic fittings to "plug" your grapple into. This depends on this diverter valves location, but the alternative is just 2 hoses out of the diverter valve to a location usually on the loaders torque tube.
Hope this helps.

/ Diverter valve #14  
Diverter valve will work fine with any grapple... so will a true 3rd Function. It really comes down to what you want & pricing. We currently have a diverter valve on our NH & it does everything we need it to do.... & does it well.

A diverter valve will allow you to control the grapple (& control / feather the grapple) but you will only be able to do that while the diverter valve is energized & you will not have either the role or lift function at the same time, depending on how it is plumbed. You always only have 2 functions, the diverter valve gives you your third but only 2 work at the same time.

A true third function allow you to role / curl, lift & close the grapple all at the same time...

So the choice is yours...

Cheapest grapple... might be the clamp on thumb for your bucket.... but it is not a grapple. We were very lucky to purchase a 48" grapple (new) at auction for under $500 in 2019... (Again lucky) it is not the heaviest duty unit but works great for our needs... & does what a thumb on our bucket would not do.

/ Diverter valve #15  
Last edited:
   / Diverter valve #16  
The Westendorf Brush Crusher does not require any additional hydraulic function but I'm not familiar with how well they actually work. There are several YouTube videos showing them. They are built in Onawa, Iowa.

/ Diverter valve #17  
The one I looked at for my Massey diverted from the curl function when you hold the button. It looked like it would work well. I ended up getting a skid steer so never followed through..

/ Diverter valve #18  
Third Function Valve Kit for Kubota L2501, L3200, L3301, and L3901. electric push button control added to joystick.

Kubota Remote Hydraulic Kits | TractorInnovations manual diverter valve.

There are various videos on youtube showing how to install diverter valve kits including the one sold by Kubota dealers. I'm not sure if the Kubota dealers sell a Kubota or Landpride branded version.

I think Good Works Tractors has a discount code on their YT video for the Summit diverter kit.
Third Function Valve Kit for Kubota L2501, L3200, L3301, and L3901. electric push button control added to joystick.

Kubota Remote Hydraulic Kits | TractorInnovations manual diverter valve.

There are various videos on youtube showing how to install diverter valve kits including the one sold by Kubota dealers. I'm not sure if the Kubota dealers sell a Kubota or Landpride branded version.

I think Good Works Tractors has a discount code on their YT video for the Summit diverter kit.
I purchased and installed 'the Thumb' on my bucket and also purchased third function kit to operate it in unison with the bucket. I can lift/ curl and or dump at the same time as well as open or close the thumb, whatever suits my needs. I later wanted a rear hydraulic top link so I got a diverter valve from Tractor Innonvations. After installing this, just by pulling the knob on the diverter valve, my controls for the thumb now operate the top link on the rear of the tractor. A simple move of the valve switches from front to rear operation. The guy who runs Tractor Innovations is fantastic to work with. He goes way above the norm for making sure that you are happy with your purchase and that it is working as it should after you are done installing it. He actually called me back after the sale to be sure it was working properly for me.

/ Diverter valve
I just purchased the thumb and the 3rd function kit as mentioned by jbf43. Will see how it installs.

/ Diverter valve #20  
I just purchased the thumb and the 3rd function kit as mentioned by jbf43. Will see how it installs.
Congrats on the purchase....but incase anyone else is following I'll do some explaining.
There are 4 common ways to power a grapple and I'll Go over those.

1. You can simply use long hoses and rear remotes if you have them. IF you have rear remotes already this is the cheapest and simplest option cause all it requires are a couple hoses the length of the tractor, and your choice of quick couplers for the grapple. But this isnt ergonomic on most tractors but it depends on the location of your remote valve lever. If its beside the seat like mine....makes it kinda awkward to take your hand off the loader joystick and reach beside the seat for the lever everytime you want to open/close the grapple.

2. Next easiest is a diverter. Its simply an electric controlled solenoid valve that can divert either the raise/lower function or the curl/dump function. So your loader joystick works just as it always has, but you add a button to it. You press the button, and move the joystick to whatever function you are diverting controls the grapple. On mine I choose raise/lower. So raise/lower works normal....but push the button and move the joystick to raise/lower now moves the grapple instead. These are a little easier to install than a 3rd because they require fewer hoses, and you dont have to get hung up on understanding things like power beyond.

3. An electric 3rd function. Also requires power and either two buttons or a rocker switch on the joystick. These are plumbed in series with the loader valve, either before, or immediately after off the loaders PB port. These are the ones that are either ON/OFF. So alot more difficult to grapple "delicately" because you have no manual valve to feather the speed.

4. A manual 3rd function. This is another manual valve with a lever. These require an extra hose vs the electric 3rd's because they need a PB cartridge of their own. And your hand also has to leave the loader joystick to grab the 3rd valve....wherever you have located it. They do make loader joystick valves with this already built into it in the same casting too....so thats always an option. And you do have feathering ability because it is a manual valve. While more ergonomic than tying to the remotes because lever placement can be much closer to the loader joystick....it still isnt as good as a simple button on the joystick. So the most common methods people use are #2 and #3

Everyone gets hung up on a diverter....and being unable to do all 3 functions at once. But in reality it really isnt a hinderance....becauase trying to
do all 3 functions at once is complicated, and with limited hydraulic flow anyway.....you slow everything down. IE: you can do a single function at a time at 100% speed, or you can do 2 at a time at 50% speed, or you can do all 3 at 33.3% speed......You dont really gain anything. And after hundreds of hours on the seat with a diverter grapple....I can honestly say I have never wished I could raise and lower my loader at the same time I am opening and closing the lid of the grapple