DIY hydraulic hoses?

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
I HATE hydraulic line failures. They’re messy, expensive and time consuming, as you all know. My biggest complaint is that it costs a small fortune to get a hose made locally and it takes at least an hour and a half to get one made so, I’m looking at these Weatherhead T-420 crimpers with dies for Eaton fittings. They’re not cheap but, I figure 10 hoses or so and it should pay for itself, I spent $300 on 2 hoses for skid steer attachments on Friday. Then I came home an promptly broke one of the fittings so I had to go back and spend another $60 to get another one put on. Took 1/2 the day.

Has anyone else gotten one of these and made their own hoses? Is there some reason I shouldn’t make my own hoses?

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #2  
Are there no better options to make them. I have access to a crimper but there’s not a substantial savings in doing it.

/ DIY hydraulic hoses?
Are there no better options to make them. I have access to a crimper but there’s not a substantial savings in doing it.
My other option is a 5 hour round trip to San Antonio, where I'd save probably 25% over doing them locally. It's not enough savings to justify burning 2 more hours. Honestly, if it cost the exact same amount and just saved me the time, I consider that reason enough. The wasted time is really more valuable to me than the money, which is why I pay the higher local prices instead of driving and extra 2 hours.

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #4  
Inventory... You must match the fittings to your crimper dies and hose. Perhaps double the crimper cost in fittings unless your machine fittings are mostly the same.

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #5  
IMO...A better solution is to spend a few bucks on an a wide assortment of different type fittings (especially FM swivel) where an interim repair can be made using inexpensive generic hoses (kept on hand for temporary repairs)...while a custom replacement hose can be ordered online at very reasonable rates even with shipping etc...

I recommend 'Discount Hydraulic Hose'

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #6  
This is an issue based on location & supply & demand.... I'm lucky enough that I can drive 20 mins (either north or south of me) & be at a hydraulic hose dealer. I can usually have a hose made within 15 mins... Price is not cheap but as everyone knows time is money...

So if you can afford & justify the upfront cost for the equipment & the materials for repairs you need (& time savings) their is no reason not to make your own..... I personally couldn't for my needs because of my availability.... but I could see why others could... Time is money....

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #7  
I could see it if you were running maintance shop for a bunch of machines (commercial business) but for one or two tractors/back hoes.... Don think it would a savings.... MY local O'Riley auto parts and NAPA stores make hoses, I guess you could always make hoses for your neighbors to defray costs but then the amount of inventory would be daunting...

Dale

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #8  
You’d have to have a fortune in fittings to save a trip to town. I was looking at the affordable crimper options online and there’s bottle jack powered ones for under $200. I’m not sure how many dies you’d need to be any use.

/ DIY hydraulic hoses?
I could see it if you were running maintance shop for a bunch of machines (commercial business) but for one or two tractors/back hoes.... Don think it would a savings.... MY local O'Riley auto parts and NAPA stores make hoses, I guess you could always make hoses for your neighbors to defray costs but then the amount of inventory would be daunting...

Dale
2 excavators, a skid steer with at least 10 hydraulically powered attachments, the tractor and FEL, a couple of RTVs with a few hoses and a Kubota ZTR with a few lines. I've got a few hydraulic lines. Seems like I'm constantly busting one on a skid steer attachment.

/ DIY hydraulic hoses? #10  
I had 3 hoses made locally $$$$$, and decided to order premade US hoses and the elbows, adapters, and plugs for about 60% off. I found the company online in NE. One hose- Local: $120, Online: $47. I'm rehosing the Bobcat 331 at the moment.