Do I go with R4' or Turf tires?

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #11  
I do what you do. I mow 3 acres of yard, and blow 2 drives with my NH T1510. One is stone, one is blacktop. I had R-4's and switched to loaded turfs. Best thing I did. The turfs are MUCH easier on the yard, and, to my surprise, are better in moderate snow, especially on the paved drive. The R-4 tires would not back up on the blacktop. They would spin. I use a blower, so 2 inches or 2 feet, all the same. I suppose on ice, neither would be good. Just my opinion, good luck.

By the way, for me, turfs were cheaper........

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #12  
I've had R-4 tires on my last tractor...now I have R-3 Turfs on my current tractor.
I like R-4's, and as long as you stay off the lawn when it's wet (especially if you have slopes), I think R-4's will do fine for you. They will leave tire impressions on the lawn, but those are gone in a day or so (depending on the weight of your tractor).
My turfs do OK...but even with those, that lawn better be dry! I do have 5-12 degree slopes on my lawn, BTW.

All in all, I'd rather have R-4's...but I'm not going to replace my turfs with them. Just not worth the money (inless I found a super great deal!).

BTW, for snow removal, you'll likely want chains with any tire type.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #13  
If you operate mostly on cleared land turfs are a little easier on the lawn. They don't have the puncture resistance of an R4 and, as stated earlier, often have less load capacity. For my money I've gone with R4s on my last 3 tractors. At $800 each for the rears on my current tractor durability was the big deciding factor for me.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #14  
I looking at a Kubota B2920 that comes standard with R4's to get turf tires cost is approx 200.00 more.

Interesting on this price since the "build my Kubota" shows the R1 ag tires as standard and the R4 tires as being the highest priced. R3 Turf an R1 where only a few dollars different.

Roy

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #15  
Interesting on this price since the "build my Kubota" shows the R1 ag tires as standard and the R4 tires as being the highest priced. R3 Turf an R1 where only a few dollars different.

Roy

I see a lot of new CUTs with R-4 tires, so it's quite likely that's how some manufacturers ship them.
In fact, I'd say most CUTs have turfs or R-4 tires...R-3 Ag tires trailing far behind.
It that case, the R-4 may not be the "standard" tire, but they're the most frequently installed when delivered.
If gabrichter asked for an invoice, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a line item for those R-4 tires (although the dealer may eat the cost).

Now, whether R-4's are the "best"...that's open to opinion, but they seem to be popular.

Last edited:
   / Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #16  
I looking at a Kubota B2920 that comes standard with R4's to get turf tires cost is approx 200.00 more. 60% will be used to mow 3 acrea country yard with remaining 40% for snow blowing long driveway, misc loader work and a few gardens tilled in spring. Concerned if the R4's on this unit would be hard on the yard in the spring mowing when ground is softer from rains ect... Any real world use recommondations would be helpful.

R4s are a worst of all world compromise for a tractor, IMHO. They do resist rim-blowouts during loader work, but are lousy in every other application. They beat up lawns worse than turfs, they are absolutely horrible in mud and snow, and the deep lugs don't wear chains well. For tilling, of course, you'd be better off with AGs, but I wouldn't want to mow with them. Get turfs. It's what you need for mowing. Turfs with chains are great for snow work, and keep them on for springtime tilling. Plan on getting 2-link ladder chains.

JayC

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #17  
R4s are a worst of all world compromise for a tractor, IMHO. They do resist rim-blowouts during loader work, but are lousy in every other application. They beat up lawns worse than turfs, they are absolutely horrible in mud and snow, and the deep lugs don't wear chains well. For tilling, of course, you'd be better off with AGs, but I wouldn't want to mow with them. Get turfs. It's what you need for mowing. Turfs with chains are great for snow work, and keep them on for springtime tilling. Plan on getting 2-link ladder chains.

JayC

That was well said:thumbsup:

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #18  
R4s are a worst of all world compromise for a tractor, IMHO.

JayC

I think there are a substantial number of owners who don't share your opinion...but, what works for you, works for you!

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #19  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay4200

JayC

i completely agree with jay4200. i have a b7800 with r4's and i like them for what i do, but when snow plowing they suck for traction and don't chain up well. put chains on turf tires and she'll go on snow and ice. just leave them on for spring tilling and take them off for summer mowing as jay4200 said. if you don't get the turfs, you will be wishing you spent the extra money when you have to fight ALL the time to get traction in the snow while plowing.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #20  
When I was test driving tractors before my purchase almost 2 years ago, I was at a dealers lot just as the snow was melting.
All he had on his lot was a CT-235 Bobcat, just like I ended up buying, only it had Turf tires on it.
I went out for my test drive, and ended up getting it stuck in the snow in 2 wheel drive, and so I put it into 4 wheel drive and she barely pulled herself out

This almost made me not buy a bobcat

I ended up getting a better deal at another dealer, it had R4's on it, I had the tires filled, and last winter, she went anywhere I wanted her to go anytime I wanted I dont remember having a single issue with traction.

I did fill the rears with Rimguard, and a Bobcat is substantially heavier than a Bota.