Do I go with R4' or Turf tires?

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #21  
I have used ag, turfs and R4s. For the use you stated, I would get turfs. Negotiate for no charge change.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #22  
Let's be honest. R-4 tires look cool. They make a tractor look like one tough machine. Could that be why they sell so good? I bought them at first.

How come some people get stuck in an inch of snow and slide all over with turf tires, and others can clear 2 feet of snow from thier driveways?

Remember, Grandpa SHOVELED. He really didn't care about "what tire". Are we spoiled? :confused2:

Different choices for different jobs and preferences. If everybody was the same, this would be one boring world.........

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #23  
Let's be honest. R-4 tires look cool. They make a tractor look like one tough machine. Could that be why they sell so good? I bought them at first.

I do think looks is why some folks buy 'em...they do look cool, as you wrote.
I like 'em because of the width...R-4's are frequently wider then turfs. On a slope, those wider tires do add stability to the tractor. Also, the R-4's are smaller in diameter (lowering the center of gravity).
Of course, since I buy used tractors...what's mounted is what I use.

I guess what disappointed me so much with my 4400's turfs is driving up a mild slope (my lawn), about all they did was spin, even in 4WD. Really rutted the lawn. The lawn was damp, but not that wet. Never had that with my 790 and R-4's in similar circumstances.
Admittedly, this is an apples to oranges comparison since the 4400 weighs about 1000 lbs more then the 790 did.

How come some people get stuck in an inch of snow and slide all over with turf tires, and others can clear 2 feet of snow from thier driveways?

Good question...maybe they just don't know how to operate in the snow.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #24  
I see a lot of new CUTs with R-4 tires, so it's quite likely that's how some manufacturers ship them.
In fact, I'd say most CUTs have turfs or R-4 tires...R-3 Ag tires trailing far behind.
It that case, the R-4 may not be the "standard" tire, but they're the most frequently installed when delivered.
If gabrichter asked for an invoice, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a line item for those R-4 tires (although the dealer may eat the cost).

Now, whether R-4's are the "best"...that's open to opinion, but they seem to be popular.

Yes but the point I was trying to make is that the R3 turf tires should be lower invoice not an added $200 like the OP stated.

Popularity of the R4's might be based on the "thats all you can get" on some brands. They do not offer R1-Ag's as an option. I believe JD CUT's fall in that category. Not sure about NH, MF, Kioti, etc..

Roy

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #25  
R4s are a worst of all world compromise for a tractor, IMHO. They do resist rim-blowouts during loader work, but are lousy in every other application. They beat up lawns worse than turfs, they are absolutely horrible in mud and snow, and the deep lugs don't wear chains well. For tilling, of course, you'd be better off with AGs, but I wouldn't want to mow with them. Get turfs. It's what you need for mowing. Turfs with chains are great for snow work, and keep them on for springtime tilling. Plan on getting 2-link ladder chains.

JayC

Very well said. I got R4's on my B2320 and wish I would have gone with turf. Don't understand the $200 upcharge unless those are for Ag-turf, wihch look nice as well.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #27  
I have two tractors with R4's on them. Both are loader tractors. Both are involved in lawn mowing and on very wet ground too! I use a finish mower behind both tractors with superior results on wet grounds, i do custom mowing on large lawns and nobody i mow for has complained yet. Both tractors work in mud, snow, ice hard pack dirt and skid loggs with my winch on 3pt hitch and even dug a basement under a house.. .There a good tire. Good service on the road too.
The comment " R4s are a worst of all world compromise for a tractor, IMHO. They do resist rim-blowouts during loader work, but are lousy in every other application. They beat up lawns worse than turfs, they are absolutely horrible in mud and snow, and the deep lugs don't wear chains well. For tilling, of course, you'd be better off with AGs, but I wouldn't want to mow with them" I have close to 2000 hours on both tractors, here are some pictures of what i work in, i feel the statement is incorrect. I would noticed long before now. I guess every body is entitled to their opinion . . .John

Attachments

• my tractors.jpg
    my tractors.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 250
  • New Kioti.jpg
    New Kioti.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 190
  • My tractor 003.jpg
    My tractor 003.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 221
  • What a mess we get in to 028.jpg
    What a mess we get in to 028.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 161
  • My tractor 005.jpg
    My tractor 005.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 234
  • What a mess we get in to 026.jpg
    What a mess we get in to 026.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • What a mess we get in to 024.jpg
    What a mess we get in to 024.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 211
   / Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #28  
R-4's are not that great for traction. They are a tough tire against punctures and have a better weight rating for loader work.

Well put.

Philip.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #29  
I have turfs on my B2150 and they are nice for mowing close to the house and on flatter ground, I prefer the R$'s that I have on my L4200, I mow 5+ acres with a finish mower and they are fine on the grass, plus they are much much better for loader and ground engagement work, thats why you see them on industrial equipment.

Just my .02 worth

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #30  
If 60% of the use will be mowing, then turfs would be better. But don't be under the impression they are perfect -- in stubborn conditions, like wet grass or soft ground, even turfs can tear up the sod. If the grass is slippery, or you have to use 4WD or lock the diff, then any tire can tear up the sod.

I just got a B2920 with R4 tires, and they are rough on my grass. But for my uses of the tractor (which does not include mowing) they were the better choice. My smaller tractor has turfs, and that will be used for mowing.

I am a little skeptical about some of the raves I hear people saying about turfs in other conditions. I have used my smaller tractor in snow and mud, and the turfs sucked. They fill up with mud or snow very easily, and end up resembling cue balls. I'd much rather have R4s in those conditions.