Does Anyone Braze Anymore ??

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I had to make a split bushing today so I could use a Cat 1 top link on a Cat 2 implement. I brazed the short bushing pieces to the washers so the parts would be easier to find in the tool box and easier the assemble. Brazing was fast and easy. Maybe 5 minutes. I never hear anyone mention brazing now-a-days. Is it just to mundane to talk about or is it a process of the past? I still braze lots of stuff. If I tried to stick weld this it would be a mess.

SplitBushing.JPG

gg

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #2  
I still braze occasionally, my multi process will do DC TIG but have no need so far, may someday but dono, I'm gettin old!

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #3  
I have two stick welders and a mig but I still braze. The mig is a HF cheapy and only has a couple settings and usually blows through light metal too easily. The majority of my brazing is exhaust system piping and I find it easier and faster to braze. I usually use wire coat hangars and they do a great job. I've thought of buying a TIG but not worth the cost for the amount I'd use it.

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #4  
I have brazed many items and find it very handy for more delicate work. I have used it to clad bolts when used as an axle so they do not corrode when subjected to salt spray or calcium spray. There are many different alloys available and a little research will enlighten many with the tinsel strengths of the materials available. It is another tool in my kit-bag for repairs etc. Bob

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #5  
George,

Wire coat hangers for brazing? What am I missing here?

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #6  
I have used TIG brazing for cast using Alum-bronze rod. I liked it, very controllable.

I have not oxy/acetylene brazed anything.

I enjoy oxy/acetylene welding, but only do it in class for the student demonstrations.

Your braze looks great Gordon :D I would have TIG welded it only because it's easier for me.

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #7  
Unless he has a stash of coat hangers made of brass wire, that would be O/A fusion welding with mild steel. Brazing doesn't require melting the base metals to achieve joining. It's more like soldering in that respect.

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #8  
George,

Wire coat hangers for brazing? What am I missing here?

I don't know what you are missing. I was brazing something many years ago and ran out of brazing rod on a weekend. A welding buddy of mine told me to borrow some coat hangars from the wife to finish the job. I did and they worked great and I've been using them ever since. Try it sometime.
I just get the two sections of exhaust pipe cherry red and the feed the coat hangar. As it melts it flows right where it should. The brass hangars are getting harder to come by but once in a while a buddy of mine runs across a stash and drops them off. Last time I bought actual brazing rod was over ten years ago.
Maybe I should have called it fusion welding with mild steel as Dan said.

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #9  
I don't know what you are missing. I was brazing something many years ago and ran out of brazing rod on a weekend. A welding buddy of mine told me to borrow some coat hangars from the wife to finish the job. I did and they worked great and I've been using them ever since. Try it sometime.

I'd be happy to try it, but I only have coat hangars made with steel wire. Never seen brass wire coat hangars. Steel wire is welding, brass is brazing.

/ Does Anyone Braze Anymore ?? #10  
I have two stick welders and a mig but I still braze. The mig is a HF cheapy and only has a couple settings and usually blows through light metal too easily. The majority of my brazing is exhaust system piping and I find it easier and faster to braze. I usually use wire coat hangars and they do a great job. I've thought of buying a TIG but not worth the cost for the amount I'd use it.

To me; using "wire coat hangers", is gas welding.
When I "braze" I use brass rod.